5/31/2019 - Resource Duplication Bug Fix

Alex

17 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

Lmfao, so much for coming clean.

to be clear I had completely forgot about this... In my WEAK defense (and coming from a source already hated this wont mean much) ir was poo that told be about this and that he told Alex and poo told me Alex didn't care. I found out only later that "Alex didn't care" turned out to be Alex didn't respond. and since this has been brought back to my attention, I will foillow beans example and reroll and start fresh hoping that will be contrition enough for being misled.

• Upvote 1

That one example of the nuke exploit was January 19, 2019.   The market crash started almost the same week according to my weekly price records.  

I also have a bit of a concern that Alex fixed an exploit that he couldn't actually duplicate.  How is he supposed to test the fix if he could never duplicate it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, AkAk said:

That one example of the nuke exploit was January 19, 2019.   The market crash started almost the same week according to my weekly price records.  

I also have a bit of a concern that Alex fixed an exploit that he couldn't actually duplicate.  How is he supposed to test the fix if he could never duplicate it?

its trackable now not fixed

rawr

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Seb said:

what happened to the stolen spawned resources @Alex? Were they deleted?

Yes, I deleted them yesterday.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Guest Elijah Mikaelson

@Alex Pooball did admit to about 50 people that he has been this for months now just on a much smaller scale, i know that would be a lot harder to fix, but thought you should know.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

@Alex Pooball did admit to about 50 people that he has been this for months now just on a much smaller scale, i know that would be a lot harder to fix, but thought you should know.

Do you have any proof of this accusation, or a list of names?

Without proof, anyone is going to say that "oh, so and so knew about it" to try to use moderation as a weapon and get them banned. That's not very helpful.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do you have any proof of this accusation, or a list of names?

Without proof, anyone is going to say that "oh, so and so knew about it" to try to use moderation as a weapon and get them banned. That's not very helpful.

this was in a voice chat so nothing was written down, but i will ask him in text and see if he will reply with more information. but he admitted to 50 people not that 50 people was involved, that he had been doing it for a while.

35 minutes ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

Was your name on that list? 

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
36 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

Was your name on that list? 

YES my name was on the list, as i said it was 50 people who listened to pooball on the talk-show, when he said he had been doing it for a while, not 50 people who was involved, he clearly stated that everyone who was involved had already been banned.

6 minutes ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

YES my name was on the list, as i said it was 50 people who listened to pooball on the talk-show, when he said he had been doing it for a while, not 50 people who was involved, he clearly stated that everyone who was involved had already been banned.

Think he admitted it to Alex before that, so not really any new info for him.

On 6/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, Dio Brando said:

Same principle would apply, I believe. Submit an action twice at the exact same second, and you can allow the server to process the same action twice simultaneously. 

I recall having an attack duplicate a couple of years ago like this.  I thought I reported it but can't find the post.

GnWq7CW.png

Just now, Azaghul said:

I recall having an attack duplicate a couple of years ago like this.  I thought I reported it but can't find the post.

Yeah. This applies to wars as well. It was a well known fact a while ago that if you somehow managed to launch wars at exactly the same second as other players, you'd be able to get more than just 3 wars on one target. Practically that only really meant 4 wars, but theoretically it meant as many as requests the server could handle in one second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Azaghul said:

IIRC, some Blocheads back in Bloc Party did this with a Guardian guy once. I think we got the guy up to 5 defensive wars. I can't find the post, though.

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

18 hours ago, Fraggle said:

And the 40th city is next, right buddy?  Or did Seb pay enough to be forgiven?

hand over proof Fraggle as Alex said. If you can't do that then you are just weaponizing moderation just because you are salty you got your stolen/spawned resources deleted. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
On 6/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, Seb said:

hand over proof Fraggle as Alex said. If you can't do that then you are just weaponizing moderation just because you are salty you got your stolen/spawned resources deleted. 

how many nukes was bought with it, that's what i want to know, @Alex delete the nukes sir.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:32 AM, Dio Brando said:

Yeah. This applies to wars as well. It was a well known fact a while ago that if you somehow managed to launch wars at exactly the same second as other players, you'd be able to get more than just 3 wars on one target. Practically that only really meant 4 wars, but theoretically it meant as many as requests the server could handle in one second.

t$ did this back when Jess was around and we proved up to 5 I believe (that was our testing pool). 

When it was reported to Alex I believe the suggestion was to implement a random time delay of 2-5 seconds on each war declaration to remove the ability to plan it out. I can't recall off the top of my head if that was implemented but don't recall seeing this used for war dec's anytime recently. 

1 hour ago, Timmy said:

t$ did this back when Jess was around and we proved up to 5 I believe (that was our testing pool). 

When it was reported to Alex I believe the suggestion was to implement a random time delay of 2-5 seconds on each war declaration to remove the ability to plan it out. I can't recall off the top of my head if that was implemented but don't recall seeing this used for war dec's anytime recently. 

Yeah, five was the practical maximum. Four was the practical ‘common’

I’m not actually sure we ever truly got the seconds delay implemented either. Perhaps @Alex can shed some light on that. As far as usage in war time goes, it was generally deemed both impractical and mostly irrelevant due to the nature of the “bug” being so incredibly obvious. Why would you spent your time getting a fourth war in on one nation when that nation could just report the war to Sheepy, get the war deleted and have all losses restored?

(Amusingly enough, some times the defender didn’t report the war, the aggressor did.)

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Timmy said:

I believe the suggestion was to implement a random time delay of 2-5 seconds on each war declaration to remove the ability to plan it out. I can't recall off the top of my head if that was implemented but don't recall seeing this used for war dec's anytime recently. 

This was implemented, yes. I did something similar with accepting trades now as part of the efforts to stop this resource duplication exploit from being possible again.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 6/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, Timmy said:

It wasn't.

@Alex stated then that it's such a rare occurrence and that it's tough to do, so he left it alone.  Mensa managed to get a few 4 battles declared on a couple of people, but it was actually very hard to pull off.  You need some crazy voice chat coordination to time the clicks together.

Edit:  nm, guess he did implement per his reply above mine.

Edited by Buorhann

15 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

It wasn't.

@Alex stated then that it's such a rare occurrence and that it's tough to do, so he left it alone.  Mensa managed to get a few 4 battles declared on a couple of people, but it was actually very hard to pull off.  You need some crazy voice chat coordination to time the clicks together.

Edit:  nm, guess he did implement per his reply above mine.

War bot scripting is not explicitly banned by the game rules. You can do it if you have a script that declares war based on a signal from a centralized server.

@AlexIs there any chance that people are deliberately lagging the server to bypass your protections vs timing attacks on resource exploits? Could you or ss23 go look into that?

• Jax locked this topic