Improve beige, Don't remove

Sir Scarfalot

It's been mentioned before... many times... but the beige mechanic needs an adjustment. Right now, I can win literally every single one of my wars, and literally every single one of my enemies can win against me; but neither side is willing to do so due to the huge detrimental effects that would have on our allies' war effort in general. That's stupid, we all know it's stupid, but we have to work around it anyway since we'd literally lose the war if we won the battle. Have I mentioned that's a stupid concept? It bears repeating: That's stupid.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting that we remove the mechanic of beige; if we did that, the situation would be so much worse since anyone pinned down could be easily pinned forever with no possibility of recovery. Right now, that's still at least theoretically possible, but at least it's both difficult and allows a side that's heavily outnumbered to have loads of fun launching missiles and nukes and beiging inactives or screwups however and whenever they can. This encourages smaller blocs and risky wars, which is a good thing IMO. (That it has not actually done so is a separate problem.)

The problem comes in with relatively even wars; in that situation, beiging one's opponents means that they get time to rebuild their aircraft and also clears out the war slot, which if defensive means that a fresh opponent can come in immediately and resume airstrikes with a full 100 resistance to work with. The loot and infra damage is nothing compared to those advantages, and so everyone's milcom has to bend over backwards and hammer it into our soldiers' heads that they are NOT to win without express authorization, which as you can imagine is about as far from a fun gameplay experience as it's possible to have.

My proposed solution to this is simple: Change the mechanics so that whoever has less resistance when a war expires "loses" the war and is beiged as if they were taken down to zero resistance. An alternative and more complex solution would be to cause both sides to lose one resistance every turn, no matter what. It'd be effectively the same, but allow for more interesting and dynamic strategies, not to mention reward activity.

Admittedly, this could result in wars basically being declared and then immediately ignored by both sides. However, I think what's more likely is that everyone will pay more attention to rebuilding and double-buying their airforces every turn and cleaning out the oppositions' airforces when practical in order to prevent them from being able to build up airforces and declare right as they're about to be (unavoidably) beiged with heavy air fleets for easy, heavily damaging, and with the new mechanics unavoidable beiges for their own team.

As it is, we just don't know exactly how such a change would play out. Regrettably I don't think a test server tournament to test the change would actually give us valid data since TP$ would just win the raiding categories, the pixelhugger alliance of the week would win the score categories, and nobody would care about beige discipline, just like every other tournament ever. Still, I'm pretty sure the theory checks out; we'll see air engagements desperately taking down aircraft in order to prevent stacked beige raids against high-value targets, and therefore beiges which enable aircraft repurchasing with which to engage for the purposes of desperately taking down aircraft in order to prevent stacked beige raids. Which is at least fun, and means we get to win wars we're winning, which would be so much better than the current nonsense of winning by losing and losing by winning.

TL;DR: Make wars that expire result in beige for the one with lower resistance!

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Guest Frawley

Pretty sure I have made the same complaint in each of the last three wars only to be accused of trying to rig the game in IQs favour.

That said, I agree with complaint, but I think a single resistance bar that goes from -100 to 100 makes a lot more sense, and whoever is on the wrong end of it come 5 days (or if it exceeds -100/100) takes the loss.

Plus it would allow different results to wars: 

Get them to -100, win, beige and loot.

War expires at -80, win and beige

war expires at -50, win

If you are beiged your nation automatically accepts any peace proposals.  That way you can't use beige as cover to keep up an attack on someone else while you're protected from counters.  Could be a delay of a few turns so you have a chance to leave beige early before it comes into effect.  So say after you've been in beige for 6 turns someone can automatically make peace with you.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, Micchan said:

If the war expires both nations are beiged without losing loot and infra

I really like this too.

Edited by Azaghul
  • Upvote 1
GnWq7CW.png