Space Race

Rubes

So I was browsing around the game suggestions forum looking to see what people have suggested over the years, and one thing from 2014 really stood out to me.

Originally posted by @Malal was the suggestion for Space Race style projects;

National project name: Space Program

Small description: The final frontier shall be ours for the taking

Project effect: Unlocks space race/Satellites

Resource cost: 500 steel, 2000 aluminum, 1000 gas

Cash cost: $150 million

With the game being focused on growing your nation and primarily military oriented goals, I think implementing a space race type expansion would be expensive yet a new peaceful goal. It can give players another route to take and save for, especially after completing a lot of military related projects. Since 2014, the world's interest in space, mars, SpaceX, etc., has grown immensely and I could foresee that spilling over into P&W. This could all be accompanied by new awards such as first to make it to space, etc. 

Similar to the baseball team, once you build a hypothetical facility, a new tab could be unlocked. The more money you invest in R&D could equal a higher success rate of making it to space. Alliances / nations could work together on building a space station.

Link to original comment: 

Edited by Rubes
  • Upvote 5

• Administrators

I love the concept, but I've never been able to figure out what the point of it would be. People aren't just going to waste their money if there's no benefit from going to "space." What's the benefit?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

I love the concept, but I've never been able to figure out what the point of it would be. People aren't just going to waste their money if there's no benefit from going to "space." What's the benefit?

The only benefit i could think of is commerce. I mean, satellites give you GPS, satellite internet everywhere, cell phones, etc. 

People keep asking for ITC to be made more powerful, maybe instead just make another project to add onto it? If you add a simple badge for being first to make it to the moon somebody is gonna go and take billions in loans to do it, too.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Akuryo said:

If you add a simple badge for being first to make it to the moon somebody is gonna go and take billions in loans to do it, too.

I agree, but is it worth it to spend a bunch of development time to add new content for one single player? I'd much rather create content that more players can enjoy/benefit from.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

I agree, but is it worth it to spend a bunch of development time to add new content for one single player? I'd much rather create content that more players can enjoy/benefit from.

I'd just consider something like a Satellite array project that improves commerce even beyond an ITC. Make it expensive as hell too, satellites are insanely expensive, and then balance the bonus it gives with the ludicrous cost and chuck it on the list as a project that most whales will have some interest in and remove a bunch of resources from the market now and then.

I suppose you could also have an Orbital Silo project. It could for example, give one the option to target certain kinds of improvements with a nuke, or reduce the success chance of spy operations against nukes and missiles, or both even. People keep saying to reduce the MAP to launch missiles and nukes, perhaps it could do that as well.

Another thought: a Military Intelligence Array. I've seen the suggestion to hide how much military a nation has and only show its score. This would give you an estimation of how much they have. If you implement levelled projects like is a popular idea, you could have it become more accurate as it levels up. If you don't decide to hide military, maybe it estimates they're used rebuys, or estimated remaining warchest. The last one might too strong, so maybe it only estimates a certain resource every so often. 
I suppose it could also mitigate or increase the effects of having controls on someone/having them against you. 

Space is fun, there's a whole lotta things to do with it, it's just quite a few of them are potentially overpowered. Which i think would be fine if like actual space, they're horrendously expensive to build. Perhaps make them LOLHOLYSHITEXPENSIVE by creating alliance projects and having space ones in the list with very powerful bonuses like this. As an alliance project they'd be costing hundreds of thousands if not millions in resources and billions in cash. 

Include some less OP alliance projects for small alliances too, less expensive because of it :P

Edited by Akuryo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I actually wrote up a few projects related to it but didn't flesh it out. The GPS one was p great imho since it helped everyone in the game economically but only people who built it militarily(Also it wasn't shamelessly stolen from CN and renamed like 90% of the other suggestions). The effects and costs are obviously wrong to everyone now but it was a different game back then.  

National project name: Moon Colony[unlocked via SP]

Small description: Lets setup a colony on the Moon!

Project effect: Does whatever a moon colony does(maybe a "special" city that cannot be attacked/built up but provides a small amount of citizens and income?)

Resource cost: 250 steel, 1500 aluminum, 1000 gas

Cash cost: $150 million

National project name: Mars Colony[unlocked via SP]

Small description: Colonies on the Moon are great but you know what's better? Colonies on Mars!

Project effect: Does whatever a Moon colony does but is way cooler (see above?)

Resource cost: 1500 steel, 750 aluminum, 3000 gas

Cash cost: $250 million

National project name:Assist the Global Positioning System[unlocked via SP]

Small description: Nation launches their own satellite to assist with the GPS.

Project effect:Global Citizen income increases by .001% per satellite added(all nations)(Global boost of .01% soldier efficiency to all nations who assist with the GPS?)

Resource cost: 50 steel, 200 aluminum, 350 gas

Cash cost: $35 million

@Alex So while writing above and looking through the current in game projects, why not rebalance all the project costs? The projects in-game are mostly cash expensive when they could be slightly cheaper but cost more resources. Back then resources were far more expensive so it made sense to have them be mostly cash but things have changed obviously and you could probs get away with changing up the project costs a bit without too much fuss.

Edited by Malal
  • Like 2

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Another game (admittedly one without much merit to warrant its consideration as a design example, but regardless) had a research system which provided bonuses at increasing costs. One of those bonuses was to launch a satellite at extremely high cost, and the entire bonus of it was that it gave every player in the game a notification that it happened.

What I'm saying is, we could have a money sink that's completely stupid, like notifying everyone in the game that it's been done, and then that'd be a pretty good way to increase resource demand. Basically like keno but with resources, even faster bankruptcy, and a huge notification to everyone that someone's daft enough to do it ^_^

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Alex said:

You could add several space improvements like:

• SDI (chance to shoot down ICBMs)
  • space-based solar power (requires satellite power receivers in each city, but provides clean, high efficiency energy)
  • orbital bombardment (drop cylinders of resources onto the enemy. Projectiles would move so fast that they could not be shot down. Maybe different effects depending on resource dropped)

Since objects in space tend to have decaying orbits, we would need to periodically spend resources to either keep the satellites up or launch replacements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, Alex said:

The benefit is: (Given you know what a satellite is)More effective spying, more effective military communications, more effective communication periood,  heck maybe even include a prerequisite to another national project...

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Deulos said:

The benefit is: (Given you know what a satellite is)More effective spying, more effective military communications, more effective communication periood,  heck maybe even include a prerequisite to another national project...

What does "more effective communication" look like in a game that uses Discord for effective communication?

I'm not uneducated about space; these things need to be applied to the game in a way that isn't game-breakingly overpowered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Forums Rules | Game Link

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

What does "more effective communication" look like in a game that uses Discord for effective communication?

I'm not uneducated about space; these things need to be applied to the game in a way that isn't game-breakingly overpowered.

Military communications meaning for units I think. Implying units would fight better.

Most of what space does is kinda overpowered even IRl, which is why I suggest making alliance projects a thing, including these there, maybe making them levelled so small alliances can get a level or two, and just make it progressively more and more ridiculously expensive.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Akuryo said:

Most of what space does is kinda overpowered even IRl, which is why I suggest making alliance projects a thing, including these there, maybe making them levelled so small alliances can get a level or two, and just make it progressively more and more ridiculously expensive.

That's a good idea. Alliance projects...

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

After reading all of these replies, here is a simplified way that I could see it working:

Make it a bit more special than a project, I say add a tab under Baseball titled 'Space Exploration' or something. Once you click on it, you're faced with this:

1. In order to get started with space, you must build a research facility. $100,000,000 + 10,000 steel + 5,000 aluminum + 2,000 gasoline (etc. this will also help stimulate the economy with prices dropping day by day).

2. Once you've unlocked the space center, you now must spend money and resources on building a rocket. (If you want to play off of the baseball mechanic, you could upgrade your facility and be assigned researchers that you can pay to upgrade. An upgraded facility can lower the initial investment cost of rockets and higher skilled researchers will increase the rockets chance of success)

3. Once you have a rocket that works, you can do some of the following;

- Launch a military satellite

Nukes now require 10 MAP's to fire, 30% resistance to spies, +30% increase in personal spy effectiveness, (and more, these are all just suggestions)

- Launch an asteroid mining device

- Now you can mine from asteroids! Expand from cities but watch out for missiles(?)

- Start building a Space Station

- Cool in theory, can't think of any details

- Colonize the moon / mars!

- Build cities on the moon and possibly open up to new resources? Maybe each nation that makes it to the moon or mars can unlock a second nation? Like a sub nation linked to their original profile. New resources, new market, new alliances.

All in all, I feel this has a lot of potential to hook old players and bring in new members.

Offers a something for everyone style, almost like a massive DLC.

Old players will have something new to invest time and money into as well. 

Stimulates the in game economy

New opportunities for VIP perks.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like 1

Speaking of shamelessly stealing CN ideas, since you want to add more resources why not add resourses that can only be mined from mars/luna?

Edited by Malal

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

18 minutes ago, Malal said:

Speaking of shamelessly stealing CN ideas, since you want to add more resources why not add resourses that can only be mined from mars/luna?

Not stealing anything. Im aware this isn't an original idea, I'm simply condensing what I've read into a reply to make it a bit easier to read. I take no credit for anything here

Edited by Rubes

16 hours ago, Akuryo said:

Military communications meaning for units I think. Implying units would fight better.

I really like the alliance project idea. Huge, endgame stuff that provide big benefits either to the entire alliance or globally, stuff like boosts to income or reduced radiation.

• Upvote 1
inb4 new spy operation “Plane Hijack”

This is the 21000th post in this subform and I'm fine with it.

TRI-poloski.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 7:51 PM, Rubes said:

Not stealing anything. Im aware this isn't an original idea, I'm simply condensing what I've read into a reply to make it a bit easier to read. I take no credit for anything here

By "you" I mean sheepy since he said he wanted to add some sort of further refined resources or something

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win