Enable Alliance Leaders to Set Embargoes For Members

The Mad Titan

Guest Frawley

This is a really good idea, and honestly one of the only ways to make the Embargo mechanic have teeth.  If you want the embargo feature to cause actual drama, this would be a quick thing to implement.

Persistent Political simulators have never ever been about individuals, just like countries are not about citizens, they are about the collective use of power, through democratic means or otherwise.

In addition to increasing the likelihood of conflicts and wars, embargoes set by alliances against alliances make the market more dynamic again. This would also somewhat address the issue of constantly decreasing market prices. If major alliances reduce the amount of available resources to other alliances, supply decreases and therefore prices increase.

I don't think that alliance-wide trade policies imposed by alliance leaders reduce individual freedom in the slightest. If someone is unhappy with an embargo set by the alliance leader, he/she/zie/they/etc. can either communicate their disproval or leave the alliance as an act of their individual freedom, i.e. vote with their feet.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, LUNCH said:

If you want your alliance to embargo someone, have your alliance leaders instruct their members to embargo them. If they trade with them after the embargo is declared by the alliance leader, kick them out of the alliance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

If you want your alliance to embargo someone, have your alliance leaders instruct their members to embargo them. If they trade with them after the embargo is declared by the alliance leader, kick them out of the alliance.

As said before, it would take forever to manage all of them. As someone on here said before, it's like trying to get a percentage of a nation's income every turn - it's just not feasible! 

• Upvote 2

Inhabitor of Forum Games & Spam. I live there. It's my home.

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

Would it be difficult to add this feature to the game?

Alliances would not be obliged but would have the opportunity to use it, similar to taxes. Taxes are handled by alliance leaders, too, so they don't have to ask members for donations on a regular base.

As was mentioned before already, it's extremely difficult to manage an alliance-wide embargo against another alliance. Leaders can't even check members' active embargoes except for checking the activity list on the nation page.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:37 PM, Sphinx said:

I think its a great idea, although one issue it might cause would be messing up trades for banking payments/ loans etc. So if a workaround for that was found it'll be an excellent addition. 

^ True. You could just go to an offshore, but an option where you can exempt some members would be very nice.

Guest Frawley
14 hours ago, Alex said:

This misses the point, if you want the mechanic to cause drama (aka alliance wars, no one gaf about nation wars), then it needs to be easy to enforce, your suggestion just makes it a mechanic that won't be used in any serious context.

19 hours ago, Frawley said:

This misses the point, if you want the mechanic to cause drama (aka alliance wars, no one gaf about nation wars), then it needs to be easy to enforce, your suggestion just makes it a mechanic that won't be used in any serious context.

Exactly.

To be honest Alex: I think you're out of touch with how active the average player is and the difficulty of controlling members on this particular subject.  Sure, in theory you can force everyone to do it.  But that takes a huge amount of time and effort.  Energy, time, and motivation, from alliance leaders is almost always limited.  There are always going to be things that they could do to improve their alliance, like making sure their members are building and operating at optimal efficiency with their improvement builds or warchests or resource buying and selling, that they don't do because of lack of manpower and motivation.  This falls way down the list and isn't even close to being worth the effort that it would take right now, which is why as far as I know no alliance has tried to do it in earnest.

The fact that support from the player base so far is unanimous should tell you something.  When was the last time that literally everyone who weighed in supported a suggestion?

• Like 2
GnWq7CW.png

@Alex, given the many previously stated arguments for (and the few against) this extended embargo mechanism:

Could you comment on whether such a new feature could be implemented in the game or whether this suggestion is off the table?

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Tamasith said:

@Alex, given the many previously stated arguments for (and the few against) this extended embargo mechanism:

Could you comment on whether such a new feature could be implemented in the game or whether this suggestion is off the table?

I understand the demand for it, and it certainly could be implemented, but given my dislike of the idea it's at the bottom of the list and I wouldn't count on it anytime in the near future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 5/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, Alex said:

I understand the demand for it, and it certainly could be implemented, but given my dislike of the idea it's at the bottom of the list and I wouldn't count on it anytime in the near future.

@Alex But the masses! You must listen to them! As said above, it's unanimous. Everyone but you wants it.

Also, could we see a shot of the list? ?

Edited by LUNCH

Inhabitor of Forum Games & Spam. I live there. It's my home.

• Alex locked this topic