RE: Score Formula Tweaks

Raphael

Hello and welcome to my TED talk.

I think the score formula could use a look at simply because of the age of the game and the scale of certain nations. The way score is calculated has long been a source of contention and it's about time to stir the pot once again.

Some facts for discussion/consideration:

-The nation of Fraggle Rock (sorry Fraggle ily) is the #1 nation in score by a margin of ~2000 score.

-The number 50 nation is approximately half the score of the number one nation. From 51-100 is less than 1k score difference. From 101-150 is roughly 400 score difference. 151-200 is roughly 200 score difference. From there everyone is pretty tightly compacted all the way down.

- The top 2 nations are considerably ahead in score even from the next nation in rank. (Fraggle to Tywin is about 2k, Twyin to Wampus is also about 2k). After Wampus (#3) scores seem to follow a much closer trend.

- The breakdown of how Fraggle achieved #1: 14 cities, 32.2k infra, 6 national projects. All of which account for a little over 10% of her score. There is no military other than missles and nuclear weapons in the nation of Fraggle Rock.

- The breakdown of how Tywin achieved #2: 38 cities, 99.7k infra, 14 national project. All of which account for a little less than 50% of his score. Tywin's military is almost entirely traditional, with only 5 missiles and no nuclear weapons.

- Wampus, Seb, and Bollocks all have a similar build. Seb should probably be #3 with the current formula but he has relatively little military but more cities than Wampus. Notably, Wampus only has ~40k infra whereas Bollocks and Seb have about 80-100k each. Actually the rest of the top ten follow a similar pattern of less military but larger city count and infra than Wampus. Suggesting Wampus and potentially Tywin and Fraggle are not the "true" top nations.

- Based on the nations on "None" alliance alone, a rough estimate puts PnW at less than 4000 active or semi-active players.

My initial thoughts on looking at things is as follows:

Infra needs to count for significantly more score than it does. Like say a 20-30% increase.

Cities need to count for slightly less score. Like say a 10-15% decrease.

Nuclear weapons need to count for significantly less score than they do. Like a 50% or more decrease.

Soldiers and Aircraft could stand a 5-10% increase in score but they aren't "needing" to be tweaked per se.

All score numbers could be doubled (before factoring in any other tweaks) to create more spread out tiering. More spread out tiers may be a good or bad thing though, I would interested to hear opinions on this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I'm not opposed to recalibrating the score formula.

I would think that the contribution from cities ought to be a function of decreasing returns to scale. Military should probably count a bit less compared to infra/cities to account for double-buy potential. 

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators
On 6/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

can someone please report sheepy for this grave dig?

This isn't a rules violation. Per the forum rules:

Gravedigging

Replying to, or "bumping", old, unpinned topics which have been inactive for at least 30 days. The following exceptions apply:

Alliance Affairs - topics with no posts for at least 10 days will be considering gravedigging.

The following are immune to the rule, as long as replies are constructive and remain on-topic.

Alliance Recruitment
Free Trade Market
Game Discussion
Game Suggestions
All forums in the Social Hub

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 hours ago, Alex said:

This isn't a rules violation. Per the forum rules:

Gravedigging

Replying to, or "bumping", old, unpinned topics which have been inactive for at least 30 days. The following exceptions apply:

Alliance Affairs - topics with no posts for at least 10 days will be considering gravedigging.

The following are immune to the rule, as long as replies are constructive and remain on-topic.

Alliance Recruitment
Free Trade Market
Game Discussion
Game Suggestions
All forums in the Social Hub

We all know you went in and changed the rules while we weren't looking you can't fool us.

• Haha 2

XLL3z4T.gif

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Sketchy said:

We all know you went in and changed the rules while we weren't looking you can't fool us.

Do you really think I would do that? :P

If you're not teasing, there's probably a waybackmachine copy of that page that shows that I clearly did not just edit the rules.

Forums Rules | Game Link

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Do you really think I would do that? :P

If you're not teasing, there's probably a waybackmachine copy of that page that shows that I clearly did not just edit the rules.

i was joking lol

XLL3z4T.gif

Since we're grave digging this, I've had another thought: Tying some score into military improvements as well. This way a part of your military score is also tied into your ability to produce units, not just the units you have. Just an idea. Anyways, some actual formulas to pitch here. Recognizing score as the game's way of deciding war declaration range, the considerations for changing it should be focused entirely on how to make war ranges fairer.

Here's the current formula:

Nation Score = (City Count - 1) *50 + (Nation Infra Total/40) + (Project Count *20) + ((Soldiers * 0.0005) + (Tanks * 0.05) + (Aircraft * 0.5) + (Ships * 2) + (Missiles * 5) + (Nuclear Weapons * 15))

Here's a proposed tweak:

Nation Score = (City Count - 1) *40 + (Nation Infra Total/20) + (Project Count *20) + ((Soldiers * 0.0010) + (Tanks * 0.05) + (Aircraft * 0.7) + (Ships * 2) + (Missiles * 2.5) + (Nuclear Weapons * 5))

So using a 10 city nation with 1000 infra each as an example here.

The original formula would score a fully militarized (maxed military improvements with max military) nation of this size as: 2,390

Without military as: 740

The proposed formula would score it as: 2,805 when militarized

Without military: 900 score

This proposed formula, using Fraggle again as an example, would reduce his nation from 13k score (current) to 5,022.5 score. Still far above what a 14 city nation should be at with no other military but at least gives some recognition of the several hundred missiles and nuclear weapons.

This is just an example of a tweak. I increased the value of aircraft because they should be valued as more score than tanks. I increased the value of soldiers because they didn't account for anything, but tbh that could be thrown out and kept as-is I think. I halved missile score value and cut Nukes down to 5 score per nuke. I also lowered the city multiplier to 40 from 50 - which honestly could be lowered more. Cities are devalued, infra is increased in value.

The proposed formula accomplishes three main things:

1. It addresses how utterly inflated nuclear weapons and missiles are in the current score formula.

2. It widens the gap between militarized and de-militarized score so nations can better fall out of range when they are losing, or conversely they can reach higher by militarizing.

3. It reduces city value and inflates infra value in score. This allows the players to better control their score, and allows more infrastructure damage to be done in wars.

Edited by Bartholomew Roberts

Errr, you made infra devalued too. Your example made 70 infra = 1 score instead of 40 = 1 score.

So to correct that math, under your proposed example changes, the example nation not militarized would have a score of 542.8, as it seems you're assuming 2 projects.

Militarized would be 2247.85.

9 hours ago, Akuryo said:

Errr, you made infra devalued too. Your example made 70 infra = 1 score instead of 40 = 1 score.

So to correct that math, under your proposed example changes, the example nation not militarized would have a score of 542.8, as it seems you're assuming 2 projects.

Militarized would be 2247.85.

Haha oops, I actually caught and corrected this mistake the first time and adjusted my math but forgot to edit the formula. I used 20 for the divisor I think? Edited it in.

Either way though, I’m just throwing out an idea of what a changed formula could look like.