3/15/2019 - API Usage Limitations

Alex

Maybe I am missing something here, but you clearly stated that top two people are only making 4,320 calls, and the Avg person 780 calls, so will dropping the limits to 5,000 and 2,000 really don't do anything if most are not even close to those number of calls?.

think you hit it on the head when you clearly stated its poorly made, cutting the number of calls people can make to a number no one is reaching, I do not see how this fix the problem.

If I am not wrong most of the calls are about the market prices and such, you really want to change it then stop people being able to pull the market via the API and watch the lag stop.

• Upvote 2

tVKJgLh.png

Ofc, jokes aside, it's an understandable change and I can't fault you on this too much. If you think the servers are going to have a lot less load on them via this change, it'll generally be the best thing for the casual playerbase that doesn't really use the api. If the game loads faster, than I'm perfectly willing to compromise and have the cap.

What this might influence a lot is things like recruitment bots and of course Frawley's awesome stat tracker, so you might want to see if you can make a compromise for those 2, and maybe some other things. Recruitment bots are great because they pick up newer players which than have a lot larger retention than players that don't ever join alliances. Maybe to make that compromise you could add an option where people can use alliance keys instead that have a larger cap, maybe 10,000 or something.

Edited by Radoje
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Radoje said:

What this might influence a lot is things like recruitment bots and of course Frawley's awesome stat tracker, so you might want to see if you can make a compromise for those 2, and maybe some other things

Would a certain trade bot fall under "some other things"? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MoonShadow said:

Maybe I am missing something here, but you clearly stated that top two people are only making 4,320 calls, and the Avg person 780 calls, so will dropping the limits to 5,000 and 2,000 really don't do anything if most are not even close to those number of calls?.

think you hit it on the head when you clearly stated its poorly made, cutting the number of calls people can make to a number no one is reaching, I do not see how this fix the problem.

Not all calls presently require a key and as such they are not tracked. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Would a certain trade bot fall under "some other things"? 

Yes, a trade bot that called the api and showed you mistrades would fall under those other things. As would your military notification bot, a battle simulator sheet etc.

• Upvote 1

I think one of the underlying issues is less about the amount of calls to the server and more likely the amount of redundant calls to the server. Things like trade, war and other notification bots access the server constantly and pull data. As a community we have more than enough resources to be able to address this concern for Alex in the meantime.

In order to accomplish this we could simply implement the following:

• A proper caching layer
    • Things like nation data and such. It changes but not extremely regularly
  • A distributed push notification system with a single system calling the server -- This data is relatively static and would only need to be pulled once from the server on a simple timed schedule
    • Trade Bots
    • War Bots
    • War Attack Bots

If this is something the community would be interested in I could work on it in the near future.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I understand this is a significant decrease in the number of calls allowed. However, there are 15 API endpoint pages, if you call each of them every 5 minutes every hour per day, that's only 4,320 calls per day, which easily falls within the VIP limit. Realistically, you shouldn't need to call each page every 5 minutes anyway. As-is, the two highest request users are just barely reaching over 2,000 calls per day, with an average of the top 10 users being 764.7 calls, a median of 507, and a range of 1962. I understand not all calls are being recorded here, but the point is that for the average API user this should not be a significant limitation.

I'm not sure exactly where to start with your bad maths. Yes you might have 15 api endpoints, but those endpoints are not all equal. There are ~260 Alliances, ~10.7k Nations and ~61.9k Cities that are accessible from those endpoints.

Calling all those, even once per day, gives you a maximum of 73k potential calls per day.

Which is the root of the problem. It is impossible to get the information required for even the most basic of stuff, without delving into the individual API endpoints.

If you want to a proper short term solution, merge /alliance into /alliances, /nation and /city into /nations. Sure they'll be massive, especially in terms of nations, but hopefully no one should be fetching it more than once per day (and you can possibly rate limit it when you have time).

Good luck with your degree and if you ever want to discuss the API, feel free to DM me on Discord or tag me in #api

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

30 minutes ago, Shakyr said:

I'm not sure exactly where to start with your bad maths. Yes you might have 15 api endpoints, but those endpoints are not all equal. There are ~260 Alliances, ~10.7k Nations and ~61.9k Cities that are accessible from those endpoints.

Calling all those, even once per day, gives you a maximum of 73k potential calls per day.

Which is the root of the problem. It is impossible to get the information required for even the most basic of stuff, without delving into the individual API endpoints.

If you want to a proper short term solution, merge /alliance into /alliances, /nation and /city into /nations. Sure they'll be massive, especially in terms of nations, but hopefully no one should be fetching it more than once per day (and you can possibly rate limit it when you have time).

Good luck with your degree and if you ever want to discuss the API, feel free to DM me on Discord or tag me in #api

"I'm not sure exactly where to start with your bad maths. Yes you might have 15 api endpoints, but those endpoints are not all equal. There are ~260 Alliances, ~10.7k Nations and ~61.9k Cities that are accessible from those endpoints.

Calling all those, even once per day, gives you a maximum of 73k potential calls per day."

no, no, annnnnnd no

I can agree with the merging of apis tho, having all the info of a nation/alliance/war/etc with one call is well worth having to sort on my end

• Downvote 1

Verin-ProjectDev2.png

On 3/16/2019 at 2:17 AM, Sketchy said:

@Alex if you are going to do this, can you at least give each person 2 seperate api keys, one for public apis (war, alliances/nations etc) and one for private apis (alliance members, bank)?

I can't grant edit access to my sheets to anyone now because they'll just be able to open up the script editor and look directly at my api key, then use it to pull whatever private alliance api data they like.

Honestly this would be immensely useful 

• Like 1

• Jax locked this topic