How Cheap Will Prices Have to Get Before Alliances Say Peace is Ridiculous?

Dubayoo

How Cheap Will Prices Have to Get Before Alliances Say Peace is Ridiculous?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How Cheap Will Manufactured Prices Have to Get Before Alliances Say Peace is Ridiculous?

• Avg < $1500
    • Avg < $1250
    • Avg < $1000
    • Avg < $750
    • Avg < $500
    • Avg < $250

Average manufactured prices just dipped below $1750 this weekend which is rather nuts.

This is especially noteworthy since raws seem to be flatlining instead of decreasing at the same pace. There is hypercompetition for manufactured market share, and it's not letting up.

Edited by Dubayoo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Lucifer Morningstar said:

Can we just start hiking prices up?

I mean if you want to buy a ton of product you could...

...but there's no real reason to do so unless you want to go to war.

• Downvote 1

Bwahahahaha.

I like.  I'll buy stuff on the cheap all day.  The only folks really hurting will be the pirates, bank thieves, etc who have no revenue and rely on sales.  The rest of us can make an enormous warchest and prepare for Warmageddon, a 200-day war to end all wars...by taking us all to ZI.

31 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

Well, it has been 12 months since the last one, methinks. I think it's that time of the year again.

Sheepy's economic band aid fix in 3..2...

Because Alex somehow finds it completely necessary to make changes to the game JUST AS A WAR IS ABOUT TO START?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kriegskoenig said:

Bwahahahaha.

I like.  I'll buy stuff on the cheap all day.  The only folks really hurting will be the pirates, bank thieves, etc who have no revenue and rely on sales.  The rest of us can make an enormous warchest and prepare for Warmageddon, a 200-day war to end all wars...by taking us all to ZI.

Boss, you're in Polaris.

Everything you buy gets wasted since you can't even handle pirate raids.

1 hour ago, Justin076 said:

Better question, how high will prices have to go before you'll shut up about them? Stop complaining before the Sheep man intervenes. 

Idc about the specific price level.

The game needs regular inflation so future generations of players are constantly supported in selling their products. Otherwise, the game stagnates from old players just sitting around and doing nothing.

Sheepy should intervene with some formula that makes stockpiles depreciate everyweek based on your percentile in the game to discourage saving and encourage spending. Your percentile could equal the percent of 2% that you lose everyweek. I say 2% so the median player loses 1% per week of saved resources.

We need to remember this is a game, not real life. Saving resources to afford a retired lifestyle of luxury doesn't apply here.

Edited by Dubayoo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

Average manufactured prices just dipped below $1750 this weekend which is rather nuts.

This is especially noteworthy since raws seem to be flatlining instead of decreasing at the same pace. There is hypercompetition for manufactured market share, and it's not letting up.

This is good for new players who haven't reached the point where they can get a manufacturing project.  They can produce raw resources and get better rates trading it for manufactured resources.

• Upvote 2
GnWq7CW.png

I mean.

With the resistance mechanics being what they are, you can beige people, taking cap infra off all of their cities, without necessarily needing a large resource commitment.

The problem is that most resources just aren't super necessary. Short of abruptly deleting some obscene amount of everyone's stockpiles or majorly overhauling the war systems, I think this is just how it's going to be.

• Upvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

Problem with expecting a war to reintroduce scarcity is that for market prices to be higher, you also need a lot more cash rolling around. A big war scenario is more likely to result in high profit things for that cash to be spent on rather than resources at this stage of the market.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Auctor said:

Problem with expecting a war to reintroduce scarcity is that for market prices to be higher, you also need a lot more cash rolling around. A big war scenario is more likely to result in high profit things for that cash to be spent on rather than resources at this stage of the market.

If the margin was wider, I would agree, but the margin's been low for a long time which suggests there's already a ton of cash rolling around in competing to flip resources. The lower the margin, the more cash there is chasing smaller profits.

I'm not sure I agree with what you say about big war scenarios either. People seem to be hugging their infrastructure tighter and tighter as they build higher and higher, banking is somewhat volatile, and recruitment efforts are lacking in finding quality candidates to invest grants in for taxes.

Edited by Dubayoo
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

If the margin was wider, I would agree, but the margin's been low for a long time which suggests there's already a ton of cash rolling around in competing to flip resources. The lower the margin, the more cash there is chasing smaller profits.

I'm not sure I agree with what you say about big war scenarios either. People seem to be hugging their infrastructure tighter and tighter as they build higher and higher, banking is somewhat volatile, and recruitment efforts are lacking in finding quality candidates to invest grants in for taxes.

There's a big difference between the amount someone is willing to set aside to try and make money by trading (which as I mentioned to you in the other thread, isn't that much to be a significant player on the market) and the amount people are willing to spend for resources they intend to keep.

GnWq7CW.png

4 hours ago, Spaceman Thrax said:

I mean.

With the resistance mechanics being what they are, you can beige people, taking cap infra off all of their cities, without necessarily needing a large resource commitment.

The problem is that most resources just aren't super necessary. Short of abruptly deleting some obscene amount of everyone's stockpiles or majorly overhauling the war systems, I think this is just how it's going to be.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you agree the supply of product vastly outnumbers its demand.

• Downvote 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:32 PM, Auctor said:

Cash in PW is pretty much just another resource that everyone produces that can be directly exchanged for other resources isn’t it? Like it’s used for infra, cities, military, etc as if it were building material irl. Not a new idea by any means but I’m still a fan of making it so cities and infra require a massive resource investment as well as a massive cash investment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

bw0643E.gif

On 3/4/2019 at 11:32 PM, Auctor said:

12 hours ago, Vack said:

Cash in PW is pretty much just another resource that everyone produces that can be directly exchanged for other resources isn’t it? Like it’s used for infra, cities, military, etc as if it were building material irl. Not a new idea by any means but I’m still a fan of making it so cities and infra require a massive resource investment as well as a massive cash investment.

If you combine these 2 responses together you basically get your conclusion. Commerce is not viable in low-mid tiers rn because of the 50% production bonus where you can spam manufactured resources like a turret. So if you want the prices to go up, Sheepy would have to revert the 50% bonus or nerf it down, to make commerce more viable than resources again.

Than you'll have money rolling around and resource production will be more scarce. Actually, the total combined cash economy in the world has pretty much all but halted the last 6 months, we used to see big spikes in the overall capital of the economy with an influx of new players, but recently we've seen a growth in thousands but the money supply has dried up and stagnated because of the resource rush.

But, why would we even want the resource prices to go up? We're currently enjoying an oasis where building warchests is no longer a multi month endeavor. Hence you have a lot of freed up cash to build cities which have costs that Alex nerfed into the ground, so what you get right now is exactly what the low tier has been moaning about for the entire past year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Personally I wouldn’t mind a war taking out a minor sphere before the next big one, as I think it will be a while before anything materializes on that. Although I don’t mind peacefully building up my city count for now either. 

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum