Racism on Orbis

Kastor

• Administrators

While you may not like this particular name, I do not find it so offensive that it violates either the game or forum rules. While we certainly do have rules against racism, and I am not condoning any form of racism, I think we need to examine things in context.

Someone using the name "Uncle Tom" for themselves is different than calling someone else an Uncle Tom, and even in the latter case I'm not sure that would necessarily be against the rules either.

I will note that I am by no means an expert on slavery, race, or all terms used in relation to either. It's possible my views could change on this in regards to new information. However, it is my understanding that "uncle tom" is typically used as a more sophisticated commentary about race/class relations and one's status within society (per Kastor's original quote, "The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an exceedingly subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.") rather than a strict racial slur.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

You know you might actually have a point here and it's almost sad that people are dogpiling you, since I don't see how it would be a huge trouble for the guy to change his name, knowing some people might perceive it that way.

But then again....

Here's you making jokes/references  that are as off-colour or worse towards transgenders,

Women,

And actually, also black people

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/profile/1919-kastor/&status=1539&type=status

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Thrax said:

You know you might actually have a point here and it's almost sad that people are dogpiling you, since I don't see how it would be a huge trouble for the guy to change his name, knowing some people might perceive it that way.

But then again....

Here's you making jokes/references  that are as off-colour or worse towards transgenders,

Women,

And actually, also black people

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/profile/1919-kastor/&status=1539&type=status

1. It isn't, but I'm not going to argue with you on this because you know it isn't either and you just want to create a narrative. Ironically, telling me I couldn't sexually identify as a Polaris would actually mean that you weren't respecting my right to an identity. So which is it, are you refusing my right to identify or can I sexually identify as a Polaris? 

2. I fail to see how this is off-color or a joke/reference. We attacked Queen M days later and filled her slots. That's you trying to be weird, not me.

3. Kastor's Krazy Klub is a real thing, there's an entire discord server for it. It has nothing to do with black people at all. I guess the KKK acronym, but meh, that's a reach and I didn't even realize that before you pointed it out indirectly.

tl;dr: You reached on everything and came up short, try again next time.

• Downvote 3

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

I mean. My fault for trying to be even handed in a thread with this community, probably. But my point wasn't that those were horribly offensive things so much as it took me less than 5 minutes to easily find three jokes that were as offensive to other groups as the one you were supposedly calling out. So if you want to make things more inclusive/less offensive, I have a place for you to start.

The idea that you'd assume "Uncle Tom" necessarily had a racist implication while having a channel that has the acronym KKK and being ignorant of that is just ridiculous, though, so obviously you have no intention of looking at the problem earnestly. So yeah, I'm out.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

2 hours ago, Spaceman Thrax said:

I mean. My fault for trying to be even handed in a thread with this community, probably. But my point wasn't that those were horribly offensive things so much as it took me less than 5 minutes to easily find three jokes that were as offensive to other groups as the one you were supposedly calling out. So if you want to make things more inclusive/less offensive, I have a place for you to start.

3 "jokes" that weren't actually offensive, mostly in-character commentary, and you were wrong on all 3 accounts? 

Take your time next time, because obviously the 3 "jokes" you found were lacking.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Thrax said:

The idea that you'd assume "Uncle Tom" necessarily had a racist implication while having a channel that has the acronym KKK and being ignorant of that is just ridiculous, though, so obviously you have no intention of looking at the problem earnestly. So yeah, I'm out.

You always dip from threads that you lose lol. Nothing new. 

• Downvote 1

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

5 hours ago, Kastor said:

3 "jokes" that weren't actually offensive, mostly in-character commentary, and you were wrong on all 3 accounts? 

Take your time next time, because obviously the 3 "jokes" you found were lacking.

You always dip from threads that you lose lol. Nothing new. 

He's just aware that talking to brick walls is a hopeless attempt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
I have no idea what I'm doing but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

pfp_maybe_1_15.jpg

• Administrators

I think from the Moderation Support perspective, this issue is resolved. If you'd like to continue your debate on who is and isn't racist or w/e, you're welcome to start a group PM or move to Discord, etc.

To ensure that me and the mods can easily navigate these subforums for reports and support requests, I'm going to lock this thread so that we're not alerted to unimportant replies/new posts.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Alex locked this topic