Racism on Orbis

Kastor

Being a black person, and seeing https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/profile/8514-uncle-tom/ makes me upset.

I understand it was probably a joke, but being called Uncle Tom is offensive to black people, almost everyone.

Please have this person change their name, idc about a warn, I just don't want to see it, and I'm appalled that its been allowed to go in this game so long.

Side Point: Where have all the SJW's who claimed that they were against this kind of thing? You rallied against me and others calling us racist but this has been allowed. Why have the mods allowed this? Do you not thing Uncle Tom is offensive?

Also, since people will claim this isn't racist: 

Uncle Tom is the title character of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1852 novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin. The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an exceedingly subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/dear-white-people-stop-using-the-term-uncle-tom/2018/11/15/8a68e9c0-e84e-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.d35a25e8796e

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 14

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

Hold on real quick while I grab names/references from a multitude of sources in history and compare them to every nation leader name. 

Grow the f up Kastor - Tom has been our Uncle for legit a very very long time, not only is he the least racist person I've ever met, but he's the nicest mf in this game. Your wild claims of racism based of his name are insanely ridiculous.

IN RL my Uncle's name is Tom - I call him Uncle Tom - does that mean I'm a racist too?

Sit the f down - go back to your dark corner.

"dark corner" WaS tHaT rAcISt? - no dumbass.

Edited by Mad Max
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Uncle Tom said:

Lol dude I'm black. It's a satire. ?Minor edit; My name was originally Tom Riddle for discord, it was changed when SLY rebranded to RR; a new name was needed and I dropped Riddle and added uncle because I was like a father figure to some of my members but not quite. Then I remembered who uncle Tom was. Also if you'd like to scrub uncle Tom from people's memory that's not okay; it's history as well as a phrase used to express selling out.

I could care less if you're black, white, purple, green, teal, or aqua.

The "Uncle Tom" name is racist, I never said it should be wiped from history, but if I changed my name to a nazi commander, Alex would ban me on sight. The fact that he's allowed this is clear and cut disregard for what black people have went through.

I'm not asking you to get banned, just simply asking for the name to be changed, as it should be, because its a derogatory term used to insult African Americans.

@Alex Can I run with the name "Richard Baer" then?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

1 minute ago, Mad Max said:

Hold on real quick while I grab names/references from a multitude of sources in history and compare them to every nation leader name. 

Grow the f up Kastor - Tom has been our Uncle for legit a very very long time, not only is he the least racist person I've ever met, but he's the nicest mf in this game. Your wild claims of racism based of his name are insanely ridiculous.

IN RL my Uncle's name is Tom - I call him Uncle Tom - does that mean I'm a racist too?

Sit the f down - go back to your dark corner.

"dark corner" WaS tHaT rAcISt? - no dumbass.

I never attacked the person using the name, because I don't know if he used it in a negative way, he said he didn't, for the most part, I believe him. I think his avatar use is interesting along with the name. I just want the name gone from the game, which is simple and isn't that much to ask, tbh.

• Downvote 11

1 minute ago, Kastor said:

I never attacked the person using the name, because I don't know if he used it in a negative way, he said he didn't, for the most part, I believe him. I think his avatar use is interesting along with the name. I just want the name gone from the game, which is simple and isn't that much to ask, tbh.

Well it is when you're ignorant.

Maybe in your little world you can 'want' things and you get them, but the reality is nobody should bend over backwards for your wild claims of racism - especially when your claims are the furthest from the truth. You are directly attacking Tom by claiming his name is racist - comparing it to something in history, then pointing out his 'interesting avatar' - you're wrong, sit down or would you prefer to take a knee?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

Try running with the name "ImTrash" 

More suitable.

All you've done is try to personally attack me, all I've asked is for a racist name to be removed from the game, with no penalty against the one using it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Just now, Kastor said:

All you've done is try to personally attack me, all I've asked is for a racist name to be removed from the game, with no penalty against the one using it. 

You attacked a great friend of mine - therefore I come to defend.

Sure, try to sidestep now with the illusion that you're not flat out attacking Tom and labeling him as a racist - you may think you're clever, but your personality and character is honestly a missed punchline of a joke.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If we gonna ban the name Tom we also need to ban every name. I'm sure if you look really hard you could find a random name, find a racist individual and then claim that it offends you because someone with that name is racist.

So might as well ban all names and start changing out names to numerical numbers unless you find a way to make that racist as well

• Like 3

PoJQyFJ.gif

Just now, Arizona Robbins said:

If we gonna ban the name Tom we also need to ban every name. I'm sure if you look really hard you could find a random name, find a racist individual and then claim that it offends you because someone with that name is racist.

So might as well ban all names and start changing out names to numerical numbers unless you find a way to make that racist as well

Can't have numbers - I remember a regime that numbered people, I think that was the Nazis. That would be offensive.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mad Max said:

Can't have numbers - I remember a regime that numbered people, I think that was the Nazis. That would be offensive.

Oshit fam, well we cant start calling ourselves colors, cant use names, cant use numbers, cant use symbols, where do we go now fam we ran out of ways to name ourselves

• Upvote 1

PoJQyFJ.gif

1 minute ago, Arizona Robbins said:

Oshit fam, well we cant start calling ourselves colors, cant use names, cant use numbers, cant use symbols, where do we go now fam we ran out of ways to name ourselves

Colors? Why - so they can be segregated into groups? right back at racist again.

Just gonna have to throw the whole game away.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

Just gonna have to throw the whole game away.

Damn fam that's truuu, cant avoid racism at all 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

PoJQyFJ.gif

Thank you sir'

2 minutes ago, Auctor said:

To clarify for a modern audience, Uncle Tom's Cabin was meant to convey an antislavery message, it wasn't an instructional manual.

unknown-4.jpg.f71897bddd7a86baf48c07b772ebb629.jpg

^ NO LONGER^

1 hour ago, Kastor said:

I could care less if you're black, white, purple, green, teal, or aqua.

The "Uncle Tom" name is racist, I never said it should be wiped from history, but if I changed my name to a nazi commander, Alex would ban me on sight. The fact that he's allowed this is clear and cut disregard for what black people have went through.

I'm not asking you to get banned, just simply asking for the name to be changed, as it should be, because its a derogatory term used to insult African Americans.

@Alex Can I run with the name "Richard Baer" then?

There is an Erich Manstein who would be hard to avoid associating with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_Manstein

It seems pretty open in terms of what names can be used. There was also another player who named himself Benito Mussolini and RPed as Mussolini and he was pretty big. 

There's also  a player who has all their commanders named after Nazis like Guderian, etc. 

Edited by Roquentin

Would be hard to believe this thread isn’t a joke, except who posted it.This is a politics & war game. Not a safe bubble to keep people safe from seeing any names or ideas they can find offense in. If his name irritates you, do something about in-game to make him change it. Don’t cry to the mods.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Alex locked this topic