Oregon SB501

WISD0MTREE

Oregon is trying to catch up to California, New Jersey, Hawaii, Washington, and Illinois in their race to the worst state for the Second Amendment. SB501, introduced back in January, would introduce the nation's strictest gun laws. If it passes, it would

• Raise the minimum age to 21 to buy a gun.
  • Require people to obtain a permit from a sheriff to buy a gun. Other permits, particularly carry permits, have a history of becoming unobtainable. Recent abuse can be seen in the case of George Young Jr. v. State of Hawaii, where it was revealed Hawaii only gave four concealed carry permits in the past eighteen years.
  • Complete a safety course to obtain a permit.
  • Limit magazine capacity, fixed or detachable, to 5 rounds. (Tube fed .22lrs and lever action rifles are exempt.) This effectively bans most revolvers. In addition, this would be the smallest limit, smaller than New York's 7 round limit, which was struck down by a federal judge in 2014.
  • Require all guns to be locked at all times, making them difficult to obtain in a self defense situation.
  • Require background checks and an ammo purchase database.
  • Limit the amount of ammo a person can buy to 20 rounds per month, except ammo bought and shot at shooting ranges.
  • Still allow sheriffs to deny permits even if the person passed every check and met every requirement.
  • Penalize firearm owners who don't report stolen firearms within 24 hours with no provision exempting people out of town. Go on vacation and your house gets robbed? Now you're the criminal.
  • Establish a 14 day waiting period.
  • Charge a "reasonable fee" to obtain the permit with no stated amount. The National Firearms Act of 1934 established a "reasonable fee" of $200, or over $3,500 adjusted for inflation in 2019.

I should note that no gun or magazine banned by this law would be grandfathered in, unlike many other gun laws. Even California grandfathered in "large" capacity magazines when they were banned, granted they banned the grandfathered magazines a few years ago. Oregon currently has a Democrat super-majority in the legislature. Plus, their Democratic governor received $250,000 from Michael Bloomberg, founder of Everytown for Gun Safety. This is Governor Brown's largest political donation ever received. Even though it's still in committee, Oregon Democrats could push this through almost overnight. Oh, and the bill was created by students from the organization Students for Change. State Senator Rob Wagner, who introduced the bill, states he did not check the constitutionality of the bill prior to introducing it. This unconstitutional law, created by kids, could easily make a state become the worst state for gun owners overnight if the Oregon legislature decided to go through with it.

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

On 2/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, WISD0MTREE said:

Raise the minimum age to 21 to buy a gun.

Any? Kinda high. I understand having a minimum for handguns but hunting rifles should of stayed at 18

Require people to obtain a permit from a sheriff to buy a gun. Other permits, particularly carry permits, have a history of becoming unobtainable. Recent abuse can be seen in the case of George Young Jr. v. State of Hawaii, where it was revealed Hawaii only gave four concealed carry permits in the past eighteen years.

Do not see how this is constitutional in any form. Who's ensuring the Sheirff isnt being biased and abusing this power. As a liberal I am against this as it does infringe on a legal abiding citizens to obtain a gun, which is protected by the Second Amendment.

Complete a safety course to obtain a permit

I get this, and tbh I agree with the requirement of a safety course to be taken. Everyone who plans to own a gun needs to know how to handle it safely.

Limit magazine capacity, fixed or detachable, to 5 rounds. (Tube fed .22lrs and lever action rifles are exempt.) This effectively bans most revolvers. In addition, this would be the smallest limit, smaller than New York's 7 round limit, which was struck down by a federal judge in 2014.

Lol this is a stupid term and I'm sure a federal judge will strike this one down as well.

Require all guns to be locked at all times, making them difficult to obtain in a self defense situation.

I understand the reason behind this but yes, in a dire situation, this makes it difficult and imo it's the responsibility of the owner, not the government, on how secure your weapons are in your own property.

Still allow sheriffs to deny permits even if the person passed every check and met every requirement.

Ridiculous term - if a person is a legal abiding citizen who passes every check, they shouldn't he denied. Abuse of power

Penalize firearm owners who don't report stolen firearms within 24 hours with no provision exempting people out of town. Go on vacation and your house gets robbed? Now you're the criminal.

Good thing I dont live in Oregon

Establish a 14 day waiting period.

A bit on inconvienence, and considering Americans are the least patient people in the world, I dont see how this will work out. 

Charge a "reasonable fee" to obtain the permit with no stated amount. The National Firearms Act of 1934 established a "reasonable fee" of $200, or over $3,500 adjusted for inflation in 2019

3,500$ isnt a reasonable amount so not sure how they can charge that. It would only ensure the poor cannot obtain a gun for hunting or self defense purposes so 

Overall, I agree with your assessment. For once a liberal like me agrees with a conservative. This is unconstitutional and I hope Oregon makes the right choice and vote no on this bill

• Upvote 1

PoJQyFJ.gif