If you could...

Aksel

Micros  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Micro Alliances: Do they help or harm the game progression?

Why are smaller/micro alliances good/bad for this game?

If you could say anything to a new alliance about to pop up a DoE in alliance affairs, what would you say?

Edited by Mad Max
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Second

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4
  • "We ruin the countries we govern and the people in our care. We slaughter our enemies and sacrifice all our allies. We’ll keep killing till there’s nothing left but to destroy ourselves. It will never be enough"
  • "You'll never win"

I don't think all nations in smaller alliances would join bigger ones if the ability to make them were removed; so they can be good. Also almost every big alliance began as a micro at some point; so I think its a good thing people can create new alliances & bring more people to the game in an attempt to make it grow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Dabigbluewhale said:

Depends on the micro. Biased because I'm in a micro alliance though. 

What factors cause an alliance to be good/bad - say, why is your micro better than another micro?

8 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

On the one hand, they do cause some harm... on the other hand, their polar opposites, the mass-recruitment blob alliances, can and do far, far more harm to the game's 'progression', as you put it.

I'd say don't be afraid to be small, don't be afraid to get into conflict, and don't be afraid to get rolled. Getting rolled is okay, giving up in the face of hardship is not.

Also third

So what is the harm that micros cause? I didn't quite catch that in your reply.

Thanks btw.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Well, the worst harm that they can cause is pretty much the same harm as the mass alliances can cause, which is to be so structured, defensive, and cautious as to give a completely boring and terrible gameplay experience to their membership, and thus turn otherwise promising players off of the game. We don't have nearly enough retention as it is.

I agree with this generally, but I don't agree this is inherent to micros. I've joined big alliances that gave me the exact experience you're describing, and I've built up micros who were part of some exciting wars and backroom politics. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Dabigbluewhale said:

I agree with this generally, but I don't agree this is inherent to micros. I've joined big alliances that gave me the exact experience you're describing, and I've built up micros who were part of some exciting wars and backroom politics. 

Oh, I fully agree, that's why I said as much in my post. In fact, large-scale alliances can be much worse.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Well, the worst harm that they can cause is pretty much the same harm as the mass alliances can cause, which is to be so structured, defensive, and cautious as to give a completely boring and terrible gameplay experience to their membership, and thus turn otherwise promising players off of the game. We don't have nearly enough retention as it is.

Many micros are actually involved in a lot of wars and drama; just they mostly stay away from OWF. So most of it is never heard about; although the time I spent in micros did tend to be filled with action & never boring at least.

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

be so structured, defensive, and cautious as to give a completely boring and terrible gameplay experience to their membership, and thus turn otherwise promising players off of the game. We don't have nearly enough retention as it is.

This is the game's biggest problem IMO, not enough retention is a symptom of boring and terrible gameplay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's more about the community than the alliance. A good community will keep players, a bad one will loose players. There can be micros with good communities and active ones, however they aren't nearly as common as micros that cause people to get bored and quit easily. There are large alliances that have boring communities, but generally large alliances have good, active communities that keep lots of players in the game. Plus lots of large alliances offer academies and other helpful tools like economic aid etc that get players more interested in orbis and pnw in general.

Edited by Pheonix
  • Upvote 1

I voted for Harm, but in all honesty, even large alliances can cause harm.  There's like...  2 right now that do that I can list off.  There's a few more that are questionable.

Just a hint:  We've moved from eliminating GPA type alliances to protecting them now.

I do second some of what Auctor stated.  The only real value of a micro alliance is giving people a chance at some responsibility.  Chances are, they'll fail hard, but whether they learn from it or not - who knows till they do it.

The ones who keep creating over and over and still failing are obviously ones who aren't learning and therefore are detrimental to the community when they recruit new players, because chances are - they're just teaching them how to fail.

I will always recommend players to join a Top 20 Alliance and learn the game first before splitting off to do their own thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

What would an alliance size need to be in order to be a micro, how many cities, how many nations or simply based on their nation score. I would say it really do not matter the size of an alliance big or small can do great harm to the game in many ways.

Edited by MoonShadow
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MoonShadow said:

What would an alliance size need to be in order to be a micro, how many cities, how many nations or simply based on their nation score. I would say it really do not matter the size of an alliance big or small can do great harm to the game in many ways.

I think it's more of a membership count, honestly.

One could've considered TEst as a micro imo, but a micro with experienced players that didn't need much to learn.  Would I consider that a detrimental alliance?  No.  GOB also fits into this too.

Neither of them took in new players and left them out to dry, so there was no real effect on the gaming community at large.

Honestly the question is sort of tricky because there are grey areas in it.

My alliance KoM just hit #30 so i think im allowed to talk about this lol.

i can give you this, micros are needed to start war. the big bois are too aware to the costs to act. and i guess we all can agree on that. 

and ofcourse, some micros are literal shit. noobs create alliance and teach their noob knowledge to newer players who could potentially do great in the game but lead them into the darkness.

as Buorhann said, better learn figure out shit before making your own thing. 

otherwise, micros are needed to have contrast in the game. it facilitates people who want a more individual focused gameplay and not one of the masses. 

2 hours ago, Buorhann said:

I think it's more of a membership count, honestly.

One could've considered TEst as a micro imo, but a micro with experienced players that didn't need much to learn.  Would I consider that a detrimental alliance?  No.  GOB also fits into this too.

Neither of them took in new players and left them out to dry, so there was no real effect on the gaming community at large.

Honestly the question is sort of tricky because there are grey areas in it.

I totally agree with you, on the other side you have some larger alliances with such 30 members plus who have no experience and mass recruit with no thought on how to help the members.

4 hours ago, Blitz said:

My alliance KoM just hit #30 so i think im allowed to talk about this lol.

i can give you this, micros are needed to start war. the big bois are too aware to the costs to act. and i guess we all can agree on that. 

and ofcourse, some micros are literal shit. noobs create alliance and teach their noob knowledge to newer players who could potentially do great in the game but lead them into the darkness.

as Buorhann said, better learn figure out shit before making your own thing. 

otherwise, micros are needed to have contrast in the game. it facilitates people who want a more individual focused gameplay and not one of the masses. 

I comepletly agree. So when is KoM going to learn that building 2k infra at like 10 cities is idiotic, the only reason why you guys haven’t learned is because your hiding behind 3 procterates, building IITC at like 13 cities and expecting to still be alive by the time it pays itself back28vgj8o.jpg  Also you guys somehow peace vs a pirate In a 5v1? 

Preach what you teach

Edit: on topic I think micros are fine as long as they are properly guiding players. Lots of players I feel fall into the trap of joining an AA with an inactive community/ no guidance and just get rolled till they quit. I’m not saying micro= harm but more than likely it causes harm. Most likely cause a lot of players start an alliance straight off getting 1k NS and then never learn anything and recruit members causing more people to learn nothing

Edited by KingGhost
  • Like 3