Jump to content
Yoda

2018 P&W Award Voting

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Every leader has an equal vote (Alliances with more members already have an advantage in the vote for the masses). The winner could be chosen by a simple majority of the votes.  But for this to work, we need enough alliance leaders to show interest, besides Kastor's approval

And what happens if the panel and the popular vote disagree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Edward I said:

And what happens if the panel and the popular vote disagree?

The public at-large, naturally. Not P&W public, the literal, unregistered public who visit here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you just have each alliance conduct its own awards? It's not like any of these awards are impartial or anything.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a rep per alliance is not a bad idea, at least from the perspective of an actual official awards ceremony. Personally I'd just trash the "official" aspect and not have ingame awards, but if your gonna do it this way it might be a bit more fair at least.

Alliances can then choose whether they have their leadership just pick their votes or have their members vote on it. 

The obvious flaw is that spheres/groupings with more alliances will have the advantage rather than more memberss, so you'll still likely face a slant.

Plus presumably some groups will decide to collaborate on their votes rather than vote honestly based on their actual opinions. Theres no way to ensure people will ever vote in good faith, especially in a political game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think just dropping the idea of them being “official” would be best way to do it, since all these ideas on how to do them aren’t very good & they’ll likely be biased regardless. Them being sanctioned as official seems to be why some care how they’re done so much, also letting a smaller group of people decide would likely just make them more biased.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

Doing a rep per alliance is not a bad idea, at least from the perspective of an actual official awards ceremony. Personally I'd just trash the "official" aspect and not have ingame awards, but if your gonna do it this way it might be a bit more fair at least.

Alliances can then choose whether they have their leadership just pick their votes or have their members vote on it. 

The obvious flaw is that spheres/groupings with more alliances will have the advantage rather than more memberss, so you'll still likely face a slant.

Plus presumably some groups will decide to collaborate on their votes rather than vote honestly based on their actual opinions. Theres no way to ensure people will ever vote in good faith, especially in a political game.

The other big problem I can see with this system is that it's hard to justify an alliance the size of NPO or BK would have their vote count as much as TEst or CoS. By population alone it would have to be worked out where their vote would have more weight as they are representing so many more people.

Also would we just cut it off at the top 50 alliances get a say? Top 15?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently you can make secret polls on the forum but you need to install a plugin e.g. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8756-ne-hide-poll-results/

Something to consider for next time perhaps

Edited by Yoda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Leopold von Habsburg said:

The other big problem I can see with this system is that it's hard to justify an alliance the size of NPO or BK would have their vote count as much as TEst or CoS. By population alone it would have to be worked out where their vote would have more weight as they are representing so many more people.

Also would we just cut it off at the top 50 alliances get a say? Top 15?

Well, the idea is supposedly to combat the mass vote spamming certain alliances, specifically ones with large member counts, do. So scaling it by member count would kind of undermine the point its trying to address.

This only really matters if Alex intends to continue to make these votes "official", and provide ingame awards for them. If he doesn't, then its just a meaningless community organised popularity test that alliances will rig for political points, and its fine.

Frankly, if hes going to go this route, he should remove the rewards he gave out last year and start from scratch. Or he should just stay out of it and let the community do it however they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Apparently you can make secret polls on the forum but you need to install a plugin e.g. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8756-ne-hide-poll-results/

Something to consider for next time perhaps

I think keeping what people voted for hidden from everyone except a small group of alliances or individuals is one of the worst justifications for doing it this way. The best justification would probably be that most people don't bother using the forum, but I doubt those people have an opinion on the several dozen awards they were asked to vote for. People who just use their phones to log into the game can't even see anybodies sigs; also people can't really make an informed vote on the best flags without taking the time to find the flag's they were voting for & weren't shown in the same place they were voting.

So I thought the amount of awards people were expected to vote for all at once made it ridiculous to expect anyone to take the time to make informed votes or take it seriously at all. (Would have taken to long)

Edited by Noctis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

Frankly, if hes going to go this route, he should remove the rewards he gave out last year and start from scratch. Or he should just stay out of it and let the community do it however they want.

Would have to scratch the awards from the year before that too and probably every previous award ceremony :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sketchy said:

Well, the idea is supposedly to combat the mass vote spamming certain alliances, specifically ones with large member counts, do. So scaling it by member count would kind of undermine the point its trying to address.

This only really matters if Alex intends to continue to make these votes "official", and provide ingame awards for them. If he doesn't, then its just a meaningless community organised popularity test that alliances will rig for political points, and its fine.

Frankly, if hes going to go this route, he should remove the rewards he gave out last year and start from scratch. Or he should just stay out of it and let the community do it however they want.

He didn't provide them for 2017. He didn't announce ahead of time he wasn't continuing that, but they really shouldn't receive an official sanction at all.  The votespamming was partly to show that it was absurd that it would achieve an in-game distinction for a popularity contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shadowthrone said:

Would have to scratch the awards from the year before that too and probably every previous award ceremony :P 

11 minutes ago, Roquentin said:

He didn't provide them for 2017. He didn't announce ahead of time he wasn't continuing that, but they really shouldn't receive an official sanction at all.  The votespamming was partly to show that it was absurd that it would achieve an in-game distinction for a popularity contest.

Ah, it was 2016 I was thinking of then not 2017. Does that mean he has no plans to add in-game awards this time?

Doesn't really change my position though, if hes going to change the way he handles the awards, he should probably remove the older ones.

Or alternatively we can return to just treating this like a community project and people can bicker about the 10 different ways to do it and make 10 different award ceremonies and the rest of us can just ignore them.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, Inst said:

Why don't you just have each alliance conduct its own awards? It's not like any of these awards are impartial or anything.

We have them at the end of the year and in summer

YsZmBhg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sketchy said:

Ah, it was 2016 I was thinking of then not 2017. Does that mean he has no plans to add in-game awards this time?

He didn't even announce that Kastor was in charge of them this year. There have been no public statements or information from him, so I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

7 hours ago, Sketchy said:

Doesn't really change my position though, if hes going to change the way he handles the awards, he should probably remove the older ones.

Or alternatively we can return to just treating this like a community project and people can bicker about the 10 different ways to do it and make 10 different award ceremonies and the rest of us can just ignore them. 

It's probably best for him to lock this subforum and force everyone to conduct their unofficial awards in Orbis Central or offsite if we go this route, but otherwise I agree completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sketchy said:

Doesn't really change my position though, if hes going to change the way he handles the awards, he should probably remove the older ones.

184370.png

Screw you Sketchy, I earned this. Alex may not be doing ingame awards anymore, but I'm keeping this one. 💩

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason to take away any awards already given to people. They don’t give any special advantage to anyone & if they like them; might as well allow them to keep them.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 1:37 PM, Edward I said:

He didn't even announce that Kastor was in charge of them this year. There have been no public statements or information from him, so I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

It's probably best for him to lock this subforum and force everyone to conduct their unofficial awards in Orbis Central or offsite if we go this route, but otherwise I agree completely.

Welp he has, he didn't do it the year Cynic did it, or the year Bezzers did it. But by all means, he has to give a public statement for me, yet again? Because that makes sense.

 

Alex notoriously doesn't make statements, he did that one year because I wanted to up the awards(own subforum, in-game awards), I have a history of making the awards better than they were and upping the standards. I'll probably do it again in 2 years and you'll be there to rage against me, like people were in 2016. :P

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kastor said:

Welp he has, he didn't do it the year Cynic did it, or the year Bezzers did it. But by all means, he has to give a public statement for me, yet again? Because that makes sense.

 

Alex notoriously doesn't make statements, he did that one year because I wanted to up the awards(own subforum, in-game awards), I have a history of making the awards better than they were and upping the standards. I'll probably do it again in 2 years and you'll be there to rage against me, like people were in 2016. :P

Keep the amount way lower if you ever do, I voided the rest of my votes after maybe voting for 3 or 4. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noctis said:

Keep the amount way lower if you ever do, I voided the rest of my votes after maybe voting for 3 or 4. Lol

A different page for each category (same link) and the ability to save your responses and continue later may make it more palatable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

A different page for each category (same link) and the ability to save your responses and continue later may make it more palatable

Also if voting on sigs, flags, avatars & other images; would better if people can see the images they’re voting on without searching for them would also make it better. So people don’t just vote based on the ones they recognize the names for, but actually which is the best would make it better. 

Know it would be work to gather the images people are voting on for them to see as they’re voting; although think it would be better to not have those rewards than expect people to search for them separate. So a number of things could be improved. Also does anyone know if any in-game rewards will be given this time or is that a mystery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the Guidelines of the game and community.