Increase max MAP pool to 18 / 24?

Lu Xun

Just wondering what players might think if we increased the max MAP pool to 18 or 24 MAPs.  There are both positives and negatives involved with this.

Positive:

-The game has sort of absurd activity requirements, making it relatively hard for players to fight effectively. Increasing the MAP pool to 18 or 24 maps would allow players to be less active while having most of their military efficiency.

-Makes it easier for defenders to successfully counter attackers; i.e, if a counter-counter is launched and a defender is "relieved", they now have more MAP with which to punish the attacker.

Negative:

-Makes it harder for losing sides to relieve targets, since counters can be counter-countered and turned into traps should a counter be neutralized.

-Makes "torment" or blockade abuse more brutal. Allows attackers to only use the MAP needed to destroy military, while being able to remove 66-84 MAP if they need to end the war.

• Downvote 3

I don’t see a need to increase. Takes 12 hours for someone to max if they start at 6 & don’t attack until they reach the limit. As well as 24 hours to go from 0 to max; so I don’t think the cap on them are a problem & could have unintended consequences on the games balance. Such as making it easier for a nation to win with just naval attacks than it already is; since they do most resistance damage & nations could save the max amount & do a bunch of naval hits in a row after the other nation has already used to much MAP on other attacks to win.

Edited by Noctis

libertyribbon.png

Oh come on, the activity requirement essentially comes down to logging on once per day. If you can't do that, then... you miss out on some action points, that's not that big of a problem.

As for the rest though... an alliance that's getting heavily outfought would benefit from this change a great deal, since they'd be able to stack a helluva lot of MAPs that can be used for a sudden focused blitz on one of the enemy's fronts (ground, air, or naval) and thus force a few fronts into beige.

In principle I'd agree with the idea on that basis, but that the idea is coming from an alliance that would benefit greatly from it makes me wary.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also I don’t think wars in this game would be more fun if a bigger emphasis is put on saving up to much MAP without attacking first as best way to win. Nation with close to double the cities of another in range can possibly build enough ships in one day to break through a navy it takes another nation several days to build.

So I also feel like this would probably make it more difficult for nations with less cities to defeat higher city nations.

libertyribbon.png

This feels too political, so we might be best off discussing this post-war. I agree that this makes it harder for updeclares to work, but you don't launch updeclares unless you have a significant numerical advantage anyways. On the other hand, seeing 5 city nations engaging 20 city nations because the 5 city nation is max mil and the 20 city nation is completely depleted is a rather silly sight.

16 minutes ago, Inst said:

On the other hand, seeing 5 city nations engaging 20 city nations because the 5 city nation is max mil and the 20 city nation is completely depleted is a rather silly sight.

That 20 city nation could very easily double buy and overcome that 5 city nation.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Inst said:

This feels too political, so we might be best off discussing this post-war. I agree that this makes it harder for updeclares to work, but you don't launch updeclares unless you have a significant numerical advantage anyways. On the other hand, seeing 5 city nations engaging 20 city nations because the 5 city nation is max mil and the 20 city nation is completely depleted is a rather silly sight.

I declared on Cobber (21 Cities), Shadow (19 Cities) & Simpleton (18 Cities) at same time despite being only one in alliance attacking at the time (I have 11 Cities). Only Shadow & Simpleton ended up fighting back; with Simpleton just doing some naval attacks. Although was actually the one of the more interesting wars I’ve fought & didn’t expect any others to declare on them when I hit.

So not everyone thinks like that & it being a hard fought war to win made it more fun. Didn’t even see Shadow had challanged me to declare on him until after the war was over as well. Was a very close war where every MAP mattered & I think if your suggestion were implemented it might not have been possible for an 11 city nation like mine to win against a higher city count nation like that.

libertyribbon.png

16 hours ago, Noctis said:

I declared on Cobber (21 Cities), Shadow (19 Cities) & Simpleton (18 Cities) at same time despite being only one in alliance attacking at the time (I have 11 Cities). Only Shadow & Simpleton ended up fighting back; with Simpleton just doing some naval attacks. Although was actually the one of the more interesting wars I’ve fought & didn’t expect any others to declare on them when I hit.

So not everyone thinks like that & it being a hard fought war to win made it more fun. Didn’t even see Shadow had challanged me to declare on him until after the war was over as well. Was a very close war where every MAP mattered & I think if your suggestion were implemented it might not have been possible for an 11 city nation like mine to win against a higher city count nation like that.

It certainly would've made my beating a 23 city nation while being at 7 in SALT impossible. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, Inst said:

On the other hand, seeing 5 city nations engaging 20 city nations because the 5 city nation is max mil and the 20 city nation is completely depleted is a rather silly sight.

The question is, why did that c5 declare on that c20?

• Upvote 2