Open Season

Velium

I'm more surprised it was AK that officially DOWed, as a Syndisphere protectorate. There's also VG assets counter-raiding after the 450mn cash + RSS raid, and there's even a Syndicate-Enterprise strike team attacking Arrgh, when the nation involved never directly attacked a Syndicate-Enterprise asset.

2 minutes ago, Inst said:

I'm more surprised it was AK that officially DOWed, as a Syndisphere protectorate. There's also VG assets counter-raiding after the 450mn cash + RSS raid, and there's even a Syndicate-Enterprise strike team attacking Arrgh, when the nation involved never directly attacked a Syndicate-Enterprise asset.

Who hasn’t Arghh been attacking is better question than who they aren’t. Seems Arghh has been involved in every recent conflict to bandwagon in for loot & lulz. Alliances can & should defend against pirates to keep the balance

libertyribbon.png

41 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Who hasn’t Arghh been attacking is better question than who they aren’t. Seems Arghh has been involved in every recent conflict to bandwagon in for loot & lulz. Alliances can & should defend against pirates to keep the balance

When pirates attack them, sure. However, pirates do not damage this games balance. There may have been, long ago, a time when Arrgh was a threat beyond a nuisance to most alliances, but that time has long since past. 

Frankly, i'm of the opinion theyre just doing other alliances AA work when they're too lazy to be bothered. Arrgh does them a great service, and all they get for it is DoW by clueless fools who think declaring war on arrgh with 6 wars or 60 will do anything but make people laugh at them.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Is this a result of them raiding you, is this you trying to police them, or is it stemming something else?

I advise you to take this inquiry seriously.

Pre's right. Why are you doing this? The situation is more complex than you might perhaps realize, on several levels. Think this through.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Defend, of course. But attack the pirates? Think about it; when a couple of pirates declare on your alliance then both sides have to spend assets to fight. If you declare on pirates that weren't hitting you before, though, then you have to spend all that much more when you didn't need to. After all, the pirate could have hit someone else... thus draining both their assets and the assets of your potential rival, a net gain for all uninvolved parties. Of course the reality is more complex than that, but the basic premise is still valid.

That said, your question is a good one. People really should look at who Arrgh raids... and who they don't. One might learn some very interesting things when researching the subject.

1 hour ago, Akuryo said:

When pirates attack them, sure. However, pirates do not damage this games balance. There may have been, long ago, a time when Arrgh was a threat beyond a nuisance to most alliances, but that time has long since past. 

Frankly, i'm of the opinion theyre just doing other alliances AA work when they're too lazy to be bothered. Arrgh does them a great service, and all they get for it is DoW by clueless fools who think declaring war on arrgh with 6 wars or 60 will do anything but make people laugh at them.

This. IMO, pirates are actually critically important to the game's balance, but getting into that would take a long time.

2 hours ago, Inst said:

If anything, that actually answers more questions than it raises. As with the other times Arrgh has had an official DoW against them, it's a mostly meaningless affectation; Arrgh is de-facto at war with everyone at all times regardless and declarations of war are thus redundant.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Vynneis said:

dunno why you guys hate arrgh praying, they're not even jewish.

Can confirm. They only worship loot and rum in particular.

Edited by Insert Name Here
ew, typo
  • Upvote 1

Let it be known that the freebooting pirate anarchy of Arrgh sails the seven seas.  Our thirst for glory and plunder be as fierce as our thirst for rum, that be fierce indeed

- Ogaden

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Pre's right. Why are you doing this? The situation is more complex than you might perhaps realize, on several levels. Think this through.

Defend, of course. But attack the pirates? Think about it; when a couple of pirates declare on your alliance then both sides have to spend assets to fight. If you declare on pirates that weren't hitting you before, though, then you have to spend all that much more when you didn't need to. After all, the pirate could have hit someone else... thus draining both their assets and the assets of your potential rival, a net gain for all uninvolved parties. Of course the reality is more complex than that, but the basic premise is still valid.

That said, your question is a good one. People really should look at who Arrgh raids... and who they don't. One might learn some very interesting things when researching the subject.

This. IMO, pirates are actually critically important to the game's balance, but getting into that would take a long time.

If anything, that actually answers more questions than it raises. As with the other times Arrgh has had an official DoW against them, it's a mostly meaningless affectation; Arrgh is de-facto at war with everyone at all times regardless and declarations of war are thus redundant.

My theory is Pirates mostly understand/respect force, let them raid you without getting hit back hard & they target you more. Blood for Blood is generally what Pirates understand best in my experience.

libertyribbon.png

Arrgh is a very proud alliance. Good luck getting a diplomatic solution with them, and the alternative usually costs you more than it costs them.

I like Arrgh, I think they're great fighters and a good source of mercenaries. But I do admit that they get out of hand at times. Taking another regular swill, here's to a healthy, lively Arrgh alliance.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Inst said:

Arrgh is a very proud alliance. Good luck getting a diplomatic solution with them, and the alternative usually costs you more than it costs them.

I like Arrgh, I think they're great fighters and a good source of mercenaries. But I do admit that they get out of hand at times. Taking another regular swill, here's to a healthy, lively Arrgh alliance.

Cost is such an arbitrary number. I think if an alliance or bloc can train some nations to hunt Arghh until able to successfully suppress them; those nations would be great fighters in any war then.

Although as long as the Pirates white peace who they fight; I would favor the same for Pirates after they experience being Pirated a bit & learn not to hit some AAs. I think pushovers ask to raided again & again; although not like I think Pirates should be fully exterminated or diplomacy is needed much with them.

libertyribbon.png

Arrgh isn't a conventional alliance that you can declare war on and beat. Their alliance culture and the way they operate is very unique. You can't fight them and get them to leave you alone. The most you can do is set up your members and government so that Arrgh won't raid you in the first place and so that if they do, you can respond and make their raids very unprofitable.

People can correct me on this, but the only alliance to actually 'contain' Arrgh was UPN back in... 2016 I think? I can't be bothered to check. That didn't last to long though and Arrgh was back to doing their thing quick enough. Still, that's 1 'success' compared to all the times Arrgh has been declared on by different alliances, and the same thing usually happens: 1 week of decent fighting, a few weeks of meh fighting, and then the war flat-lines and things go back to the way they were before the pointless DoW. Arrgh is not a normal alliance and you can't treat them like a normal alliance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

10 hours ago, Noctis said:

Simple. Arrgh has mostly not attacked not profitable/high risk nations. Arrgh has raided mostly high profit / low risk targets. You're one of latter aren't you?

(You're TUE, ofc you are, it's rethoric question, pls don't answer)

My theory is Pirates mostly understand/respect force, let them raid you without getting hit back hard & they target you more. Blood for Blood is generally what Pirates understand best in my experience.

That's your experience as a constant raid target I take it? Like I said earlier, Arrgh does what it does. However when you go and declare war on us, and start hitting people who weren't raiding you before, well, then all you do is paint a big target on your back.

Cost is such an arbitrary number. I think if an alliance or bloc can train some nations to hunt Arghh until able to successfully suppress them; those nations would be great fighters in any war then.

Although as long as the Pirates white peace who they fight; I would favor the same for Pirates after they experience being Pirated a bit & learn not to hit some AAs. I think pushovers ask to raided again & again; although not like I think Pirates should be fully exterminated or diplomacy is needed much with them.

You could do that yeah, some bigger alliances have exactly that, dedicated 10 city Arrgh handler experts. Can you imagine your whole point of existnace to counter some random pirate riads? I know right. Other than that, us pirates adapt. You develop some nations to attack us and war us for a long time. I bet you we'll just find a way around that too. But one thing you lack in comparison to us is persitancy. Raid is all we do, and we'll find a way to do it, whether you like it or not. Can't be said same about your endavour.

59 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

Arrgh isn't a conventional alliance that you can declare war on and beat. Their alliance culture and the way they operate is very unique. You can't fight them and get them to leave you alone. The most you can do is set up your members and government so that Arrgh won't raid you in the first place and so that if they do, you can respond and make their raids very unprofitable.

People can correct me on this, but the only alliance to actually 'contain' Arrgh was UPN back in... 2016 I think? I can't be bothered to check. That didn't last to long though and Arrgh was back to doing their thing quick enough. Still, that's 1 'success' compared to all the times Arrgh has been declared on by different alliances, and the same thing usually happens: 1 week of decent fighting, a few weeks of meh fighting, and then the war flat-lines and things go back to the way they were before the pointless DoW. Arrgh is not a normal alliance and you can't treat them like a normal alliance.

Yeah that was one time, and we all agreed it was bad decision to do it back then. It was supposed to be for a year, but we found a way to get out of that almost 6 months in that thing. Last time we got decently recked was Paper's Please. Almost a week after the war ended, I had my pirates resume raiding TKR, t$ and everyone involved agaisnt us, with our brand new 1 ship and fortify tactics. Was working miracles till our raids forced everyone competent to adapt to us, and to cry to admin till he changed how fortify works. (Found a workaround for that too)

• Upvote 1

tvPWtuA.gif

38 minutes ago, dracodogs said:

raids are the most useful thing attruions are bassically a bounties thing and is mostly for grudges and ordinary well is ordinary  

Regarding piracy, raid is the only useful war type ye. 

But in a regular war, attrition and ordinary is quite often used. And for good reason. Ofc, more the former than the latter.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, dracodogs said:

if you want cash just raid people who haven't been playing for quite a while i raid often only because i am very low

We now have a new understanding of the game

Listen to J Kell's new single: 

About The Author

An early member of Roz Wei in 2015, J Kell went on to stay within the paperless world of Empyrea before signing with Soup Kitchen while scoring a record deal in 2019. J Kell went on to release multiple Orbis Top 40 hits. In 2020, J Kell took a break from Orbis. He's back.

58 minutes ago, Noctis said:

@DragonK Haven’t been raided personally, but you pretty much just confirmed what I said. If you guys don’t get hit back hard, a target is considered low risk. I look forward to targets personally 

Noted. You're priority target now. We hope your first time is as pleasant as was mine :)

• Upvote 1

tvPWtuA.gif

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Already warred a bunch when BC got rolled & you guys bandwagoned there. So looking forward to it

You talk weirdly tough for somebody who got removed from their alliance and is in vacation mode.

noctis.png

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png