Resource-for-resource trades

Ryan1

I think it would be a good idea to do trades where you can offer resources in exchange for other resources globally. Currently, if I would like to exchange 2K bauxite for 1.5K gas, I must do a personal trade offer giving away the 2K bauxite for 0 PPU, then wait for another trade offer giving 1.5K gas for 0 ppu. Also, if you trade with the wrong person, they could just take the 2K bauxite and not give you the gas in return. 

The current system of resource exchange is risky and inconvenient. Furthermore, the current system isn't true 'trading' where you give one good in exchange for another. To that end, I think there should be a tab on the trading page for 'Resource exchange', where you can simply put up a global offer of 2K bauxite in exchange for 1.5K gas. It could be accepted by anyone with no risk of you being conned into giving away resources for free.

Edited by Ryan1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is actually a very thoughtful idea.  Creating an entire second board would be a strain on the servers, however, and maybe allowing private resource for resource trades is good enough.  This is good tho and would add simplicity to one of the most confusing parts of the game.

• Upvote 1

Listen to J Kell's new single: 

About The Author

An early member of Roz Wei in 2015, J Kell went on to stay within the paperless world of Empyrea before signing with Soup Kitchen while scoring a record deal in 2019. J Kell went on to release multiple Orbis Top 40 hits. In 2020, J Kell took a break from Orbis. He's back.

Or you could just post a trade at the current market price, and then use that money to buy whatever other resource you want. Having resource for resource trades creates the hassle of having to calculate if it's a good deal based on the monetary value of those resources.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't see what's fundamentally wrong with it. Barter is superior to cash trade when both parties can agree upon a price. At the present rate, if I want to trade coal for uranium, I'd have to convert it to money (at a loss) and the money to uranium (at a loss). It would improve the efficiency of the marketplace.

IRL, the Japanese and Chinese used barter-type aid deals, i.e, they'd be paid back in loans via oil or metals, denominated at a specific price. This reduces the possibility of embezzlement throughout the deal. In a PnW context, it'd require less steps and has a lower likelihood for something to go wrong (sent to the wrong person, etc).

35 minutes ago, Erland said:

Or you could just post a trade at the current market price, and then use that money to buy whatever other resource you want. Having resource for resource trades creates the hassle of having to calculate if it's a good deal based on the monetary value of those resources.

Or you could just read the OP, and have enough basic memory to keep some idea of average prices in your head, as opposed to saying something nonsensical and stupid. 

I like the idea of it being a personal trade option to allow more flexibility in peace terms and whatnot. I would not be so much of a fan of it being introduced to the global market because of the headache it would be to figure out what deals are better, but that's admittedly laziness on my part.

ArrghChristmasProud member of Arrgh! since November 23rd, 2018

This system's biggest flaws are: 

1. You can't buy a smaller amount unless Sheepy implements a way to do smaller amounts of equal value
2. For new players, you have to get an idea of what average prices are.

• Downvote 1