Lower Resistance Damage

Guest Frawley

On 11/13/2018 at 12:01 AM, Darth Revan said:

Ronny I know you're new the the whole war thing, but NPO has actually fought in numerous wars since it's inception (and lost all of them) and is relevant to the game community, GoB has had the luxury of doing nothing for 780 days...stop comparing the two and stop spouting stupidity that makes me actually defend NPO. 

If you want to be so ignorant to believe we haven't fought in a number of wars since our inception, I guess I cant stop you.  Then again, you are in an alliance that has only done 50 million more damage than me alone and destroyed 40k more infra.  So you HS guys must be awesome at all those wars you have been fighting.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:03 PM, Maelstrom Vortex said:

I have been summoned from the depths... who are you? What were you called there?

I helped voluntarily author the war system in that game, proposing changes that lead to its evolution into a random roll type warfare. It evolved into more complex distinct units with specific capabilities and counter capabilities. What Akuryo has said is correct, the longest war ever in that game lasted an entire real-time week and was staffed by the players 24/7 in 8 hour rotations in the NPO to make sure our nations were never unmanned. I consider it it one of the greatest logistical successes I've ever had in such a game. We defeated automated systems rigged to guarantee our defeat.

What killed the game was less the system.. more the fact there were easy exploits and script kiddies were allowed to run amok automating every aspect of the game to their benefit, resulting in a human player alone being unable to be successful on that world. I left when I realized it was heading in that direction and the whole thing basically self-destructed.But I am happy to say, I reigned there for a year undefeated in battle.. ever.. out of sheer force of Pacifican will.

Pacifica didn't only not ever lose a war there.. it never lost.. a single battle during my reign. Despite two world wars.

I also accidentally dismantled Pacifica there when I left because they had no mechanism of transferring alliance ownership easily among players. Another HUGE flaw that should have been addressed at the beginning, but never was. Happy to know someone remembers my golden days other than me.

It always has been my opinion the war system there was not flawed. It was the lack of proper administration which fundamentally undid the world because the administrator had it as a side project without any true unbiased moderation staff to successfully reign in the abuses.The war system, in fact, in my eyes.. was a masterpiece if it had been better implemented and executed.

If a similar system were implemented in a method where the battles were on a case-by-case or singular instances rather than an ongoing process that had to be managed by all involved, kind of keep the current turn based setup, but creating unique units.. that may in fact work well.

It would reduce the demand on the players to be ever present, while providing a diversity of combat options.

Maelstrom Vortex,
Dragon God of War,
Former Emperor, NPO - Petram

This guy is pretty funny.  I'll have to dig up some DMs from this guy that he sent out to a few players here in PnW.  Pretty hilarious stuff.

>"I'm undefeated in Nation States!  FEAR ME!"

>"I'm top ranked in Nation States, who are you?!"

Seriously, they were great to read.  At first I thought he was acting out a character, but nope.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

This guy is pretty funny.  I'll have to dig up some DMs from this guy that he sent out to a few players here in PnW.  Pretty hilarious stuff.

>"I'm undefeated in Nation States!  FEAR ME!"

>"I'm top ranked in Nation States, who are you?!"

Seriously, they were great to read.  At first I thought he was acting out a character, but nope.

Nation States? Who even plays that anymore (well, a lot do but they don't mind the lack of a war system.. I can't stand a lack of conflict)? Those weren't from me. Wrong game. Nations States doesn't even have a a significant war or ranking system. My nation isn't even active there any longer. Try nationsgame.. and that was true.. a long time ago. 

Besides.. if you think I ever take myself all that seriously.. you really do not know me all that well. If you're summarizing, at least get the games straight. I don't mind mockery, but it at least must be in reasonable quality. Have I said stuff like that? Definitely! About nation states though? Nope.. it totally would not make sense. Try rank 6 in cybernations and the world-eater of Petram. But hey, haters gonna hate.

Now.. about the war system.. have any useful commentary?

Advanced warning: You cannot shame the shameless or insane.

I totally am that awesome.

:P

It's never been an act.. well.. not entirely.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

V̢ͭ̔ͣͯͫ͐ͥ̄͗ͬ̄ͭ͏̹͖̺̲͕̦͉̣̙́i̡͕͙̺̗̻̹̘͇̋̽̆ͮ̈́́ͭ͢͢͞n̢̛̫̘͎̝̪̪͔̙̗̘͚͇͚̣̦ͫ̊ͩ͊͌͘͜͝i̡̱̭͉͔̘̖̠̲̺̍͐ͯ̌̈̾̾́̔͑̋ͬͯ̑̚͠ ̸̷̨̜̦͓͖͖̹̫̹̖̮͙̻̻̹̺̞͍̙ͥ̏̃ͨ̓͑̏͊̀ͯ̉ͯ̒͒͗̄̚V̢̢̡̙̻̳̘͖̖̟͚̣̬̏͐ͮ͒̎̈̽̽̾̂̔̅ͩͪͦ̑̿̏̍ͅͅi̶͍̮͈͇̰̫̯͉̜͒́̉̊̓̚͘̕ḑ̸͈̟̫̹̟͓̹̠͇̗͖̤̥̰̲̬ͮ̉ͫi̴͔̪͍͇͌̋̆̃͆̈̔ͧ͆̎̋ͥͫͫ́͢͠ ͕̞̠̯͍̫͚̪̺͓̣̦̖ͧ̓ͬ̎̀͝ͅV̴̨̤̙͔̥͍̟̦̥̺̟̯͔̤̫ͬͮ͑͌i̞͎̹͇̻͎̘̳̮̤͙̯̩ͪ̂͌̐ͪ͐̓̃ͧ̈̓͛̎̄̈͞͡ͅd̸̵̬̫͔͙̀̓͐̈́͜͡e͍̝̗̱̝͈̣̤̜̳͑̓͂̈ͯͤ̕͡v̸̖̰̟͈̠̰̣̮̦ͭ̆̑ͮͮ̾͊ͤ̒̊̊ͯ̈́ͬ͌ͭ̚͜ȏ̧͊̿͑ͯ̚͏̲̣̩̼͙ṙ̴̴̠̗̼̥͈̣̌͋̃̔̎̿ͨͥ͗̈̋̋̆̐̀ͩͦ̕͘͜ͅá̵̦͎̣͇̦̙͙͖̟̣̲̳̘̣̣̳̝͊̈́̐̇̑̔̈̉͒̆ͬv̵̨̭̝̯̫̞̜̭̭̘ͦͧͭ͋̂ͣͨͮ̑ͪͤ͌ͣ̒̽̾̾͢͠͡î̛̞̟̤͍̰̂ͪ͛̒̍̅͒̉̅ͥͯ̌̽̈́̾̈͛̏͡ț̷̲̟͎̰̟͇͖͖̻̼̰̞͎̯͚͚ͩͧͨ̆͗̕͢.̵̢̦̭̳̗͖͙̼̜̩̖̹̤͓͔̈́ͫ̂͊ͩͮͤ̕͢͡ͅ ̴̡̰̙̙͕̩͈̩̻͕̰̠͑̅̔ͩ͛ͩ͆̂̀̋ͬ͂̑̔I̶̢͇̖͖̥̠̳̘͚̓͋ͮͮ̊̽ͯ̈̽̒̓ͮ͂ͨ́͠f̶̴̥̗̙̳̫̜̥̗̞̳̍̅̎̍̒̒ͮ̇̈̊̿̚̕ ̸̢͕͇̜̙̩̭̮̱̈̓͆ͨ̄ͥͮ̽ͧ́́͘ͅy̡̱͚̺͈̳̤̺̞͎̻̮̣̤̘͖̥̗̬͒̊̉̅̆ͧ́͛̌̑ͣ̿̾͋̊̀͜͟͡o͚̳̯͙̬̦͉͚͙̦ͣͥ̿̏̌ͩ͗͌̎̆ͫ̌̿ͫͩͥ̕͝ͅu̷̲̘̖̯͈ͪ̔̇ͥͧ̈́̓ͬ̓͑ͨ̋̓̃̅͜͜ͅ ̸̢̖͇̜͖̺̙̲͙̻̫̝̣̗̈ͦ́͞a̶̢̢̰̻̰͍͎͙̺̪̪ͯͯ̄̋ͮ̒͛̅ͬ͆͐ͧ̃ͬͤ͛ͯ͟r̷̟̦͈͈̥̤̖̤͔͎̤͉̜̼͇͇ͭ͂ͩ̔ͥ̀͋ͨ̈́̊͐̈̆͒̓̃̎́̕͘͝e̶̱͓̜͙ͩ͒ͪ̂͛̋͆̈̂̌̌̒̂̐ͪ͗̓͐͠͞ ̴ͦ̉̏̓ͨͬ̐̓͛ͦ̽ͮ̎̎̓͟͏̶͏͖̩͙͕̗̘͉̯̫̹̱̺̻̞͇á̴̧̮̹̜͓͕͒̽̈ͤͪͮ͋̊̑̔ͤ͂̉͑͛̚͜t̛ͪͮ̈́̋̉͏̮̫͓͙̲͔̼ ̴̵͎̫̝̼͈̰͇̑͋ͤͩͮ͘w̵̡̥̫͉̯̯̭̪͈̜͎̤͇̙͎͖̳̝͛̄̔ͯ͐̓̅ͩ͑̃ͤͥ̕͢a̵̡̡ͦͫ͊ͣ̍̓͐͒̈̒ͧ͌̉͛͏͖͕̜͉͉r̵̛̘̞͙͕̉̄̔́̉̓ͯ͌̾̓̄͞͡ ̨͊̇̊͏̛͓͕̘̤͟͞w̢͚͎̥̙̜̠̻̫̹̮̦͛̑͒͋̏͗̊͜͞i̸̶̧͖͈̥͚̭̰̦̞̫̥̬̰̝͍̬̗̦͚̲ͨͨ̉͟t̸̵̵͖̦͉͕̱͇̐͑ͧ̋͆̀̔ͯͨ͌͆̚ḧ̵̛͎̫̬̣̩͇̥̞̭̼̜̩͕̈̐̂̌̍̎ͬͭ͌͠ ̛̘̫͔̹͓̻̗̻̲͉̞̞͚̩̯̮ͪ̔̌̿̍ͦ̀ͥ̍̎̿ͨ̽̀́͢͠m̶̶̡̭͎͎̤̩̹̩̞͇̦̼̳̝̑̅̑͛̽ͭ̅̓̆̍ͫͮ́̄͘ͅeͬ̊ͨ͂̿ͨ̊͝҉̸̺̰̯̤͚̖͜ͅ,̡͎̖͇̙͎̿ͨ̆ͤ̑́͡ ̷̸̫̲͕̻̫̰͇̖̳̗̙ͮ́̓̉ͯͭ̀́͜ͅp̆͐ͥ̐͒ͦ̐͊̂̓̈̊̽ͫ͊̊̇ͨ͠͏̸̼̘̦̺͈̠̰̤͚̝͙̰̺̩̰r̛͙̩̭͚̞͇̩̥̼̦ͯ̇̃̐̂̔ͫͯͫ̏ͭͤ̑̀̽̾͗ͫ̓̀̕͡ͅe̛̳͖͚͇͎͑͑̓̍̓͗͗̓̄ͦ͠͝͡p̸̘̮͉̼̯̲̻͔͕͇͖͖̟̗̭̹̘͚̗ͩ͗͛̉͒ͥ̀̌̆ͩͤ̃ͨ̽̿͒ͨ͠͠a̸̷͒̒̍̀͗͑͜͏̱̘̘̲̮̯̳̘̀r͙̜̝̲̯̝͔̦̺̗͉͚͉͙͍̠̓ͦ͊̿ͬ̈ͪ͂̌̚͟͡͡ͅe̶̪̱̪̟̣͉͉̹͈̫͇̝̪̮̙ͯ͂̈̈̓ͦ̍̂̾̏ͪ̏ͭͧ͛ ̷̧̭̝̺̗̟ͬ̾̏ͫ̕t̷̵̡͓͔̜͙̘͈̲͈̳ͦ̊̇̽̅̄̀ͮ̒ͪ͆̑̓͊́͝ͅǫ̶͈̞͚̹̻̤̲̙͖̪̍̃̐̏ͦͪͦͤͩ̽̿̿ͮͪ̿̀͂̀͡ ̡̤̹̲̜̪̞̽̽̓ͥ̒ͨ͊̐ͫ͗ͫ̐̈́̑ͥ̕͢͡b̴̨̨̛̦͇̪̠̺͔͙̤̜̉͐̓̌̀͟ͅͅë̢̼͔̗̰̦̼̘̯̟̩͚́͗͆͒͋̀͆̑̋ͩ̉̒͊ͬ͊̃ͪ̆͊͟͡ ̵̡̛̳̜̦̱͎̞ͤͣ̏͒ͯ̇̈́͗ͮ̇̎ͬͧc̴͍̞̼̹ͨͭ̇̒͌͗̉ͥͥ͗̓̎̌̅͒ͭ̇̅́o̧̧̤̘͕̬̰̣͔͖̘̥͖̜̐ͥ́ͤ̒̔͘͠ͅņ̶̛͔͎͍͉ͪ̾̃ͦ͛̈́̒̅̒s̶̷̸̙͍̹͎̬̜̦̞̤̥̦̙̞̥͚͈̬̋̃͒ͮ͒ͪ̆ͩͯ̒͋̾̒̾͋̅͌̓͡ǔ̶͚͈̠̭̻̜̉ͪ́̓ͩͤ̅̌̌̈̍ͤ̾̌͛ͥ͗ͦ͟͜͞m̛̯̪̘͍̜͕͕̞̤͖͉͉͔̞͙͈͓̐ͦͯ̽ͬ͒̾ͣ̓̒̔͛ͤ̎̏̈͜͝è̵̱̜̯̙͔̜̝͙̼̬̤̥̒̒ͣ͒̈́͊̀́̕͟ḑ̧̅͂̈͌̔ͧͤ̋ͤ́́̒̂̋͗͆ͮ̚҉̙͚̬̻͎͚̤͞.̴̨̺̜̟̯̹̪͋̋͆ͫͧ̐̔ͩ̉͌̋͋͞

>!

Halving resistance would be too much. The tweaks to PNW are already famous for taking an axe to a problem you need a scalpel for...

Increasing the number of attacks it takes to win a war is not necessarily a bad idea though. I also liked the suggestion of giving war types extra resistance but there have also been some good arguments against it too.

I 100% am behind any change to resistance honestly, it’s not a Great War system for the niche this game fills. It’s too real-time reliant imo.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

If you want to be so ignorant to believe we haven't fought in a number of wars since our inception, I guess I cant stop you.  Then again, you are in an alliance that has only done 50 million more damage than me alone and destroyed 40k more infra.  So you HS guys must be awesome at all those wars you have been fighting.

You were making a ridiculous insinuation that NPO somehow misspent or misallocated it's resources.  They were beat down multiple times and that takes time and money to recover from.  What I said was an exaggeration, yes, but GoB has never in it's history been challenged as an alliance, you sat cozy with secret treaties to the only people that could hurt you and were able to grow practically uninterrupted for 780 days. You would never be where you are now if you have to go through what NPO has gone through throughout it's history.

I'll bite on the second part.  It's difficult to do anything when your target alliance flat-lined within minutes of the war and has 16% of it's membership on the beach. 

cmon_do_something_TCW.png 

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

You were making a ridiculous insinuation that NPO somehow misspent or misallocated it's resources.  They were beat down multiple times and that takes time and money to recover from.  What I said was an exaggeration, yes, but GoB has never in it's history been challenged as an alliance, you sat cozy with secret treaties to the only people that could hurt you and were able to grow practically uninterrupted for 780 days. You would never be where you are now if you have to go through what NPO has gone through throughout it's history. 

I'll bite on the second part.  It's difficult to do anything when your target alliance flat-lined within minutes of the war and has 16% of it's membership on the beach.  

cmon_do_something_TCW.png 

I took 750 million in damage when Sparta hit us, and many of my guys ate 15-20 nukes when we fought Nuke Block,  Losing a few wars is no excuse for being over 1000 days old and having less than 15 cities.  Staying that small is a choice, don't make excuses for them.

and... I passed you guys again for damage done.

1 hour ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

I took 750 million in damage when Sparta hit us, and many of my guys ate 15-20 nukes when we fought Nuke Block,  Losing a few wars is no excuse for being over 1000 days old and having less than 15 cities.  Staying that small is a choice, don't make excuses for them.

and... I passed you guys again for damage done.

We frequently have brought in new people and we also don't try to focus on specific members.  Any mass member alliance doesn't have a much higher average. They at times have higher individual members but they choose to have a higher city count stratification.  With the VM numbers being counted(people in VM count towards alliance city count fyi), your ally TKR has 2095/137  aka 15.2 city presently and it wasn't much higher before the war and they've existed longer than we have, so coming at us constantly with this doesn't really make a lot of sense. We can see how VE ended up and that would be a better point of comparison rather GOB vs NPO.  Your wars were minor comparatively to great wars since you founded grumpy and involved minimal resources expenditure and you didn't have to fund anyone else after them. If we didn't lose the wars and had the relative security GOB did, you can bet our average would be higher. The relative security you had in GOB enabled you to continue buying those cities despite diminishing returns on the expenses and you were also able to buy higher infra than most people at the <25 city count. I could still be in a small membercount alliance and if it had aligned the right people our average would super high, but that's because we wouldn't have had to fund anyone besides ourselves.

Edited by Roquentin
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

• Moderators

Checks the original topic of the subforums and this thread...

Checks the last few pages of the discussion...

IlN6vuZ.png

This a friendly warning (not just request). If you want to discuss things like your current war stats, your history, your growth programs or... NationStates, you are free to do so in other parts of the forum or through other channels of communication.

Please, respect the original intention of your fellow member of the community that went ahead and made a suggestion for the improvement of the game, and stay on topic.

Any posts that may be deemed off-topic again will be hidden from the thread to protect the normal flow of the initial discussion.

• Upvote 3