10/27/2018 - [VOTE] Politics and War Pumpkin Carving Contest

Alex

Vote For Your Favorite P&W Pumpkin Carvings  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the pumpkin carvings are your favorite(s)? You can vote for as many as you like

• Arch
    • Diego II (wilczkor)
    • Samwise
    • GoldyHammer
    • Robert Taber
    • Clarke

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/18 at 05:00 AM

TKR sucks winning is a bit ridiculous. There are some really impressive pumpkins there that clearly took a lot of work. I rank Samwise first, but the others are very well done too. The TKR sucks one is funny, and I rank it A+ war shitpost - one of my favorites this war considering the RL effort involved -  but I still wouldn't put it first in the contest.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

Well, you've been on both sides, Mikey. It appears the PnW community prefers a shitpost lambasting the latest 5-minutes hate subject over quality work, although I can poke holes in every pumpkin.

I guess no one's going to see Samwise smashing Snorlax!

• Upvote 2

Nice Craved Pumpkin!

I enjoyed to see many craved pumpkins but Arch's.

It is not good looking, Arch. I do have nothing against this; however, you need to think positively during Autumn Fest (Halloween) for honoring others in whatever they are or wherever they are from. They did their best for craved pumpkin as you did this.

I wish you guys who craved pumpkin good luck!

Respectfully,

Rainbow of Color

• Downvote 4

My fault, got a few friends to help out, but we pushed at around -7, instead of the deadline, because I had misread the timing. TKR-sphere was never going to win unless it was a snipe, because if the voting was political, SyndIQ had enough to just flood the vote banks.

It was a valiant effort, however, since Arch won only by 6 votes, despite having a coalition twice TKR's size. Quality of pumpkin has to count for something, at the end of the day.

I'll post full reviews after this is done.

Edited by Inst
  • Upvote 1

Detailed Pumpkin Critique:

Arch's pumpkin is a basic political jape, which at the same time makes fun of the entire pumpkin contest idea. It's primitive, Arch apparently cut himself while making one, and it could have been made by a 5th grader. That said, as performance art, it critiques quite well how political the entire PnW game is, and how much it can just be a popularity contest or a battle of cliques. But... it's not a serious pumpkin and lacks craftsmanship.

wilczkor's version is, to a large extent, finely crafted. The laurel leafs are partial reliefs, but the pumpkin suffers from two problems. First, the P is a hole; the R is a hole in the Arch pumpkin, but it's intentionally crude, whereas wilczkor otherwise shows fine craftsmanship. Use of wires, as seen on the Goldyhammer pumpkin, could have left part of the pumpkin in to produce a proper P. Second, wilczkor's pumpkin suffers from a lack of vision. While there's no composition issues, as with Goldyhammer's pumpkin, it's just a PnW logo; it doesn't really say anything other than it's a contest submission. This is probably why it's the least popular pumpkin.

Samwise's pumpkin is very well-made, with custom stencils for that matter, but it does have a few specific flaws. The eyes and mouth, for instance, are rectangular, when they should be more ovoid. The pumpkin, likewise, seems as though it's a photographic object; i.e, it has one good angle but if the pumpkin were rotated, the composition would fail. The viewer is also given ambiguous focus; i.e, the Snorlax is waving in a different direction from the P&W symbol. I still think that, among the entries, however, it deserved to have won and would have won if the contest had actually been apolitical.

Goldyhammer's pumpkin uses an excellent subject, one of the Knights Radiant glyph, but I think Goldyhammer made a rather regrettable mistake. The pumpkin is too small. The glyph seems to fit the entirety of the pumpkin, to begin with, meaning that the glyph distorts too much with the pumpkin's curvature. Another problem is that the Knights Radiant glyphs have great fineness and delicacy. Obviously, when carving a pumpkin for an amateur contest, there's going to be difficulty getting the glyphs as fine and as precise as you'd need. When working on a small pumpkin, deviations from the plan become quickly evident.

Robert Taber's pumpkin is splendid for its relief carving, but the nostrils ruin everything. We are looking at a four-eyed Buorhann instead of a hippo with nostrils; and it just makes the pumpkin look monstrous. More than any other pumpkin submission, I'd criticize it most for the photography. The image is extremely blurry; the Buorhann pumpkin shot resembles one of Bigfoot.

Clarke's pumpkin is actually rather cute, but there's a rather severe error in the construction. With the lighting chosen, there's a heavy contrast between the inside of the pumpkin and the pumpkin skin itself. This gives the sides of the pumpkin carving a rather pronounced and obvious character, and makes it seem crude. Clarke, were he to do it again, would have benefited by carefully carving the inside of the pumpkin to make the sides less obvious; i.e, there'd be more pumpkin carved out toward the center as opposed to toward the viewing side. Considering it properly, it also suffers from the same problem as Goldyhammer's pumpkin; the carving fills too much of the pumpkin face, and also has a proportional issue between the illustration and the image.

===

A more general critique is that the photography involved isn't as good as it should be. While I know most people just have their cellphone camera available, or even an old point-and-shoot, the noise in many of these photos distract from the pumpkin and its carving itself. One way to reduce the noise is to choose relatively low-ISO, but then use a long-exposure shot with a tripod or timed camera to shoot the pumpkin.

Anyways, I'm a bit sour at the outcome, but love the pumpkin submissions, and wishing everyone better luck next time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Don't give the public a vote and you won't get a pretty amusing outcome.

Some of these must have taken quite some time though - congrats to those that took part/those that won.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

THE Definitive James:

KastorCultist, Co-leading Roz Wei Empyrea The Wei, former TGH warrior, Assassin, and a few more. Player of this game for more time than I want to think about...

infernalsig.png.492fbaaf465234c6d9cf76f12f038d04.png

But that's disrespectful to the pumpkin contest, isn't it? I recall trying to get ---- to vote, who ultimately remained abstaining, but I got a cry of surprise that your TKR sucks shitpumpkin (I doubt you'd be offended by the term) was then tied for first place. Moreover, it just says to the game, don't bother participating in popular vote contests unless you're on the game's dominant side which can pump huge amounts of voting power into an anti-pumpkin that sticks the middle finger into the hate figure du jour.

I'm reluctant to admit it as I want to see Samwise smash Snorlax, but the 1.29% vote difference isn't enough to justify declaring a statistical tie. One possible compromise, given your choice to set up an anti-pumpkin and use your coalition to push it through, is to also come up with moderator or admin's choice picks, since you're more or less proud of subverting this contest. However, then, the Diego II pumpkin or the TKR pumpkin should win those choices, because Snorlax is a complaint against either bad server code or an insufficient cloud tier, the Buorhann pumpkin is just bad (although not as bad as yours), and the Clarke pumpkin is too political.

Edited by Inst
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Inst said:

But that's disrespectful to the pumpkin contest, isn't it? I recall trying to get ---- to vote, who ultimately remained abstaining, but I got a cry of surprise that your TKR sucks shitpumpkin (I doubt you'd be offended by the term) was tied for first place at the time. Moreover, it just says to the game, don't bother participating in popular vote contests unless you're on the game's dominant side which can pump huge amounts of voting power into an anti-pumpkin that sticks the middle finger into the hate figure du jour.

I'm reluctant to admit it as I want to see Samwise smash Snorlax, but the 1.29% vote difference isn't enough to justify declaring a statistical tie. One possible compromise, given your choice to set up an anti-pumpkin and use your coalition to push it through, is to also come up with moderator or admin's choice picks, since you're more or less proud of subverting this contest. However, then, the Diego II pumpkin or the TKR pumpkin should win those choices, because Snorlax is a complaint against either bad server code or an insufficient cloud tier, the Buorhann pumpkin is just bad (although not as bad as yours), and the Clarke pumpkin is too political.

I can see your upset, understandably so. Your vote didnt win and you dont understand my pumpkin. But everything was in the spirit of competition. As i said i am alright with and think there should be a prize increase of second place as Sam did have a good pumpkin.

• Upvote 3

I don't believe I'm qualified right now to properly respond to your riposte, but I do want to make it clear that I respect your entry as performance art and that the vote results are 149 / 22 / 142 / 60 / 28 / 33.

9 minutes ago, Inst said:

I don't believe I'm qualified right now to properly respond to your riposte, but I do want to make it clear that I respect your entry as performance art and that the vote results are 149 / 22 / 142 / 60 / 28 / 33.

It wasn’t meant as an insult and I’m sorry if you took it as one. I do not want to argue. This was all done is the spirit of Halloween and was meant to be a fun activity. But some people do seem upset about the outcome. So i wanted to say what i thought on the matter.

SMH Arch, how dare you mock the sacred institution that is the politics and war pumpkin carving contest! Expect to hear from my lawyers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

1 hour ago, Inst said:

One possible compromise, given your choice to set up an anti-pumpkin and use your coalition to push it through, is to also come up with moderator or admin's choice picks, since you're more or less proud of subverting this contest.

There was no requirements set for the pumpkin competition other than it had to be your pumpkin and it had to be a pumpkin. Arch has won fair and square regardless if you agree with the result or not lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keep the salt coming little girls. It's absolutely satisfying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Codonian said:

There was no requirements set for the pumpkin competition other than it had to be your pumpkin and it had to be a pumpkin. Arch has won fair and square regardless if you agree with the result or not lol

Well, it did have to be P&W related.

In any case, the vote is over, I'll announce the winners shortly.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I’m enjoying the salt, sure the pumpkin was not amazing, but it’s just like Halloween, you see some dumb ass pumpkin while walking down the street and it makes you laugh.

Arch was smart to use the current political climate to his advantage, I think Ultimately that’s what secured his victory. So props to him, as for the other pumpkins great jobs guys, some good lookin stuff there, but for next time remember we’re in a politics and war community where shit posts are favored ?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

0b3897cd640f95254329f7a2d45d8c77b1c120e.

• Jax locked this topic