Allow manual messages to be sent immediately

Kastor

Alright, so having tested this new 3 minute message thing. I'm content to ask that its removed for people sending messages to new members of the game. However, force bots to adhere to the 3 minute rule.

Why? Because, obviously, you can't communicate with a bot, however, new members could communicate with a manual member. It also hurts manual members because of the way bots work in this game. Obviously if a noob responds within the first few minutes(3), and there's an actual person on the receiving end, they're more likely to join that alliance and game. Bots can't respond, but banning them would be bad form, so allowing a grace period for people to actually talk about it would be the best.

This also gives smaller alliances, who more than likely, don't have a bot or the membership to support a bot, a chance to "catch up". 

I'd even be open to moving the 3 minutes to 5-10. This is to push more people to actually recruit themselves and talk/send personal messages that allow more retention.

Feel free to chew this up. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

What is even the point of 3 minutes? Bots gonna bot; if the idea is to prevent a sudden tidal wave of spam then all you're doing is pushing the same spam back a couple minutes. As important as those initial few minutes are, they're more important for convincing players to become invested in the game mechanics and to stay in the game at all. Which in my opinion would be seriously undermined by being smothered in recruitment spam. Circus promoters know: You do NOT allow the hawkers to work anywhere near the ticket booth! I can't imagine anything being less inviting than a hundred amateur salespeople all working you at the same time.

Besides, personal recruitment simply works better. When I joined P&W for the second time, I made a point to actively avoid any alliance that sent me a form message; that or mock them mercilessly, because they all said stuff like "free grants" "cities built" "we protect you" "you need us" "wtf why are you attacking me".

Personal recruitment makes the mark feel they're a cut above the rest, and that's why they deserve to be in your alliance. That's a much better pitch than saying you're willing to tolerate them and coddle them because they're such fragile little useless prats. People don't exactly like that (especially if it's true).

What ever happened to the art of salesmanship? Of conversation? These days its the art of spam, 'cos you catch plenty of suckers with a wide enough net. That's always been true, but now it's automated and therefore so much more effective and so much worse.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Kastor said:

Alright, so having tested this new 3 minute message thing. I'm content to ask that its removed for people sending messages to new members of the game. However, force bots to adhere to the 3 minute rule.

Why? Because, obviously, you can't communicate with a bot, however, new members could communicate with a manual member. It also hurts manual members because of the way bots work in this game. Obviously if a noob responds within the first few minutes(3), and there's an actual person on the receiving end, they're more likely to join that alliance and game. Bots can't respond, but banning them would be bad form, so allowing a grace period for people to actually talk about it would be the best.

This also gives smaller alliances, who more than likely, don't have a bot or the membership to support a bot, a chance to "catch up". 

I'd even be open to moving the 3 minutes to 5-10. This is to push more people to actually recruit themselves and talk/send personal messages that allow more retention.

Feel free to chew this up. 

Whenever you utilize a bot it still uses an account so it's not fair to say they can't reply to messages cause they are still able too regardless if a bot is automated.  Sure, there's a possibility some bots can respond with automated responses outside the initial message but I would bet a lot don't have that because it's just not really genuine responses to whatever the new guy/gal sent back.  Even if there is an automated response to people in that context, I would doubt most people would join cause they can tell it's not a person replying so that alliance is just doing itself more harm in possible losses so why not just allow it and allow others to expand upon it.  

Smaller alliances aka micros generally shouldn't be created unless the leader has ample days in the game.  A lot of games do similar for making a "clan" in MMORPGs, it's pretty mind boggling there's no standard here as well.  It's a safe guard to ensure people know what they are doing in the game (more than a typical noob) and we aren't having a cluster of alliances that don't add long term players cause they are too busy joining useless alliances utilizing failed policies that results in needless deletions.

I get your point, you want to be valued for doing recruiting on your own w/o bot influence but I don't think people should be nerfed for utilizing a different system.  It's up to you to make sure the message tailors to the individual and contrasts from the bot messages.  Each system has its own pros/cons.

• Upvote 1

gog-forum-size-regs.png

50 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Whenever you utilize a bot it still uses an account so it's not fair to say they can't reply to messages cause they are still able too regardless if a bot is automated.  Sure, there's a possibility some bots can respond with automated responses outside the initial message but I would bet a lot don't have that because it's just not really genuine responses to whatever the new guy/gal sent back.  Even if there is an automated response to people in that context, I would doubt most people would join cause they can tell it's not a person replying so that alliance is just doing itself more harm in possible losses so why not just allow it and allow others to expand upon it.  

Smaller alliances aka micros generally shouldn't be created unless the leader has ample days in the game.  A lot of games do similar for making a "clan" in MMORPGs, it's pretty mind boggling there's no standard here as well.  It's a safe guard to ensure people know what they are doing in the game (more than a typical noob) and we aren't having a cluster of alliances that don't add long term players cause they are too busy joining useless alliances utilizing failed policies that results in needless deletions.

I get your point, you want to be valued for doing recruiting on your own w/o bot influence but I don't think people should be nerfed for utilizing a different system.  It's up to you to make sure the message tailors to the individual and contrasts from the bot messages.  Each system has its own pros/cons.

I agree with that.

Most bots I've encountered were sent from the named nation - easy to reply to.

Just don't recruit.