Politics and War Review...thingy

Creed

25 minutes ago, Creed Mallory said:

I recently made a podcast episode for Politics and War and you all should listen to it. It's mostly my experience on the game and my thoughts on it. Hope ya'll like it. 

Mama_snake_bird.jpg

I also heard you have a lot of missiles.

Edited by Prefonteen
  • Upvote 1

os9LcJK.gif

I like the motivation to do something like this, but that first minute was so cringe I had turn it off for a while and then come back and skip that... And like the last 2 minutes.. Also, missiles aren't powerful. 

I sucked when I started doing radio shows for these kinds of games, don't take my criticisms as more than just that. I'm blunt and would rather see you get better. 

Edited by Prefontaine
  • Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

1 hour ago, Buorhann said:

>Missiles aren’t powerful

u wot m8?

Quite a few players neglect building Iron Dome project.  Opening them up for missile spam.

NyI77qR.png

I've launched and taken a few, and have an Iron dome. They're extremely situational, can be useful in low tiers though that project slot is much more coveted there. They're another thing besides throwing a nuke a day on your way down. 

If they blew up more improvements, hell if ANYTHING blew up more improvements, that'd be nice.

scSqPGJ.gif

Unlike a Nuke, they allow you to target certain Improvements.

As for eliminating Improvements:

Missiles specifically target an area, removes 1 guaranteed if successful.

Nukes do 2 random, but can destroy a PP.

Tactician increases chances of Imp removal for Ground and Naval.

If opponent is on Pirate, Ground and Naval against them also has improved chances.

Tactician on a Pirate also drastically increases the chances.

If an opponent doesn’t have a Iron Dome (which is VERY likely in today’s game), Missiles become the most viable and cheap way of doing damage/Imp Removal.

The only thing better is 1 Ship Tactician Raids on a Pirate user.

With all of this, it’s hard to balance Improvement removal without making it broken.

Edited by Buorhann
  • Like 1

DID SOMEBODY SAY MISSILES

11 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Unlike a Nuke, they allow you to target certain Improvements.

As for eliminating Improvements:

Missiles specifically target an area, removes 1 guaranteed if successful.

Nukes do 2 random, but can destroy a PP.

Tactician increases chances of Imp removal for Ground and Naval.

If opponent is on Pirate, Ground and Naval against them also has improved chances.

Tactician on a Pirate also drastically increases the chances.

If an opponent doesn’t have a Iron Dome (which is VERY likely in today’s game), Missiles become the most viable and cheap way of doing damage/Imp Removal.

The only thing better is 1 Ship Tactician Raids on a Pirate user.

With all of this, it’s hard to balance Improvement removal without making it broken.

Here I was about to make these points but you beat me to it lmao, thanks for covering for me ❤️

That said, I do have to defend missiles on another level: ID is 50% effective against missiles, therefore we have to consider that each missile launched against ID is statistically 50% effective. Each missile costs around ~$850,000 net, give or take a lot based on resource prices at any given time (and higher during large-scale war for obvious reasons), so in order for a missile to be worth the launch as opposed to saving it for a better situation we simply need to expect at least ~$850,000 damage against the target.

During an Attrition war type, against ID, a missile should be targetted against at least 1500 infra and a civil improvement, or 1700 infra otherwise in order to statistically break even on net damage; the last thing you want to do is do more damage to yourself than the enemy ofc. (The few times I've done this the missile landed anyway.)

The defender in a raid or either side in an ordinary, against no ID, should target the missile at the same, since in that case the missile is 50% effective outright, no RNG about it. Since 1500 infra is a very common build at the mid tiers, and ID isn't used much at all, this is where a lot of missiles are used to solid effect.

The defender in a raid or either side in an ordinary against an ID, or the aggressor in a raid against no ID, shouldn't use missiles unless they truly have no other option and would otherwise be wasting MAPs. And the aggressor in a raid against ID... might as well use spies. But even then, there's still that small chance of sneaking a hit against a civil improvement, and nailing a subway does all the damage you need to break even on the cost of the missile. And if you hit a factory when they're at full tank capacity, that's a good 250 steel down the tubes for them, a huge loss relative to the missile's cost.

More importantly though, missiles that land cause 18 resistance damage. That's not a small amount, even if it costs 8 action points and therefore is inefficient compared to immense triumphs with conventional forces. What matters is that missiles always do that damage without RNG (except against ID), no matter how huge the enemies' conventional armies are. Focusing missile strikes where you otherwise have no options can get you out of a pin, since they have to beige you lest they take an embarrassing and avoidable beige themselves. With that in mind, while it is a situational benefit, the situation is an extremely common and devastating one that otherwise has no counter. But missiles give you the counterplay options to maintain a guerilla war indefinitely even when the conventional war is lost, since a production build in SA can produce a missile every day forever, blockade or not. (Granted that's a jank build that's bad economically, but frick u I do what I like)

Nukes actually work almost exactly the same way, but IMO it is worth having both if you're planning on fighting your way out of a dogpile. Still, missiles are much more practical in a lot of ways, as in order to get the full benefit of nukes you have to launch against at least 2000 infra... which is enough infra for missiles to work in even more situations. Also, missiles can be bought off the login bonus, while nukes require a fair bit of cash which is a lot harder to come by in a long term guerilla war.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, Creed Mallory said:

I recently made a podcast episode for Politics and War and you all should listen to it. It's mostly my experience on the game and my thoughts on it. Hope ya'll like it. 

I enjoyed the podcast :D I suggest you start a discord server and do podcasts with other players, I'd certainly watch that.

Edited by Radoje
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Radoje said:

I enjoyed the podcast :D I suggest you start a discord server and do podcasts with other players, I'd certainly watch that.

Thank you! That sounds like a good idea, but then I'd have to keep it like PG-13 since it's a school thing. Plus I talk about other games as well so there'd be a LOT of people

8 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Scarf, don't forget, once you buy a nuke or a missile, or maintain a large stockpile of them, they become a sunk cost, so that even if you use them on sub optimal infra levels, its still better than not using them, and/or having them spied away.

You can also decommission them to recover part of the resources, but you're basically right. I always say that unless you're going to go full @Fraggle and stockpile a preposterous number of missiles/nukes at the cost of ever having monetary revenue or conventional military whatsoever, stockpile only a very few strategic weapons and instead build them on demand.

Thing is though, even if you get declared on by carefully groomed low infra nations, you can just turn around and declare attrition wars of your own against their allies who may be better targets.

8 hours ago, Jan Orwell said:

I am really surprised how easily can a topic about podcast change to a topic about missiles... 

To be fair, he did mention missiles in his podcast, that automatically results in a scarfpost :P

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

On 9/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, Buorhann said:

>Missiles aren’t powerful

u wot m8?

Quite a few players neglect building Iron Dome project.  Opening them up for missile spam.

I want to destroy my Iron Dome to get hit more

I don't know how it works in other alliances but being the nation with more missiles/nukes eaten during a war is a serious business for some of us

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Micchan said:

I want to destroy my Iron Dome to get hit more

I don't know how it works in other alliances but being the nation with more missiles/nukes eaten during a war is a serious business for some of us

https://politicsandwar.com/leaderboards/kilnuk

Some day...

stares wistfully into the distance

Dec 26 18:48:22 <JacobH[Arrgh]>    God your worse the grealind >.>

On 9/4/2018 at 2:49 PM, Prefontaine said:

I like the motivation to do something like this, but that first minute was so cringe I had turn it off for a while and then come back and skip that... And like the last 2 minutes.. Also, missiles aren't powerful. 

I sucked when I started doing radio shows for these kinds of games, don't take my criticisms as more than just that. I'm blunt and would rather see you get better. 

You can call it cringe ?‍♀️ I call it energy that's needed. Plus it might be just you cause everyone else that's come to me has said they liked it