Upper Tier Alliances

Placentica

It seems like PW has gotten even more segmented between lower tiered alliances and upper tier ones.  My question is what would you list as an upper tier alliance or those with a large upper tier?

My current list would be:

The Knights Radiant
The Commonwealth
Guardian
Pantheon (even though they have low avg. str, they still have a large upper)
Rose
Church of Spaceology
The Syndicate
Grumpy Old Bastards
Terminus Est
The Coalition

Maybe Fark and CoA?

What is your list?

(additions:  KT, TGH, Tesla, SK, Fark, CoA)

Edited by Placentica
Adding those mentioned
  • Upvote 1

I would disagree with your assessment of listing TKR as an upper tier alliance, considering we recruit on a daily basis and a large chunk of our membership is significantly distanced from any range which could be reasonably labeled as the upper one.

It's not so much what is my list, but what do you define as the alliances with the largest "upper tier".  I'm curious what the community thinks and defines it as.

So while Pantheon, TKR has lots of mids/lowers, they also have a pretty large upper, imo (or please disagree and explain).  I also think it's relevant to include upper tier only alliances like The Coalition.

KT might be one I missed, thank you Furpk.

Edited by Placentica

Just give us a clear definition of what you define as upper tier.  Is it a city count?  Membership count?

Speaking of, what's the average city tier count now?  @Sketchy

(Cut off 5 city nations and lower)

• Upvote 1

Well, the way I've been thinking of it is that there's one alliance that really defines a tier: NPO. Their uniform build (which I despise, but that's not immediately relevant) means that everyone else can be meaningfully split into three distinct categories: within their war range, above their war range, or below their war range. Therefore, I've always been thinking of 'lower tier' as those that NPO cannot attack without deep downdeclares, 'mid tier' as anyone that NPO can attack without change to their build, and 'upper tier' as those that NPO cannot even updeclare against.

That's just the way I've been thinking about it. Everyone else is free to define the terms in their own way.

Edit: I've been using the term 'tier' to describe score range, not alliance quality. There's really no way to put honest numbers on alliance quality outside of war stats, so any description of such would be extremely subjective.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

13 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Just give us a clear definition of what you define as upper tier.  Is it a city count?  Membership count?

Speaking of, what's the average city tier count now?  @Sketchy

(Cut off 5 city nations and lower)

Not trying to be vague, but it's more important in my mind what other people think is an upper tier alliance.  Just to answer you though, it's a combo of avg. city count x number of nations. Not sure I'd say a 1-nation alliance with someone at 25 cities is an upper tier alliance, but tC is all upper tier and large enough imo, I probably would include them if they were 4 nations.  And TKR being that they have a lot of nations of 20+ cities I'd say would qualify as well.  Again, just my subjective take, I'm curious how others define that. Loosely thinking 20 cities is upper tier, 25 is whale tier.

I guess it would be a matter of definition, because although we have a sizeable amount of players in the 18+ range, traditionally "upper tier alliance" has been defined as an alliance that consisted of only players in that range, whereas we have a significant amount below that.

1 minute ago, Lordship said:

I guess it would be a matter of definition, because although we have a sizeable amount of players in the 18+ range, traditionally "upper tier alliance" has been defined as an alliance that consisted of only players in that range, whereas we have a significant amount below that.

I'd argue people have used it to apply to alliances with a high quantity of upper tier, but either way the term doesn't matter much. What matters is how many upper tier people you have vs how many others have, not the percentage of your alliance that exists in that tier.

Putting alliances into boxes based on their tier is how people have used false descriptors to push various sorts of false arguments about tiering in the past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

XLL3z4T.gif

2 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

I'd argue people have used it to apply to alliances with a high quantity of upper tier, but either way the term doesn't matter much. What matters is how many upper tier people you have vs how many others have, not the percentage of your alliance that exists in that tier. 

Putting alliances into boxes based on their tier is how people have used false descriptors to push various sorts of false arguments about tiering in the past. 

We're in agreement there

40 minutes ago, Lordship said:

I agree, I think that TKR has good blending of their tiers, but are not necessarily a high tier alliance unlike GoB, TEst, CoS, etc...

• Upvote 1
I have no idea what I'm doing but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

pfp_maybe_1_15.jpg

45 minutes ago, Cianuro said:

I agree, I think that TKR has good blending of their tiers, but are not necessarily a high tier alliance unlike GoB, TEst, CoS, etc...

And yet they have more than most others combined.

10 hours ago, Derperor Derp Derp said:

Large: Anybody who can outright destroy DB in a one to one fight

Small: Everyone else

So anyone with decent fighting experience

10 hours ago, Placentica said:

It seems like PW has gotten even more segmented between lower tiered alliances and upper tier ones.  My question is what would you list as an upper tier alliance or those with a large upper tier?

My current list would be:

The Knights Radiant
The Commonwealth
Guardian
Pantheon (even though they have low avg. str, they still have a large upper)
Rose
Church of Spaceology
The Syndicate
Grumpy Old Bastards
Terminus Est
The Coalition

Maybe Fark and CoA?

What is your list?

(additions:  KT, TGH, Tesla, SK, Fark, CoA)

Where's BC on that list

Edited by Lucifer Morningstar

1 minute ago, Kastor said:

TKR is trying so hard to not be seen as the upper tier juggernaut they are, and have been for awhile. 

Anyone with half a brain and some basic math can see the number of people we have in the alliance lol, no one is trying to "not be seen" as anything, merely disagreeing with the proposition based on history and context.

5 minutes ago, Lordship said:

Anyone with half a brain and some basic math can see the number of people we have in the alliance lol, no one is trying to "not be seen" as anything, merely disagreeing with the proposition based on history and context.

It’s amazing people always try to discredit me by, what I believe, insinuating I don’t have intelligence.

Your average city count is 15. The upper tier is around 18-19. You have 49 nations at 18+.

The Commonwealth has 39. Guardian has 31.

So would you say that TCW and Guardian are upper tier alliances or mid tier? 

Also, before you ask, TCW is split closer to 50/50, with 55% being above 18 cities while Guardian has 62% above. TKR has 35% above, but the most 18+ cities in the game. So who is upper tier and who isn’t, Lordship?

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

1 minute ago, Kastor said:

It’s amazing people always try to discredit me by, what I believe, insinuating I don’t have intelligence. 

Your average city count is 15. The upper tier is around 18-19. You have 49 nations at 18+.

Also, before you ask, TCW is split closer to 50/50, with 55% being above 18 cities while Guardian has 62% above. TKR has 35% above, but the most 18+ cities in the game. So who is upper tier and who isn’t, Lordship? 

"It’s amazing people always try to discredit me by, what I believe, insinuating I don’t have intelligence. " - If you read my reply as trying to insinuate that you aren't intelligent, then you're doing this on your own lol. I was just saying how its easy to check the numbers. You're not a victim

I'd say they are upper tier alliances because the majority of their membership is in that range, which is consistent with what I said above.

12 minutes ago, Kastor said:

TKR has 38% of upper tier nations therefore TKR is an upper tier alliance

Humans and bananas have 60% of DNA in common therefore bananas are primates

8d6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1