The largest upset in orbis history? You won’t believe what happened. Number 7 will shock you! Clickbaityclickbait

Prefontaine

1 hour ago, Prefontaine said:

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/war/timeline/war=324676

I'm honestly curious, is this the largest city difference on an actual victory for the little guy where legit fighting happened and both people were going for beige? Not some loot run or anything. 

11 cities vs 23 cities. 

Nope. When the Nuke Bloc war ended without my knowing it would, i was fighting a 22 city nation, a 23, and a 17, who all started re militarizing instantly. The 17 accepted peace, leaving me to fight the other two, whose only opponents were me, seeing as how everybody else seemed to get word of this coming.

I lost to the 22 city, but beiged the 23, though only barely (on both accounts). I was 7 cities myself at the time.

Edited by Lairah
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lairah said:

Nope. When the Nuke Bloc war ended without my knowing it would, i was fighting a 22 city nation, a 23, and a 17, who all started re militarizing instantly. The 17 accepted peace, leaving me to fight the other two, whose only opponents were me, seeing as how everybody else seemed to get word of this coming.

I lost to the 22 city, but beiged the 23, though only barely (on both accounts). I was 7 cities myself at the time.

Nice. Was curious if there was a bigger gap. Grats :D

scSqPGJ.gif

3 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

Nice. Was curious if there was a bigger gap. Grats :D

I did have a headstart, to be fair. Like my other wars then, it started as a raid of high tiers who'd been beaten down.

This wasn't any consolation to me at the time who only won one of those wars because the other guy had poor timing.

Though to be fair, the guy who won his also had poor timing. Hi, @Placentica. If only more than one of you had blockaded me, i wouldn't have been able to stash it in my alliance bank.
Why'd you go to perma VM anyway? Is it because you almost lost a 15 city updeclare? :P 
He would've won faster if he did something other than slap me around with 400k soldiers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Those wars had expired. It was a 1v1

If the big nation is ZM and the smaller nation is at full military there's not so much you can do if you are the bigger nation (assuming activity), a double buy is not enough to overcome the gap and remove air and ground control

58 minutes ago, Micchan said:

If the big nation is ZM and the smaller nation is at full military there's not so much you can do if you are the bigger nation (assuming activity), a double buy is not enough to overcome the gap and remove air and ground control

Yeah, there's that. Except he could have nuked or missiled me into submission. I mean... he promised to nuke me and didn't deliver.

• Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

2 hours ago, Micchan said:

Double buy ships and smash through his smaller navy. The resistance cut from IMs and the rate is the fastest.

Plus small nations rarely have a big navy, too expensive.

4 hours ago, Micchan said:

That entirely depends how you play it out.  Ground control can be relatively easy to remove, due to the growth of Soldiers.

Air Control can be tricky to remove though.

You can also go after the Navy like Shifty stated.

I'm not exactly sure how small the nations were that fought and beiged Apeman with his 30 cities towards the end of SALT. But then again you're basically talking about a serious fight and Apeman just nuked everyone twice before he got beiged so I guess that doesn't really count.

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Micchan said:

It depends on how much bigger the big nation is. Say someone with 2 cities and a crazy level of infra and military declared war on someone that's heavily damaged but has 12 cities. In that case, a simple double-buy of soldiers and aircraft can break ground control even through tanks and easily take air superiority even compared to the maximum aircraft available to the 2 city nation (180 aircraft vs 216 aircraft from a doublebuy). Whereas someone with 12 cities and full military versus someone with 22 cities and heavy damage would be much more difficult for the 22 city nation to recover from, despite the city counts being exactly 10 off in each case (1080 aircraft vs 396 from a doublebuy).

As for navy, it's pretty similar, but a lot of people do indeed tend to forego navy and when they do, that is a critical weakness in their build which can and should be exploited, obviously.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lairah said:

who was it? i want them burned at the stake. 

STFU

1 hour ago, rollo said:

who was it? i want them burned at the stake. 

I forget their name, I do remember the 22 city nation was Placentica though. Both were in Alpha.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Lairah said:

I forget their name, I do remember the 22 city nation was Placentica though. Both were in Alpha.

Bummer. No chance we'll find the scoundrel now with Alpha having disappeared like a fart in the wind. 

STFU

On 7/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, Dwynn said:

Yeah, there's that. Except he could have nuked or missiled me into submission. I mean... he promised to nuke me and didn't deliver.

You can nuke once per day so you need 4 days to beige with nukes, at that point the war is already lost

On 7/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, ħ̧i̧₣ɫ̵γ͘ ̶™??? said:

Double buy ships and smash through his smaller navy. The resistance cut from IMs and the rate is the fastest.

Plus small nations rarely have a big navy, too expensive.

First we have to say that beige is different from winning the war

Second you have to remember that your evemy can destroy your ships with planes so you need a bit to reach a point where your enemy has a low ships count, probably he can beige you faster, not impossible but not so easy, depends also on activity and some lucky

"Navy too expensive" should not exist in alliance wars, you are supposed to have enough to buy max military, if not your alliance bank exist for that

On 7/13/2018 at 11:52 PM, Buorhann said:

That entirely depends how you play it out.  Ground control can be relatively easy to remove, due to the growth of Soldiers.

Air Control can be tricky to remove though.

You can also go after the Navy like Shifty stated.

The problem is always how much time you need to reach a point where you can put a streak of IT, not impossible but not so easy, I'm not surprised by this kind of upset

And the other two open slots are always the biggest problem because if you can put one in trouble they can always put another nation on you and destroy all your work

On 7/13/2018 at 6:16 AM, Prefontaine said:

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/war/timeline/war=324676

I'm honestly curious, is this the largest city difference on an actual victory for the little guy where legit fighting happened and both people were going for beige? Not some loot run or anything. 

11 cities vs 23 cities. 

So you are just wrong. As usual.

Grata was not going for beige. He was doing max damage down to a min. pts level he could. He'd have easily stopped the ground attacks with one double buy, as he had access to as much resources as he wanted which he could since he wasn't doing the blockading. While we were doing our spy-attack wave, he saw an opening and couldn't take any real high cost dmg at that point, so he did a bit of damage while doing spy attacks on your lower tier.

lol TEst, Alex forbid someone use a deliberately misleading DoW. That never happens, right?

It was not technically a 1v1.  There was some overlap in the wars, so Grataz had to keep zero mil until they finished. 

But we did this in the NB-war where you could declare 1 war and have the nations forget you declared or pixel hug (like TEst did here) and beige you. They were stupid to beige Grata when Grata wasn't anywhere near winning their war, but they didn't want to take another nuke or forgot/didn't check. So they beiged him, leaving Duskorn high and dry. Forunately for TEst, we weren't interested in beiging anyone currently.

Edited by R Johnson
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, R Johnson said:

Grata was not going for beige. He was doing max damage down to a min. pts level he could. He'd have easily stopped the ground attacks with one double buy, as he had access to as much resources as he wanted which he could since he wasn't doing the blockading. While we were doing our spy-attack wave, he saw an opening and couldn't take any real high cost dmg at that point, so he did a bit of damage while doing spy attacks on your lower tier.

lol TEst, Alex forbid someone use a deliberately misleading DoW. That never happens, right?

It was not technically a 1v1.  There was some overlap in the wars, so Grataz had to keep zero mil until they finished. 

But we did this in the NB-war where you could declare 1 war and have the nations forget you declared or pixel hug (like TEst did here) and beige you. They were stupid to beige Grata when Grata wasn't anywhere near winning their war, but they didn't want to take another nuke or forgot/didn't check. So they beiged him, leaving Duskorn high and dry. Forunately for TEst, we weren't interested in beiging anyone currently.

One war overlapped by 2 hours. Your guy delcared by coming out of beige he could have easily waited for the new day update and double bought properly. If he wanted to do max damage he would have beiged to hit all cities with bonus infra damage not mentioning nation loot. 

So your goal was actually to intentionally NOT do as much damage by losing. Your nation closest to leaving Beige goes into 60ish days of VM. We sit here asking you for this mutual destruction you’ve been ranting about, but the only assault has been on logic and reason. Keep calling us pixel huggers, maybe one day it’ll make it true. 

Edited by Prefontaine
  • Upvote 2

scSqPGJ.gif

6 hours ago, R Johnson said:

Alright, this attempt at damage control so wrong on so many levels, I simply have to call it out.

Grata was not going for beige. He was doing max damage down to a min. pts level he could.

Fine, fine. Beige is in and of itself neither victory nor defeat; damage is what matters. Since that was what Grata was going for, we should consider everything about the war on that basis. Which leads us into the next statement...

He'd have easily stopped the ground attacks with one double buy, as he had access to as much resources as he wanted which he could since he wasn't doing the blockading.

Then why didn't he? Duskhorn was doing reasonable damage relative to the resources he was expending per ground attack, and looting a bit of change in the process. Each attack was a victory for TEst and a loss for SA. Minimal perhaps compared to the scale of the conflict as a whole, but we're considering just this war and on the basis of net damage, since that's what you say Grata was aiming for.

While we were doing our spy-attack wave, he saw an opening and couldn't take any real high cost dmg at that point, so he did a bit of damage while doing spy attacks on your lower tier.

If there was an opening, then why didn't he take advantage of it? Grata declared the war, and 10 minutes later lost a naval battle. It took him 12 hours to take his first action of the war, which was 3 naval battle triumphs of his own in rapid succession. Which, as I'm sure you know, costs the same number of action points as it takes to launch a nuke....

Which, apparently, was never the intention? Even assuming that the war declaration reason was a ruse, a ruse to what purpose? Why get someone to think you'll nuke them? It's already implicit in fighting nuke bloc imo, but then again people still get surprised by my missiles, so maybe a bit less subtlety is called for sometimes.

But, Grataz was the aggressor. Why would he go in unprepared, or at least buy military promptly once he had the opportunity? You said earlier that he could have stopped the ground battles at any time with a doublebuy, yet he didn't.

But we did this in the NB-war where you could declare 1 war and have the nations forget you declared or pixel hug (like TEst did here) and beige you.

I mean, sometimes people do somehow forget that you declared, or something like that. The almighty sheep knows I've fought opponents that have done dippier things. However, winning wars isn't pixel hugging, unless you've got blockade and are cooperating with your alliance to perform a pinning maneuver. Then, beiging and thus screwing up the plan is pixel hugging, and basically treason. Since Duskhorn did not have blockade (and was in fact blockaded, as you've mentioned), had no alliance objectives to consider, and was taking over 300 infrastructure damage per naval battle, he had exactly no reason not to beige. Maximizing outgoing damage is skill, minimizing incoming damage is sanity, and winning when you don't have the upper hand is excellent play. That's not pixel hugging, that's fighting properly.

7 hours ago, R Johnson said:

They were stupid to beige Grata when Grata wasn't anywhere near winning their war, but they didn't want to take another nuke or forgot/didn't check.

Why though? Like I said above, Duskhorn had every reason to beige and no reason to not. Besides, he hadn't taken a nuke, just as planned, so what's up with the word "another"? And lastly, the war ended with Duskhorn having 2 resistance left, so get on out of here with that "wasn't anywhere near winning" nonsense.

7 hours ago, R Johnson said:

So they beiged him, leaving Duskorn high and dry. Forunately for TEst, we weren't interested in beiging anyone currently.

Yes, Duskorn beiged Grataz, and thus A. did more damage; B. stopped his incoming damage; C. looted a bit of stuff; D. prevented Grataz from looting stuff, and E. earned salt and enabled Pre to make this thread for the forum battle. So, yeah, it is fortunate for TEst that your tactics are lowering your damage and increasing theirs. Good job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/16/2018 at 2:00 AM, Micchan said:

Second you have to remember that your evemy can destroy your ships with planes so you need a bit to reach a point where your enemy has a low ships count, probably he can beige you faster, not impossible but not so easy, depends also on activity and some lucky

"Navy too expensive" should not exist in alliance wars, you are supposed to have enough to buy max military, if not your alliance bank exist for that

The problem is always how much time you need to reach a point where you can put a streak of IT, not impossible but not so easy, I'm not surprised by this kind of upset

And the other two open slots are always the biggest problem because if you can put one in trouble they can always put another nation on you and destroy all your work

I just beiged Kyubyan by using just ships and collecting MAPs and then building up randomly in between attacks.

You just gotta figure out when your opponents login and act like you're completely dead.