In game stock market idea

Vatican

I have the idea that an in game system similar to the stock market would be a great addition to the game. A system where you can invest in all sorts of things such as alliances,resources, etc...

Obviously I don't much of an idea on how this system would be implemented but I have the idea it could add more players and keep newer nations interested and logging in daily.

2 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

so you have an idea, but you have no idea how it would work?

Its not much of an idea is it?

I mostly just wanted to put it out there but I have thought of some ways to implement this. I was thinking that we could invest in micro alliances by buying shares of the alliance. If the micro grows the shares will increase in value but decrease if they take a hit. This could create income for micros through the money from the shares sold. and encourage people to actively scout smaller alliances for the ones with the most potential to grow and in turn try to profit off of them.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, Vatican said:

I mostly just wanted to put it out there but I have thought of some ways to implement this. I was thinking that we could invest in micro alliances by buying shares of the alliance. If the micro grows the shares will increase in value but decrease if they take a hit. This could create income for micros through the money from the shares sold. and encourage people to actively scout smaller alliances for the ones with the most potential to grow and in turn try to profit off of them.

There's nothing stopping you from just doing this. Buy shares in your pet micro's bank, and then trade part ownership of micros around; it's as enforceable and workable as any other 'player bank' ever was, really.

I'm not kidding; if there's players that already seriously trade non-concrete goods like bank credit and debt, then the framework for a player-run system like this is already there.

Good luck getting micros that are sincerely willing to sell partial ownership of themselves though. Or enforcing collections if you want to cash in on your shares, for that matter.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

There's nothing stopping you from just doing this. Buy shares in your pet micro's bank, and then trade part ownership of micros around; it's as enforceable and workable as any other 'player bank' ever was, really.

I'm not kidding; if there's players that already seriously trade non-concrete goods like bank credit and debt, then the framework for a player-run system like this is already there.

Good luck getting micros that are sincerely willing to sell partial ownership of themselves though. Or enforcing collections if you want to cash in on your shares, for that matter.

This is slightly what we do in TI - I mean, maybe not like in the terms of rise and fall, other than where we tie in the current trade market. But if you get a bunch of people willing to invest into resources and more, you can effectively create your own little market of sorts. 

To the OP - I don't really know how to really tie into a stock type market. Unless nations/alliances were able to create a company front and maybe develop a way for people to invest into those companies.......tbh idk, prob to risky for the coding and stuff idk. Sorry I suck at this. 

Just invest with TI, i'll get you cash.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mad Max said:

This is slightly what we do in TI - I mean, maybe not like in the terms of rise and fall, other than where we tie in the current trade market. But if you get a bunch of people willing to invest into resources and more, you can effectively create your own little market of sorts. 

To the OP - I don't really know how to really tie into a stock type market. Unless nations/alliances were able to create a company front and maybe develop a way for people to invest into those companies.......tbh idk, prob to risky for the coding and stuff idk. Sorry I suck at this. 

Just invest with TI, i'll get you cash.

How would an investment be

4 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Yeah I just don't know how to make collections enforcable without a system especially with how poorly run most micros are

PnW should just move into civilian economics.

Everything doesn't have to be about military conquest.

If Civilization can have science, culture, and diplomatic victories, so can PnW.

Before reading any further, understand this is a game. Some of the suggestions might seem rigid, but this isn't meant to perfectly represent the real world. It's accommodating the simplicity players would look for.

Players could invest in companies that give countries a tech edge - bonus to unit performance, happiness edge - bonus to income, and relations edge - reduced delay to act after declaring war.

The edges previously listed are up for discussion. My suggestion is to say a country can have up to 4 edges per category. The first edge would be +4%, the second +3%, the third +2%, and the fourth +1% for unit performance and income bonus, maximizing at +10%.

For reduced delay, my suggestion is the game changes so you can only attack someone 24 hours after declaring war. This prevents the autistic click spamming that kills people in their sleep which war is sorely broken by. 

The relation edges would grant -2 hours each for attacking someone, reducing the delay to 16 hours when maximized.

Companies could* serve one nation per $10m invested in them. For example, if an alliance has $1b to spare, it could invest $1b into the company to serve 100 countries. Companies could also be headquartered in either nations or alliances. However, a nation could only host one company, and an alliance could only host one company of each type. National companies could also not serve their own nation, nor could they serve a nation headquartering a company serving their nation. This prevents gaming the system. The game could also provide an index of companies sorted by service amount, service price, saved earnings, and stock price.

Nations would pay the price offered by the company where they pay a certain amount per week of service. This price could change into the future, and nations could lock in discounted contracts paid in advance for long-term pricing up to 3 months. Companies may not engage in selective pricing however. They many only offer one price and discounted contract schedule publicly to all nations at any time outside of embargoes. Discounted contract schedules must be available for 72 hours so anyone can lock them in.

Stockholders could sell their stock at anytime to withdraw a share of the company's holdings. For example, if a company had $100m invested in it and $100m was earned by the company's service, a shareholder who invested $10m could sell one's stock for $20m, withdrawing $10m from the company's treasury. The founder of the company could choose the initial investment, and stockholders could vote on how much future stock could be issued. 

Stockholders could also vote to reinvest their earnings into the company. For example, a founder might start a company with $10m. When it reaches $10m in earnings, the founder could vote alone to reinvest that $10m directly to have $20m invested in the company.

Eventually, the company could have $30m invested, but the founder wants to grow faster, so $20m in stock is issued. The company then earns $50m, so the founder votes again to reinvest. With a majority of ownership, the vote passes by default. Now, the founder has $60m invested and fellow investors have $40m. The founder might want to grow even faster though, so the founder issues another $50m in stock.

At this point, the founder no longer has a default majority, so say the company has another $50m in the future and the founder wants to reinvest the earnings. The founder would have to put it up for a vote. If it passes, the founder would get another $20m in stock since he has 40% of the $150m currently outstanding. If it fails, the earnings would be liquidated among all current stockholders to do with as they see fit.

If the founder wants to issue more stock, a vote would be cast again. If the vote passes, more stock would be issued. If it fails, the company would be liquidated where every stockholder gets their stock and earnings percent compensated. In this case, the founder would get $80m in cash altogether. To prevent small stockholders from trolling others, only those stockholders who own the same or more than the founder may initiate votes to reinvest earnings or issue stock.

If a company liquidates, those nations being served continue to receive service until the term expires.This includes discounted contracts.

Stockholders could also sell their stock on the open market. This is helpful for players who want to invest in companies that don't issue anymore stock as well as players who own stock in companies that don't want to liquidate. 

The expected market price per share, therefore, should be based around $10m + saved earnings/service amount. This will also be influenced by expected future earnings on the service price.

*However, there's one more part to expected future earnings which deals with why "could" was underlined before - competition investment.

Companies with higher product quality will provide double the edges previously described. That means unit performance and income bonuses go from 10% to 20% and declaration is delayed only 8 hours instead of 16 hours. Companies will be sorted uniformly by percentile such that the bottom 1% provides a regular edge while the top 1% percent provides double the edge.

To determine product quality, a company will have a slider where it chooses how much of its investment to dedicate towards service slots versus product quality. Note that this investment never gets consumed. If a company liquidates, all of its investment is liquidated to investors. The game wouldn't account for labor, overhead, materials, licenses, and other depreciating and depleting expenses. This prevents players from worrying about investing in competitive product quality just to have a hostile takeover sabotage their investment in vain by liquidating the company.

Slider adjustments would be voted upon by stockholders just like when a company liquidates earnings or issues more stock. Again, only players with the same or more stock than the founder may initiate these votes...

...so in sum...

...if you want to make money investing in stock...

...found companies that give other nations edges, found companies that give your alliance's nations edges, offer discounted contract schedules for advance payments that you can reinvest into your company, issue stock to attract investors so your company can serve more nations, liquidate earnings by failing reinvestment and issuance votes, purchase stock from other players to get access to other companies' earnings, and invest in competitive product quality so other nations are willing to pay higher service prices to your company!

Edited by Dubayoo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Jeez... you people are jerks.

It's no wonder this game sucks so much.

People come up with good ideas, and you just vote them down.

Grow up.

• Downvote 1