Tip Button for Baseball

Kaiser Heide

Okay, so you've been hosting games and racking up money losing to that guy over and over but surprisingly you see...losing isn't all that bad, I'm making more losing. Then you remember the guy beating you constantly is getting a fraction of what you're getting since he's playing away...so after 30 minutes of playing and racking up, you tip the guy playing with you, as a thanks. I say make a tip box and button for that in the game results or under the opposing players nation OBL league tab, like an investment or another tip button in there. 

Edited by Kaiser Heide

2 hours ago, Kaiser Heide said:

Okay, so you've been hosting games and racking up money losing to that guy over and over but surprisingly you see...losing isn't all that bad, I'm making more losing. Then you remember the guy beating you constantly is getting a fraction of what you're getting since he's playing away...so after 30 minutes of playing and racking up, you tip the guy playing with you, as a thanks. I say make a tip box and button for that in the game results or under the opposing players nation OBL league tab, like an investment or another tip button in there. 

Best just to redesign the way teams get money. 

• Upvote 1

IpHGyGc.png

• Administrators

The way teams get money is intentionally configured so that you get paid a lot more to host games.

Someone can come through and clear 30 pending host games in about as many seconds, because you just hit the play away game. There has to be an incentive to host games (larger payout) otherwise the whole system wouldn't work.

I find it amusing that "tipping" has become the norm, but I don't understand it. I wouldn't tip someone for just clicking a button to play an away game.

• Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

hmm. I guess when I'm seeing the stats and I see the same dude pulled in thousands less than me after the same amount of games and button clicks, I feel bad cuz all both of us did was click a one button and I feel I came out ahead..but I guess its quick money vs. slow money tho...makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

The way teams get money is intentionally configured so that you get paid a lot more to host games.

Someone can come through and clear 30 pending host games in about as many seconds, because you just hit the play away game. There has to be an incentive to host games (larger payout) otherwise the whole system wouldn't work.

I find it amusing that "tipping" has become the norm, but I don't understand it. I wouldn't tip someone for just clicking a button to play an away game.

You shouldn't have added the embargo thing if you don't understand tipping, this is embarrassing. 
Tipping is a thing because you aren't paying the away teams enough.
I didn't know you were so clueless about it, you really shouldn't have made changes to it when you have no clue what you're changing. 

Edited by Clarke
  • Upvote 2

IpHGyGc.png

3 hours ago, Alex said:

It's not that there's merely a larger payout for hosting... it's that there's a payout for hosting. Even at best, the away player earns the winning bonus, which is hilariously small. And given two level 100 teams, you're getting that payout half the time at best anyway, but it seems to be less than that, possibly due to some kind of home team advantage.

However, despite the extreme disparity of profit to be made from hosting or from awaying, a ball game still requires a host and an away team. The away team earns anywhere from infinitely less to ridiculously less, and thus there's no real incentive to away at all, outside of tipping and/or trading games so that the away player can get some hosting in and thus make money at all. This disparity of incentive was where 'leeches' came from; since it simply made sense to host games all the time without giving anyone anything in return. Now (and this was a good change, if not perhaps the best it could have been), leeches get embargoed and thus are at least potentially avoided, and there's now options for players to avoid just feeding leeches with 99% of our games.

Also, uh, literally everything we do, from war to commerce, can be accurately described as 'clicking a button to play [a] game'. Just saying.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 1

Personally i prefer to trade games as opposed to tipping directly, though sometimes when a team i know outmatches me keeps clearing my homes but im not catching them in the aways i usually send them a challenge game for a small chunk of my home game winnings. 

I think the change should not be a "Tip button" but rather an increase in away game winnings and that away winnings should be based on the home team's ticket income.
of course i think homes should get more then aways just due to the fact its not instant and investing in stadiums cost more,
but then over time investing in aways ends up costing more as players retire but the stadium endures.

one point you bring up @Alex is that there would be a lack of incentives to host homes if aways made more money, but as it stands now aways make so little that there is NO incentive to invest in your team and play aways other than simply not wanting to be a leech and now getting embargoed for being a leech.

Edited by Ukunaka

• 8 months later...

This, or something like it, absolutely needs to be reconsidered.

On 6/24/2018 at 2:42 PM, Alex said:

That's the thing, you don't have to understand it, it's a natural emergent behavior that the baseball playing community has come to agree upon.
To deny a conclusion and request that the players and users of a feature have near unanimously come to, solely on the grounds that you don't understand and therefore think any suggestion is null and void is extremely inconsiderate and arrogant.

Obviously the system as it stands has been deemed incomplete and inefficient by its users solely by the virtue of them circumventing its included mechanics via tipping. To deny this or to deny the inadequacy of the system is just, to me, a sign of either intentionally ignoring the problem, arrogance, or apathy.

Fix the baseball system. Add an option for percentile based tipping. Let the players decide what is right, no tipping, tipping, or something in-between: it doesn't matter as long as the player is happy. Don't make the choice for them. Let emergent gameplay develop and help it flourish. Cultivate any and all communities within and surrounding the game. Stop impeding this.

Love ya'.

Edited by Malleator
  • Like 1

Love you