Specific Targets for Ships (Naval Attacks)

In the real world, a military vessel is a versatile object. Currently, by attacking an opponent via a naval attack in-game, all you can do is blockade and cause infrastructure damage. My suggestion is to upgrade the abilities of the naval attack to more accurately depict its real world abilities. 

Essentially:

the naval attack gains three additional targets (kind of like an airstrike): Infrastructure, planes, and money. When carrying out a naval attack, you can select which target you'd want to go for. If you get an immense triumph, you get the blockade, resistance depletion, and extra damage on whichever target you selected. 

Example:

I attack Country Random with a naval attack. Before carrying out the naval attack, I select "damage planes" (like you would for an airstrike). The result of my naval attack is an immense triumph over Country Random. The resulting damage on country random? The nation is blockaded, has lost 14 resistance, has lost 50 infrastrucutre and has lost 20 planes. Note that infrastructure damage would be limited unless you specifically select infrastructure as a target. 

What do you think?

His Royal Highness Emperor Tristar Majestica

Emperor of the Imperial Republic of Hungadada

From the title I thought this would be able specific components of the ship.

It is a bit silly that planes can attack ships but not the reverse. Flak guns are still a thing on ships. On the other hand then it's closer to being a copy of ground/air; would it be better if things were more redundant in that sense?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ilya said:

From the title I thought this would be able specific components of the ship.

It is a bit silly that planes can attack ships but not the reverse. Flak guns are still a thing on ships. On the other hand then it's closer to being a copy of ground/air; would it be better if things were more redundant in that sense?

i think it should only work in defense, ships should have a small chance to hit a small amount of planes airstriking, but it cant be too much as it will break the balance and make ships a little too powerful. i also think missiles should have the option to strike military Especially planes directly in exchange for no improvement striked maybe for 6 MAPs and 75% infra damage, instead of 8.

Edited by Ukunaka

6 hours ago, Emperor Tristar Majestica said:

In the real world, a military vessel is a versatile object. Currently, by attacking an opponent via a naval attack in-game, all you can do is blockade and cause infrastructure damage. My suggestion is to upgrade the abilities of the naval attack to more accurately depict its real world abilities. 

Essentially:

the naval attack gains three additional targets (kind of like an airstrike): Infrastructure, planes, and money. When carrying out a naval attack, you can select which target you'd want to go for. If you get an immense triumph, you get the blockade, resistance depletion, and extra damage on whichever target you selected. 

Example:

I attack Country Random with a naval attack. Before carrying out the naval attack, I select "damage planes" (like you would for an airstrike). The result of my naval attack is an immense triumph over Country Random. The resulting damage on country random? The nation is blockaded, has lost 14 resistance, has lost 50 infrastrucutre and has lost 20 planes. Note that infrastructure damage would be limited unless you specifically select infrastructure as a target. 

What do you think?

While naval ships are indeed versatile and powerful, they do suffer the limitation that they only are able to operate in the water, and water of specific depths at that. Our nations can be wherever we want, including the middle of the Sahara or the Australian Outback. While aircraft can easily and reliably strike anywhere they can fly over, it would take no less than a long range cruise missile or ICBM for a naval unit to bombard a target that deep inland, and we've already got missiles as military options.

Honestly, it's already powerful enough that blockades cause an absolute shutdown of all international trade and aid efforts; we can't airlift resources to or from a blockaded nation for some reason. This suggestion would make ships pretty much the be-all and end-all military unit, since they'd inherit the purpose of aircraft on top of their current use of mass infra damage and blockading.

The best way I can think of to balance the mechanic would be to basically make all of the 3 conventional forces able to be targetted like airstrikes, along with needing all 3 forms of control to prevent trade. That way each military branch is on equal footing, and it's not so easy nor immediate to lose access to supply lines. If there's a blockade, pull a Berlin Airlift; if the enemy has air superiority, then send ground convoys. Now, obviously it's not reasonable to expect ground convoys to be able to trade to an island nation, but it's equally unreasonable to expect a naval blockade to preclude trade between two nations in central Asia.

And really, why aren't all military branches able to have mission profiles set for each attack?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ilya said:

It is a bit silly that planes can attack ships but not the reverse. Flak guns are still a thing on ships. 

Don't try to argue realism on this topic for 2 reasons. 

1. Gameplay > Realism

2. Missiles designed to hit ships from planes tend to have longer ranges than shp-based anti-air. Here is the longest ship based anti-air I could find at 130 nmi/150 mi/240 km. According to the page, "During exercises from 18–20 June 2014, USS John Paul Jones fired four SM-6 missiles. One part of the exercise, designated NIFC-CA AS-02A, resulted in the then-longest surface-to-air engagement in naval history;[22] the exact range of the intercept was not publicly released." Here are a few of the anti-ship missiles I could find that exceeded that range (granted one is experimental). 

That being said, I do think ships should do damage to air to balance air and help justify the large cost of ships. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• 1 month later...

I think all units should have AA points except nukes. Aircraft should be able to hit missiles and even target improvements, like nuclear reactors, or drydocks

Missiles should have some AA points, like say one missile is worth 25 planes or whatever, it would actually make it justifiable to buy missiles

And ground units should be able to Occupy a city if they win a battle or multiple battles based on city count. 

For example, a nation with 25 cities is fighting another nation with 25 cities. If they defeat the enemy in a ground attack, then they should be able to occupy an enemy city.