Make Approval Rating Mean Something

Wendell

I think approval rating should mean something like an extra bonus on revenue or higher taxes. Like if citizens approve your rule they should willing to pay additional taxes or give donations to their dear leader. 

Edited by Deulos
  • Downvote 7

14 hours ago, Deulos said:

I think approval rating should mean something like an extra bonus on revenue or higher taxes. Like if citizens approve your rule they should more willing to pay taxes or give donations to their dear leader. 

There's a number of issues with this, but one that stands out is that approval rating, as it stands, is unbounded both above 100% and below 0%. Personally I've had an approval rating as high as 400% and currently am at -176%, pushing for -200%.

I mean, I'm wildly off the bell curve in many ways, but the point remains: approval rating is currently a flavor mechanic for limited RP purposes and nothing more, and we've been playing under that system for years.

Another critical issue is that approval rating is increased largely by winning wars, and dramatically reduced by losing wars and declaring wars that aren't won, and reduced by having wars declared upon you. This means that it's really easy to lose your approval rating unless you consolidate and avoid risk, which are maladaptive behaviors that are extremely bad for the game as a whole and must be mechanically discouraged, not encouraged.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Deulos said:

I think approval rating should mean something like an extra bonus on revenue or higher taxes. Like if citizens approve your rule they should more willing to pay taxes or give donations to their dear leader. 

The lowest Approval rating is -4,710.98 right now. According to you higher ratings will bring more taxes and what about lower rating... They won't pay tax?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

There's a number of issues with this, but one that stands out is that approval rating, as it stands, is unbounded both above 100% and below 0%. Personally I've had an approval rating as high as 400% and currently am at -176%, pushing for -200%.

I mean, I'm wildly off the bell curve in many ways, but the point remains: approval rating is currently a flavor mechanic for limited RP purposes and nothing more, and we've been playing under that system for years.

Another critical issue is that approval rating is increased largely by winning wars, and dramatically reduced by losing wars and declaring wars that aren't won, and reduced by having wars declared upon you. This means that it's really easy to lose your approval rating unless you consolidate and avoid risk, which are maladaptive behaviors that are extremely bad for the game as a whole and must be mechanically discouraged, not encouraged.

1. So make it bounded or get rid of it.

2. Don't care about what your approval rating is or what has happened for many years.

3. It is just as easy to gain approval rating. 

4. Anything else?

10 hours ago, Flavee said:

The lowest Approval rating is -4,710.98 right now. According to you higher ratings will bring more taxes and what about lower rating... They won't pay tax?

1. Don't care about the lowest approval rating.

2. That question tells me you didn't read my original post. 

3. Was there anything constructive you needed to add?

Edited by Deulos
  • Downvote 6

i agree that approval ratings should mean something more, even if only minimal

maybe it could effect crime % for nations below 100% approval and cap at 0%, not as a direct rate but as an adjustment on the current crime & commerce formulas.

however for this to work there will also have to be a cap and correction on the amount of approval points below zero & Above 100% someone can have as nations who have been long term at 0% may never be able to raise at this point, there might also need to be some tweeking over all on how other issues effect approval rating.

Edited by Ukunaka
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Deulos said:

"I don't care about anything anyone says"

This is why you have an average -4.7 reputation per post. Keep it up though, you'll eventually get to the level of @No neck casey

Anyway, it is not easy to gain approval rating. It is in fact an extremely risky, difficult, and counterproductive endeavor, since the only real way to quickly increase approval rating is to win wars. And with the war system being what it is, winning wars is something that you very much want to avoid doing in many circumstances.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Deulos said:

1. So make it bounded or get rid of it.

2. Don't care about what your approval rating is or what has happened for many years.

3. It is just as easy to gain approval rating. 

4. Anything else?

1. Don't care about the lowest approval rating.

2. That question tells me you didn't read my original post. 

3. Was there anything constructive you needed to add?

1. First you are saying either use it or get rid of it

2. Second you are saying you don't care about what his approval rating is (Neither I care about your ratings) yet you want people to listen to you?

3. nothing to say here

4. You don't care about his opinion and suggestion and you are still asking "Anything else"? Better watch out before you say something

1. You don't care about lowest approval ratings? I don't care about highest approval rating! What are you even doing here?? This is a suggestion thread

2. That answer tells me you didn't read that this is a suggestion thread and you are pretty dumb and you should stop posting useless ideas

3. Yes add some salt as a gift from me to you;

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Sir Scarfalot said:

This is why you have an average -4.7 reputation per post. Keep it up though, you'll eventually get to the level of @No neck casey

Anyway, it is not easy to gain approval rating. It is in fact an extremely risky, difficult, and counterproductive endeavor, since the only real way to quickly increase approval rating is to win wars. And with the war system being what it is, winning wars is something that you very much want to avoid doing in many circumstances.

Make ways to increase approval ratings, or have a real use for it. I mean why have it. Its just extra code for Alex to deal with, maybe he meant to do something with it and left it unfinished or forgot.

Winning wars is supposed to be a bad thing? That doesn't make sense.

• Downvote 4

@Flavee So I don't care about your negativity or trolling. Confirming all my points just proves you agree. If you do t like different ideas on a suggestions forum (where New ideas live) maybe you should rethink your purpose in responding to anyone's posts in this subforum.

• Downvote 5

11 hours ago, Deulos said:

Confirming all my points just proves you agree.

He wasn't confirming so much as he was responding to you. They gave you constructive criticism, but all you did was brush it off as 'negativity and 'trolling.'

I like your idea, but it wasn't thought out well.

• Upvote 1

On Mon May 28 2018 at 8:02 AM, AwesomeNova said:

I like your idea, but it wasn't thought out well.

Or maybe that guy keeps ignoring what we said just to keep his point on top.

And when we try to right him he calls it "Personal attack/Roasting/Trolling"

Edited by Flavee
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I do feel the approval rating stats has some potential, but it itself needs to be fixed before anything else can be thought of. As Sir Scarfalot said, the range is very wide and it's easy to lose it very easily. I originally had more than 100%, but went below zero within one war of our alliance being gang banged. Another gang banging later, I doubt if I ever will raise it above zero.

The formula is flawed and it's very hard to regain approval. Also, it doesn't make sense to gain/lose approval as a result of war. In fact too many wars in a short time should result in a loss of approval. Think back to Bush and Afghan / Iraq wars. His approval rating had risen, if I am not mistaken, immediately after 9/11 and Afghan war declaration, but fell as the Iraq war dragged on.

Conversely, if you are an oppressed nation fighting for your independence or something, then even if you loose, the country folks would still be behind their leader in hopes of eventual victory. So after a certain number of losses in a week/month, approval rating should not fall further.

Someone may say here that the approval rating system is too minor for Alex's time, and alas, that is true as well.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2018 at 8:22 PM, Sir Scarfalot said:

you'd think if someone understood the unfairness of approval systems it would be him...

• Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 12:08 AM, Ukunaka said:

i agree that approval ratings should mean something more, even if only minimal

maybe it could effect crime % for nations below 100% approval and cap at 0%, not as a direct rate but as an adjustment on the current crime

I can agree on this, the less approval rating the higher the crime, this way ppl would actually need to buy more police stations :3
But positive approval should not decrease crime.

Edited by MonkeyDLegend
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
32204241a4480364cfebb04c10bf72cfaeb4dce2x696.gif
Former Manager t$ and Director of R&D
Former Director of Finance, Security in e$
Founder of The Prate Syndicate(test server)
luffyt$forum.gif

1 hour ago, MonkeyDLegend said:

I can agree on this, the less approval rating the higher the crime, this way ppl would actually need to buy more police stations :3
But positive approval should not decrease crime.

i agree that it shouldn't be tilted to much to make this change give a bonus to positive overflow 100% leaders like making the current base 50|50 would, 
but i think maybe making the current norm what would to be expected at maybe 80 or 90% or higher instead of exactly at 100% a fair offer. that way the only decrease seen by the change would be from the small 90-100 window and the decrease would be miniscule. though if base was 100% that would still be acceptable as long as it is paired with changes to the current approval rating formulas that wouldn't break the system.

• 1 month later...