Baseball Needs Some Tweaking

Clarke

7 hours ago, Yang_Cheng said:

My idea, Simply remove the Away/Home part of baseball.  Just have a single option to play baseball.  When you play baseball, it would make your team play the other team once in your home field, and once in their home field.  Winners still take some more for winning.  This would effectively be a built-in 50-50 system, also it would allow for everyone to play with everyone else without really getting salty about leeching.

This is just my simple idea, if you disagree, tell me what you would like to change.

It's better than embargoing and it's simple enough to code. Has my support.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

IpHGyGc.png

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

It's better than embargoing and it's simple enough to code. Has my support.

I'd still add in the Embargo feature so i'm not being paired up with 1.27 score teams that bring me next to nothing. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2018 at 6:05 PM, Lightning said:

adding embargoing to that system is severely going to disrupt that system mainly by slowing down the rate at which games are played if people are embargoing others and removing their contact with other players.

It will only slow it down for players who only leech, like you, and will be instantly embargoed. For the rest it will increase baseball played as they are not timing baseball to avoid players like you.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, LeotheGreat said:

It will only slow it down for players who only leech, like you, and will be instantly embargoed. For the rest it will increase baseball played as they are not timing baseball to avoid players like you.

It seems I need to up my game ;)

• Downvote 1

IpHGyGc.png

Which is more logical, sitting on a home game with 20 other players for 10 minutes waiting for someone else to play away games and making 0 money or playing a few away games to get other people to play away games so you all get a few home games in there as well? You have to give a little to get a lot. It's really not that hard to understand.

• Upvote 2

Well, sometimes it doesn't go that way.  I normal try to play a few home games to see if people are playing away.  If not, I would go play a while of away, then go back to home.  And normally, no one plays away anyways.  

If people switch between home and away I'm definally fine with leeching.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 3:00 PM, Yang_Cheng said:

Well, sometimes it doesn't go that way.  I normal try to play a few home games to see if people are playing away.  If not, I would go play a while of away, then go back to home.  And normally, no one plays away anyways.  

If people switch between home and away I'm definally fine with leeching.

I guess you not on enough to see that I do play away games to see how fast those leeches that go right back to home games right away 

Screw 30 to get a player up to speed...my last player took 144 ($20k) clicks. That's almost $2.9M for those looking for cash.

I (obviously) don't play for the money, but if I wanted to leach, hell yeah I would! When I try to play away, there are usually only 2-4 teams to play before I can go Host, so as I see it the new policy would only make it worse. But as already stated, the game just a time and money waster...get over it!

• 9 months later...

Just reading through an old thread here since I used to play baseball a lot.

The OP is loaded with common sense, and it's really shameful people can't get it.

There's a reason more people don't play baseball - they see it as a ripoff that takes a long time to get rolling.

The fact is home players do leech off of everyone else, old players basically screw new players over, and the upgrade time makes it way too annoying to rebuild your team.

Keep in mind I say this as the record holder of building a maxed out team from scratch without receiving a single penny in city-grants. I know very directly and uniquely how difficult it is to get established paying baseball.

I also have the following stats: Money Invested: $59,747,500.00 | Money Earned: $156,337,634.80

10) Dubayolis Dubbuds defaultlogo.png Dubayolis X7cURsn.png
Dubayoo
Dubbudbuddub Arena 28,516 10,545 2.09

The only person in the top 10 with a better win-loss ratio than me in the game is Who Me, and that's because he literally played thousands of games against me with a maxed out team while I was building up from nothing.

• Downvote 2

On 5/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, Yang_Cheng said:

My idea, Simply remove the Away/Home part of baseball.  Just have a single option to play baseball.  When you play baseball, it would make your team play the other team once in your home field, and once in their home field.  Winners still take some more for winning.  This would effectively be a built-in 50-50 system, also it would allow for everyone to play with everyone else without really getting salty about leeching.

This is just my simple idea, if you disagree, tell me what you would like to change.

The problem is the away team would become the leech since it takes investment to build a stadium.

The better solution is to have players advertise games with their teams with a listed percentage of home versus away pricing and win versus loss pricing, and people could choose which host to visit. The community would establish a market equilibrium of what the rates should be between hosting versus visiting and winning versus losing.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:01 AM, Sir Scarfalot said:

Winning or losing the baseball match is completely meaningless in terms of the revenue generated, or for that matter anything at all other than a meaningless stat. The vast majority of revenues comes from who hosts the games, which has resulted in a baseball environment filled with leeches that make baseball not really worth doing. This would totally be a casus belli, but even if we raided the leeches to the ground, that wouldn't actually stop them.

Suggestion: Our baseball teams should not be able to be matched with nations we've embargoed. Boom, embargo becomes meaningful and lets people have some measure of choice in who they baseball with. Fixes so many problems with baseball.

This is only true for well established teams where players and stadiums have been invested in.

If you're talking about new players who haven't yet invested, winning means a lot.

Also, what you're describing is a flaw, not a feature. If anything, it's a problem that winning and losing doesn't earn as much. To keep it realistic, teams should benefit from their success or failure. The problem is baseball IG lacks a merchandising feature which could be easily coded by saying the amount of games played and the winning percentage determines a certain rate of income per turn in the game.

If that feature isn't programmed, then the game should just vastly increase the amount earned from winning games.

• Downvote 2

On 5/14/2018 at 7:43 PM, Seeker said:

I disagree with a lot of what @Lightning is saying, there are things wrong with baseball but it's not anything that you've really covered.  However, @Sir Scarfalot is on the right track in regards to the embargoes for people who are just going to sit on home and never play away.

I was thinking of an idea for having the ability where you can just play with only your alliance which helps people stay active/busy and gives them something to do while things aren't going on without having to bother with the people who want to abuse a system by doing purely home games. 

I rather have the option to not deal with morons than be forced to deal with them because I can't do anything to prevent them from doing solely home games only caring about themselves.

Other than that, I have no issues with baseball.  Is it tedious?  Yes, but that was the intention and if you play it then you should expect nothing less.  It shouldn't be changed so people can be lazier and get the same reward or allow the richest to reap all the rewards.

The game should have automated leagues, yes. It'd be like playing a fantasy league except with made up players and teams.

You wouldn't even need to click the play game buttons anymore. You could just build up a team, sign up for a league, and go.

A lot more people would play then since it's not such a redundant click-fest anymore. They could be given constructive things to do to click as well like interactive training programs. Instead of clicking over and over, you could gamble a certain amount in the training program, and the better you performed, the more return you'd get for your wager. Higher wagers would make the program more difficult, so you'd still have to wager a soft maximum and redo it over and over to succeed efficiently.

The same thing could apply to stadium upgrades in having to do some interactive building program. Maybe even do the same thing to have your team travel to other stadiums, heal injuries, or scout new recruits.

There's just so much potential that's not unlocked.

• Downvote 2

After reading though all 4 pages of comments on this topic, I came up with 2 general topics that needs to be addressed:

1). Baseball is a huge investment and takes a lot of time and resources to effectively be a positive investment:

This is a very delicate thing to adjust, as making it too cheap would just increase the next the next problems. I have posted my idea about using stadium city improvements to increase the money output, but now that I think about it that would also increase my next problem aswell.

2). The people who host games make way more money than the people who play away games, causing leeching:

This is by far the biggest issue. More people have complained about this issue with baseball more than anything else. There is a lot of suggestions to fix this, from automatically make games be hosted from both sides to strait up increasing the winnings. There really isn't anything to be said about this topic it just has to be addressed, because this can only be fixed by increasing the other sides output, wether it by hosting a game on both sides or by increasing winnings something's got to happen

A solution To fix the problem with the fact that hosting makes more money is to make winnings have a multiplier affected by the hosting stadium's seating/quality level. That way if a real team went to a leeching stadium, the real team can take advantage of the leeching stadium 

• Administrators

Baseball is by far the least important aspect of the game, and I'm not going to spend any more development time on it.

Furthermore, Home games make a lot more money by design. That's the point - to encourage a lot more people to host home games than to play away games, because one person can play through 60 home games in 60 seconds.

Since this is a gravedig, I'm locking this thread as I've stated I won't be changing anything anyway.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Alex locked this topic