Capping City Age Bonus

Alex

9 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

...Instead of capping it, why don't you correlate the population growth to the amount of Land?  (Basically capping the Pop Density instead of the Pop itself, if that makes sense?)  If a city doesn't have enough land to expand the population, it doesn't grow anymore...

...Could also tweak the effect of Nukes to slow down or reset the return growth after a city gets nuked...

I agree with both of these, definitely the nuke aspect

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Nowadays, the oldest cities are nearing 4 years old (1460 days) and that is equivalent to an almost 50% increase in population. It has a huge effect on gameplay, when in reality, it was not intended to have any real effect at all.

In other words, Sheepy didn't think losers would play some random text-based browser game for so long. :P

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Well, I was actually discussing this with someone, and I gotta admit I hadn't liked what I'd learned. The mechanic is flawed in some of the worst ways possible for balance.

6 hours ago, Buorhann said:

Instead of capping it, why don't you correlate the population growth to the amount of Land?  (Basically capping the Pop Density instead of the Pop itself, if that makes sense?)  If a city doesn't have enough land to expand the population, it doesn't grow anymore.

I sort of agree with this solution. The mechanics would therefore be something like: infrastructure provides a flat population baseline to which modifiers from disease, malnutrition (run outta food, population size suffers), recent nuclear attack (radiation, population size suffers), crime, and city-age bonus are applied, while land area provides a hard cap to population growth beyond which population cannot exceed by any means, right?

That said, I definitely do NOT like the idea of nukes being able to destroy 1500 days worth of gathered bonus. I mean, what the actual heck, people that have stuck around that hard really shouldn't have all their work bumped off that easily. If game balance requires their inflated bonus to be cut down, then let's just tweak the formula and cut it right on down; it's not like Alex hasn't implemented nerfs that hit active player demographics before.

Personally I think 25% extra population at a maximum would be more than enough, and a good compromise between 'status quo' and 'eliminate the mechanic', and only cut the current oldest cities' bonus in half.

• Downvote 1

On 5/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, Buorhann said:

I wish there was a "Indifferent" 'Like/Dislike', lol.

I can't really support or go against this, I can see arguments for both sides.

Instead of capping it, why don't you correlate the population growth to the amount of Land?  (Basically capping the Pop Density instead of the Pop itself, if that makes sense?)  If a city doesn't have enough land to expand the population, it doesn't grow anymore.

Could also tweak the effect of Nukes to slow down or reset the return growth after a city gets nuked.

This is a pretty good suggestion. Land becomes useful for things other than spamming farms.

It would also be a good idea to *cap* the effect of land increasing population at some point, so land doesn't get too OP. Like, if land is over 5000, it does no longer increase pop in city X/or a max % cap on the bonus land gives to pop.

Edited by Theodosius
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Theodosius said:

This is a pretty good suggestion. Land becomes useful for things other than spamming farms.

It would also be a good idea to *cap* the effect of land increasing population at some point, so land doesn't get too OP. Like, if land is over 5000, it does no longer increase pop in city X/or a max % cap on the bonus land gives to pop.

I think I agree, though there being a softcap to land just like there is a softcap to cities might be better.

• Downvote 1

I think the original suggestion is more sensible than capping based on land. Land isn't capped, and there's no way to destroy it, so it's just a way for richer/older players to mitigate the effects of the change. If you're trying to mitigate the effects of the change past capping it, just don't cap it in the first place.

Cap it at 1500 days? 150% pop? A little high, but anyone could get there, and it looks nice and round at least?

I think from a psychological retention perspective it makes sense to have some passive bonus for having an older nation that no one can take away. Accumulated age on cities, even capped, accomplishes this well enough. That would be the main reason I wouldn't say to remove the effect entirely.

From a political perspective, I'm sort of curious who's been suggesting this change... while it is sensible enough, it's in line with the other way worse suggestion about city costs in terms of who it will benefit.

• Upvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

What about improvements?

Age city bonus from 0% to 20% free for everyone

Add one improvement to go from 20% to 30%

Add another one to go from 30% to 40%

Add a third improvement to reach 50% that is the max

But to be honest the land idea is already perfect

8 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Their is a soft cap on land, its the exorbitant price of land when you start getting into 4k+ land.  Buying 4.5k to 5k land is 20 million.

Are you kidding? 20 million is within my spending ability, let alone yours, especially once you're seriously considering or actually spending over a billion on a city.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Downvote 1

Always trying to hurt the OG members.

We were here long before the scrubs and we'll be here long after.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2018 at 6:00 PM, Buorhann said:

I agree with the land cap more than what Alex proposed.

Edited by AwesomeNova
the letter 'I' wasn't capitalized and another grammatical error