Please Provide A Serious Answer!

Lord Didius

Hello! I am a new P&W Player and have big hopes for the future. I really want to be on the leader board and become one of the top nations, but I'm starting to doubt that it will happen... My friend says it will never happen because i joined so late in the game, and because of how difficult it is, and he is at 8 cities. I was hoping i could reach 50 cities, but now that I know how expensive it is, i doubt it will happen. I have big hopes for the future, and I am trying to replicate the Roman Empire. Everyone tells me it wont happen and that it's too late. Is it too late?

Thank you!

By the way, my Brother used to play p&w and introduced me to it. He told me it was probably too late as well

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You can become as big as you want but keep in mind that the large nations who were around already will be growing too. The odds are against you in making the leaderboard for nation score, but it's not impossible. 

Edited by Smith

C0r3Fye.png

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Lord Didius said:

Hello! I am a new P&W Player and have big hopes for the future. I really want to be on the leader board and become one of the top nations, but I'm starting to doubt that it will happen... My friend says it will never happen because i joined so late in the game, and because of how difficult it is, and he is at 8 cities. I was hoping i could reach 50 cities, but now that I know how expensive it is, i doubt it will happen. I have big hopes for the future, and I am trying to replicate the Roman Empire. Everyone tells me it wont happen and that it's too late. Is it too late?

Thank you!

By the way, my Brother used to play p&w and introduced me to it. He told me it was probably too late as well

There are no real limits on growth, provided larger nations helped you out, you can grow as big as any other nation in the game. That's one of the benefits of not having limits on trade, like other similar games have. However, if you could immediately progress to 50 cities without any assistance, that would be wildly unfair (and it would also mean that other nations would have already progressed beyond that point as well.)

The largest nations in the game have been playing since the game began, for almost 4 years now. I think that if you were dedicated, you could be near the very top in another 4 years perhaps, but it's hard to expect to surpass someone that's been playing for 4 years when you've been playing for 1 day. That's not to say you can't make a lot of progress, just that to be the absolute best, it will take a long time.

Keep in mind though that the game isn't designed for anyone to reach 50 cities. No one will ever be able to afford (hopefully) over 40 cities in the game, ever.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Thanks man

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

There are no real limits on growth, provided larger nations helped you out, you can grow as big as any other nation in the game. That's one of the benefits of not having limits on trade, like other similar games have. However, if you could immediately progress to 50 cities without any assistance, that would be wildly unfair (and it would also mean that other nations would have already progressed beyond that point as well.)

The largest nations in the game have been playing since the game began, for almost 4 years now. I think that if you were dedicated, you could be near the very top in another 4 years perhaps, but it's hard to expect to surpass someone that's been playing for 4 years when you've been playing for 1 day. That's not to say you can't make a lot of progress, just that to be the absolute best, it will take a long time.

Keep in mind though that the game isn't designed for anyone to reach 50 cities. No one will ever be able to afford (hopefully) over 40 cities in the game, ever.

Thank you! Also, why would it be so hard to reach 50 cities? Most countries have over 500, while the US has 3007 cities

You certainly won't become the Roman Empire unless you call your nation that or roleplay as it but otherwise no, your alliance could be a part of it though. Think of it this way, the Roman Empire was made up of loads of modern day countries, not just one nation. Cities are hard to get in this game because they help you grow and anything that greatly benefits you has to be something that takes time to get.

IpHGyGc.png

1 minute ago, Lightning said:

You certainly won't become the Roman Empire unless you call your nation that or roleplay as it but otherwise no, your alliance could be a part of it though. Think of it this way, the Roman Empire was made up of loads of modern day countries, not just one nation. Cities are hard to get in this game because they help you grow and anything that greatly benefits you has to be something that takes time to get.

What about the Byzantine Empire?

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well, now there’s a challenge set...

22 minutes ago, Lord Didius said:

Thanks man

Thank you! Also, why would it be so hard to reach 50 cities? Most countries have over 500, while the US has 3007 cities

You’re thinking too literal for a game.

• Upvote 2

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Lord Didius said:

Thanks man

The game isn't designed for that. It's extremely tedious to manage 20 individual cities in this game, having 50 would be a nightmare. If you had 3000 cities, and you had to buy and sell improvements individually for each of them, you'd certainly quit.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

25 minutes ago, Lord Didius said:

No, the byzantine empire on P&W they have a score of 8,000

Its one of the biggest nations but its score isn't that much compared to alliances comprised of nations. If that is enough for you then yes you can have an empire. 

IpHGyGc.png

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Its one of the biggest nations but its score isn't that much compared to alliances comprised of nations. If that is enough for you then yes you can have an empire. 

Well, I also want to make an alliance

8 minutes ago, Lord Didius said:

I'd highly advise joining an established alliance first, and learning the ropes of how this game operates.  Then create a new alliance, so you can pass on your knowledge you learned from others to new players you get in your alliance.

Truth be told though, it's hard to recruit and retain new players.  Get to know some folks in the community and learn from them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that you are not too late as time doesn't matter it's the strategy which is what i like about this game. Plus active nations do better than inactive ones thus rewarding active users.

Basically I'll just emphasize everything Buorhann said. You'll notice that the biggest nations have all put multiple years into this game. Play your cards right, join an established alliance (at least for your first year), and start learning - next thing you know you'll be a top-tier nation. This is a long-term kind of commitment. ?

• Like 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

The game is just a vehicle for the community interaction, so I wouldn't tie success or expected enjoyment onto how many cities you have. You can play and be successful at any city count. There is so much mediocrity here player wise, putting in effort to grow and learning to war well will separate you from the pack. For most alliances, a smaller active player who knows the game is of much greater value than big inactive nations that suck at war (and we have plenty in PnW). I'll also echo what everyone else said about finding a good alliance. That will set you up for success (or failure) depending on your choice. Good luck!!

ETA: I'm happy to give you my recommendations on good AA's if you desire.

Edited by Critters
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

image.jpg1_zpszukhjtut.jpg

The Redneck Caliphate of Forrest's Critters

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lord Didius said:

The others made great points about waiting to make an alliance. I will emphasize why it's not a good idea:

Without a strong foundation and some allies, if you create your own alliance, everyone else will just see you as an easy target and raid you constantly for fun and for profit. People don't raid members of established alliances (usually) because they have a strong network of allies and funds to protect themselves and organize counter-offensives. Once you've played for some time, have a larger nation, some friends that want to form an alliance with you, and connections to other alliances, then it would be a good time to try forming your own alliance.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

@AlexI agree to an extent as he should join an alliance to grow and then create one. although he is raided as he is not in an alliance. I feel your point about allies is good although to elaborate on that If he doesn't get members in his alliance than he might as well be not in one thus making the alliance redundant. @Lord Didius

Edited by Sean289

On 5/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, Alex said:

The others made great points about waiting to make an alliance. I will emphasize why it's not a good idea:

Without a strong foundation and some allies, if you create your own alliance, everyone else will just see you as an easy target and raid you constantly for fun and for profit. People don't raid members of established alliances (usually) because they have a strong network of allies and funds to protect themselves and organize counter-offensives. Once you've played for some time, have a larger nation, some friends that want to form an alliance with you, and connections to other alliances, then it would be a good time to try forming your own alliance.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:25 PM, Sean289 said:

@AlexI agree to an extent as he should join an alliance to grow and then create one. although he is raided as he is not in an alliance. I feel your point about allies is good although to elaborate on that If he doesn't get members in his alliance than he might as well be not in one thus making the alliance redundant. @Lord Didius

My friend Shlappa had told me not to make an alliance until I get 15-20 cities

On 5/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, Lord Didius said:

On 5/8/2018 at 7:31 PM, Buorhann said:

I'd highly advise joining an established alliance first, and learning the ropes of how this game operates.  Then create a new alliance, so you can pass on your knowledge you learned from others to new players you get in your alliance.

not only is it beneficial for learning the ropes and better formulating how to setup your government but also a good way to maybe establish some good diplomatic ties for your new alliance , such as becoming a protectorate of your first alliance or them even helping to fund your new alliance's growth.

Edited by Ukunaka

12 hours ago, Lord Didius said:

My friend Shlappa had told me not to make an alliance until I get 15-20 cities

Like the others said, there's more to it than that. Alliances require their leadership to have a strong understanding of the war and economic mechanics; no matter how large or small that alliance is, an incomplete understanding of the game fundamentals leaves that alliance on a very shaky foundation. Like Buorhann said, once you're in the leadership, your members are going to ask you what they need to do. If you don't have answers to all their questions, then why should they follow you?

Also, you're outgunned. That's just a fact. Militarily, only about the top few dozen nations in the game can even dream of standing alone, and even then they're vulnerable to dedicated assaults from well-equipped raiding teams. Even at the best case scenario, everyone is vulnerable to having 3 wars declared on them at any given time. If you're not online within seconds, you could see your entire military fall apart like a house of dominoes. apologies for the sh*tty simile

Now, that's not to say that you can't hold your own, or even win. This is a complex multiplayer environment, and everyone has their own agendas, politics, friendships, and rivalries to consider. Raiders happen, but for the most part they won't pick fights they won't profit from. They'll still pick fights they can't necessarily win, though, as long as there's just enough money or externalities they stand to gain to justify the expenditure of their resources/infrastructure/military. Therefore, a stable alliance needs at least 3 combat-ready nations in range of each other nation in that alliance, so that no given raider can expect to attack and not get countered. Most raiders at the lower tiers are solo actors and can be dealt with relatively easily, given resources and competence. However, get a bit higher, and raiders begin to work together for mutual gain. In that case, your whole alliance, top to bottom, needs to have a sturdy military on hand, and you'll need to have at least 9 nations ready to back up any given nation to be properly safe. Also, keep your on-hand resources modest and be prepared to hide your bank with another alliance so that even if you do get raided and you can't stop them, they don't walk away with too much of your stuff. Pirates have a lot of targets to choose from, so just like the old joke about the bear and the campers, you don't need to outgun the raiders... you just need to outgun your friends :ehm:

All that of course assumes that there isn't someone out there with your name on their sh*t list, because then you've got an entirely different and much worse problem.

Of course, having that many competent members and that much firepower isn't cheap or easy in and of itself, even unopposed. That's why most new alliances prepare heavily before they form and they get a protection agreement from an established and strong alliance. Of course, such a protection arrangement throws you into the political game, and once you're there, well, welcome to the jungle.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, Alex said:

Challenge accepted Sheeps, (its only 2.6 billion, we have a whole bunch of nations that have more than that in infra)

And yes you can catch up but it will take alot of work, you will need to have a plan, get run into some luck here and there, But you could probably power level your self into the high 20 city count in 2 years.