Every City Gets a Random "Bonus Resource"

Alex

• Administrators

My suggestion is pretty straightforward: each new city would start with a randomly chosen "bonus." This "bonus" would be related to city characteristics. Here are a few examples of what I have in mind:

Flood Plain - 20% increased output from Farms in this city

Natural Harbor - +5% commerce (naturally, without any commerce improvements)

Hot Springs - +5% population

And then basically one additional bonus for each natural resource. The idea would be that each of your cities would have a different "bonus" and if this were implemented all existing cities would just have one randomly generated.

I think it would make things less "cookie-cutter" as in you may not want to have the exact same build for every single city. However, that could obviously be a drawback too, as it would be tedious.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

So this would be random for each new city - at the same time each current city would get a random bonus?

I say, this would be interesting in terms of city builds - can't just be like 'y'all just build this way' you'd have to actually build based off the bonus. Would it piss people off? yes, everything you do pisses people off Alex. Would I be willing to try it? frick yes.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If this was to make it's way into the game I feel like it shouldn't be random, have it so you can choose what you get but make sure they cost resources and some additional cash. Perhaps add a 'Bonus' option when making a new city and have a drop down of each different thing, Natural Habour, Hot Springs etc

Edit: that way a nation that wants to focus on say, producing resources could just buy all resource bonuses while nations (such as raiders) that focus on military can get minuscule military buffs from their cities, A military bonus could be something like +1% increase to daily military purchase per city, So if you have 15 cities all with the military bonus, You can recruit military 15% faster a day

Edited by Codonian

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Sketchy said:

If people want to diversify their builds, they can already do so, incentivizing it is unnecessary and limits options it doesn't create more.

This suggestion wouldn't limit things at all. From a min/max perspective, sure it might shift the optimal build for each city. But you could still build it however you want and ignore the bonus, continuing on like normal. After all, it would basically be a "free" bonus, above and beyond the status quo.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

1 hour ago, Alex said:

This suggestion wouldn't limit things at all. From a min/max perspective, sure it might shift the optimal build for each city. But you could still build it however you want and ignore the bonus, continuing on like normal. After all, it would basically be a "free" bonus, above and beyond the status quo.

Without some sort of ability to pay to change your city bonus (not with credits I swear to god), your proposal inherently promotes a type of city building that anyone can do currently anyway. Not only that but if its "random", the bonuses will be distributed unfairly, as some bonuses will be inherently better than others based on market profitably of certain resources/builds.

Your last update that attempted to address "cookie-cutter builds", you removed the choice for self-sustainability vs profitability, which was the only meaningful choice nations actually had in regards to city building, as ultimately you can always min/max your builds if you know the numbers, choosing between Resource A and Resource B is a deceptive illusion of "choice", as one will always be more profitable than the other at any given time. This update doesn't fix the issue you created when you changed that, and you've not reverted the econ changes (despite overwhelming support from the community in favor of you doing so).

If you want to fix "cookie-cutter" builds, and give people actual choices over their builds, revert the econ changes.

• Upvote 1

XLL3z4T.gif