Lets talk food

Johnny Costello

ok so. we know how many nations are about to starve. but. What if we could starve them.... todeath?

yes. a morbid suggestion. And I feel rather realistic and tactical to war benefits. 

when a nation runs out of food each turn the lose (insert a fair percentage of infrastructure) to simulate a portion of the population dying off. 

• Upvote 1

I hold the Right to my own Fate

yUpP2fl.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

ill add to that and say that running out of power should also effect your food stockpile

Why? Food is generic and plenty of food doesn't require power to keep.

I think you're missing the point a bit with trying to draw a parallelism to the real world.  Instead, you're just searching for a like for like penalty without thought :P

Edited by Maverick0984

51 minutes ago, Maverick0984 said:

Why? Food is generic and plenty of food doesn't require power to keep.

True, but in modern cities in developed nations enough of it does that power outages result in huge losses of dairy and meat, and if the power outage lasts long enough the list expands to include eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Amongst other things of course.

Still, there's enough food preservation methods that don't require electricity to where the impact can be mitigated, and we can assume that the 'food' resource that exists in our stockpiles or on the market are canned or dried or whatever, since it *is* our stockpile. Most IRL nations have strategic food reserves like that.

This does mean that everyone that doesn't have actual farms doesn't have access to fresh foods, but we knew that already.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Soxirella said:

There's a technical problem with this suggestion. The game calculates populate based on infrastructure and hunger doesn't destroy infra, to reduce population.

He's suggesting that starvation would destroy infrastructure instead of what it currently does, which is merely reduce monetary income by 33%

• Upvote 1

Starvation should really only temporarily increase the incidence of disease and decrease the population that way, which is in effect what currently already happens with the 33% gross income penalty. Maybe to make it more realistic, instead of the income penalty when a nation is starving, it accumulates disease in each city that reduces the population by a third and gradually reduces once the nation acquires food.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Erland said:

Starvation should really only temporarily increase the incidence of disease and decrease the population that way, which is in effect what currently already happens with the 33% gross income penalty. Maybe to make it more realistic, instead of the income penalty when a nation is starving, it accumulates disease in each city that reduces the population by a third and gradually reduces once the nation acquires food.

I can get behind that suggestion.

8 hours ago, Erland said:

Yeah, I think this makes sense.  Gradual penalty and not permanent.  Then the populace has to gradually get healthy so the disease has a cool down effect.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:13 AM, Erland said:

This is incredibly realistic I like that idea.  

• Upvote 1

I hold the Right to my own Fate

yUpP2fl.jpg