Please allow html5 extensions within [img][/img]

Ayayay

The .gif file extension is over 30 years old and as such really shouldn't be one the only way to post animated images on the forums. In fact, most image hosts have been converting .gif files to .mp4 or .webm when uploaded for years now. The only problem is that the forums do not allow them to be used with the [img ] bbcode meaning the only alternative is uploading a soundless video to youtube for larger gifs.

Please allow us to use image extensions that end with .gifv from imgur as well as .mp4 or .webm.

Edited by Malal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• 1 year later...

Bump

• Like 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

As an official representative of the Game Suggestions subforums, wouldn't this be better off there rather than here?

Also, if it's a forum request, I believe @Alex has no control over that. Confirm please, Alex?

But besides from that it sounds like a wonderful idea that would be graciously accepted.

• Upvote 1
inb4 new spy operation “Plane Hijack”

This is the 21000th post in this subform and I'm fine with it.

TRI-poloski.jpg

15 hours ago, Ivan Ivanov said:

Also, if it's a forum request, I believe @Alex has no control over that. Confirm please, Alex?

It's supported by the forum software. Sheepy just needs to allow it in the admin panel.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-videos-r1071/?tab=comments#comment-206039

Edit: I think the link is for uploads, not embeds. Probably also a setting somewhere to allow it as embeds, though.

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

If the animation you want to use is a video file, you could just do a bunch of screenshots and make them into a gif with photoshop. Although being able to post videos which aren't on youtube and you have a direct link to the video file would be pretty cool.

Alex has control over the forums - he's the damn owner.

If I still was a mod and had admin, I'd help y'all out - cuz I agree we need to be brought. HTML5 is supported by every major browser, better than using mp4 and webm - not to mention nearly every site in the world (that knows wtf they are doing) will utilize html5 within their content/webpage. Thats why my site has it - it just makes sense.

You'll likely need to allow it - if allowable on this version. I know when operating as mod capacity, these forums were rarely updated with the recent versions from IPS. OR install a plugin allowing the posts. If having to apply to a post via attachments, the attachment capacity would need to be increased for members to allow. 

The current capacity is capped extremely low and forces you to remove previously uploaded attachments if you meet that cap - thus rendering any visuals on important posts useless.

• Administrators

From what I can see, IPS 4.3x allows you to upload these different video formats: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-videos-r1071/

Here's me attempting it with a .mp4 which appears to work fine. Is it a permissions issue that regular forum users are unable to upload videos?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 4/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

If the animation you want to use is a video file, you could just do a bunch of screenshots and make them into a gif with photoshop. Although being able to post videos which aren't on youtube and you have a direct link to the video file would be pretty cool.

The problem is size, quality, and speed. Gifs are larger, generally less detailed, and load like a fat elephant trying to climb a tree. Photoshop also allows only 500 frames for importing and even then it might fail because Photoshop isn't really meant to create large gifs.

The reason I know this and why this thread was even created.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

From what I can see, IPS 4.3x allows you to upload these different video formats: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-videos-r1071/

Here's me attempting it with a .mp4 which appears to work fine. Is it a permissions issue that regular forum users are unable to upload videos?

We can only upload, not link. On top of that we are only allowed to upload a bit over half a MB, which is small enough to be pointless. Correction, our attachment limit is actually 0.65mb and that's for all our posts. (Apparently I had a single picture I uploaded a while ago that was ~80kb which lowered it to a bit over half a MB) Your sample video is 2MB, 4 times what we are allowed to upload, despite looking like trash (compare the quality of the sample to the youtube version of it). 

I doubt you want to risk people constantly uploading 5MB attachments and destroying whatever storage allowance your hosting service provides after all. Embedding lets you offload the storage to Youtube, Imgur, Vimeo, whoever and you don't have to worry about it.

Edited by Malal
  • Like 1

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Malal said:

I doubt you want to risk people constantly uploading 5MB attachments and destroying whatever storage allowance your hosting service provides after all. Embedding lets you offload the storage to Youtube, Imgur, Vimeo, whoever and you don't have to worry about it. 

I would much prefer embedding and I have no issue with it, I couldn't figure out how to get the forum software to enable it, however.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I would much prefer embedding and I have no issue with it, I couldn't figure out how to get the forum software to enable it, however.

You'd probably need a custom plugin that I'm sure exists, I couldn't direct you to one though.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9037-external-links-rich-embed/

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8838-embed-enhancements/

This also depends on which version currently is running @Alex - IPS makes updates to their embed features pretty frequently and there is a way to allow embed for groups within admin cp - these should be supported through the IPS Embed system - I say should, because changes to API cause changes in what third party sources end up being supported. For example, Imgur was supported for a while, then they weren't then they were.

• College Humor
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Gfycat
  • Google+
  • Hulu
  • Instagram
  • SoundCloud
  • Spotify
  • Ted
  • Twitter
  • Vimeo
  • Vine
  • YouTube

I'd try upgrading the forums, correcting some permissions, and checking out the IPS embed features vs paying cash out of pocket for a plugin first though.