New Nations Don't Get Affected by the Radiation

Darth Revan

Title says it all. If you start playing the game and see no way to grow food and the level of food prices as they are now...it could be intimidating for a newbie.  While they are on their 14 day (or however long it is) initial beige protection let them be exempt from the radiation effects. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Not a bad idea, first 30 days or so.  Although this situation doesn't happen more than a few times a year, or lately once or less a year.

19 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Not a bad idea, though if the new player's first instinct isn't to ask for help then P&W probably isn't the right game for them anyway.

One look at alliances below about rank 60 or so will show that there are seemingly many new players who do not take this approach of asking for guidance.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cüm Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

Mmm, might be good to have them live in a lead-lined bubble for the first 30 days at least so they're not adversely affected by the wartime nuclear winter. So yeah, I think Placentica's idea is a good timeframe for it.

• Upvote 1

I agree with either this 30 day (for new players) or placing a cap on food production loss at -90% or similar (For Everyone)

i've had to explain the situation to my new player members as all of them had farms not even realizing that they were doing nothing since the starter food covers you for a few days to a week or so (depending on growth rate).

On 4/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, Felkey said:

Why would new people with 1000/1500 land at best have farms in the first place...

Because that's one of the first things they think to buy, most new players don't understand the mechanics of Farms, or how they could just produce goods export them and import more food then they can produce, or how consolidating resources in each town instead of spreading them out gives bonus production. they just think i need to make food. farms = food. done. 90% of the new players (especially the ones without alliances) have farms right now not realizing they produce nothing because they have no idea about radiation.

Edited by ukunaka
  • Upvote 2

Maybe make them exempt from needing food a while? "As a new nation, your citizens are being fed by foreign aid" or some nonsense like that?

That way they can't produce or sell it if the market wouldn't allow it, but they're also insulated from the possible effects of joining at a bad time?

Edited by Spaceman Thrax
  • Upvote 2

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

The easiest solution would just be to start off new nations with 10,000 food. Should be enough to last them a while and not be bothered about buying food or farming.

A little more intelligent would be to inversely tie the free food to global radiation index.

On 4/5/2018 at 6:53 AM, ukunaka said:

Because that's one of the first things they think to buy, most new players don't understand the mechanics of Farms, or how they could just produce goods export them and import more food then they can produce, or how consolidating resources in each town instead of spreading them out gives bonus production. they just think i need to make food. farms = food. done. 90% of the new players (especially the ones without alliances) have farms right now not realizing they produce nothing because they have no idea about radiation.

Well that's more of a tutorial/education issue and a lack of understanding should not be rewarded. Perhaps a quick addition to the in game tutorial could fix this?

I kinda like thrax's idea that way instead of just giving them like 10k food (which they might just sell off) they have time to join an alliance and (forgive me...) git gud.

Edited by Felkey

• 3 weeks later...