Suggestion regarding nuke damage

kosmokenny

3 minutes ago, kosmokenny said:

Ok, under the current system, how can a small group strategize to beat a much bigger group and maintain their independence?  Do let me know if you figure that out, because right now it stands that he killed the only feasible asymmetric warfare option.

Maybe you should just git gud then? What your saying is that your current level of alliance skill is insufficient, so just, do better?

1 minute ago, kosmokenny said:

Duh.  But our nukes werent meant to make us stronger in our ability to go after EMC or whoever else, they were made so we could defend ourselves from EMC or whoever, so we could be independent of the two sphere bullshit, #dynamic.  Now we cant be.

Do you really believe no one attacked you because you have nukes? lol

Maybe nukes were scary 2 years ago when the whales had 15 cities, now there are alliances with 30-40 players over 18 cities who can do more damage with infrabombing/naval attacks than your nukes

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Micchan said:

Do you really believe no one attacked you because you have nukes? lol

Maybe nukes were scary 2 years ago when the whales had 15 cities, now there are alliances with 30-40 players over 18 cities who can do more damage with infrabombing/naval attacks than your nukes

The only thing scary about nukes now a days is thinking of your upkeep with so many stockpiled all the time.

• Upvote 2

eastwood.jpg

6 hours ago, kosmokenny said:

Nah, I nuked a 4k infra city and did 1800 damage on attrition.  Thats bunk.

I'm pretty sure he has capped nuke damage at 2000 infra. At least that is what it said when I was nuking 3K infra cities.

2 hours ago, durmij said:

Parsing through the banter and politics, it is horrible game design to change the conditions of a game without informing your playerbase, especially making a change that negates the benefits of so many sunken costs. Hopefully Alex can come to a solution to mitigate the immediate affects of this before working on a new balance state for nukes.

Well he could increase or remove the damage cap. Nukes are supposed to blow shit up, having them capped at 2K infra is rather silly.

• Upvote 1

it's good to see the usual trolls, douche bags and retards stopping by the thread. You chump stains never fail to disappoint.

/whoo 69 posts!
//i hereby retire from forum posting

Edited by rollo
because my balls itch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

STFU

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Who Me said:

Well he could increase or remove the damage cap. Nukes are supposed to blow shit up, having them capped at 2K infra is rather silly.

It's not strictly a hard cap, the limit is 2,000 or their (Infrastructure * 135)/Land.

I do understand in practice though that anyone you're nuking probably has a lot of land.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's not strictly a hard cap, the limit is 2,000 or their (Infrastructure * 135)/Land.

I do understand in practice though that anyone you're nuking probably has a lot of land.

how does that equation work, because looking at my largest cities its (3000x135)/4520= 89, but the nukes so far do around 1800-1850 infra damage.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Henrich said:

Too many pages to go through so I'm sorry if this suggestion was already proposed:

Maybe if you didn't act like a total prick "1 billion" people wouldn't want to roll you kosmo.

4 is too many? Gosh, what do you do with 5?

Edited by Maverick0984
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, kosmokenny said:

Ok, under the current system, how can a small group strategize to beat a much bigger group and maintain their independence?  Do let me know if you figure that out, because right now it stands that he killed the only feasible asymmetric warfare option.

They can't. And he did. This post is factually accurate.

But that's not because of nukes doing less damage; it's because of the fortification changes. It used to be that the weaker side in a conflict could choose to make war against them unsustainable and still have options to fight back in a way that scaled up with the wealth and power of their opponent, IF they remained active and competent enough to do so. Anyone that chose to could play carefully, actively and competently, and ultimately close the power gap between themselves and arbitrarily stronger opponents through long and arduous attrition. I proved that several times over in my personal solo wars against Apocalypse Meow, The Royal Dragons, and Zodiac. It wasn't easy, and it wasn't cheap, and it basically stonewalled my development, but I was still pulling off the asymmetric warfare, hitting as hard as I got hit. Nobody else ever even tried that strategy, though, which is a shame; a vast and ignorant playerbase shilled Alex into removing the best hope your bloc and the game as a whole had of ever having truly sustainable balance.

Now, there is indeed no way to maintain any asymmetric warfare. All the options are under the control of the wealthier, stronger, more numerous side. Not only can a stronger side produce more, but they can destroy more stuff more efficiently on top of that, making warfare expand and indeed accelerate the gap in wealth and power between the strong and weak rather than close it. This is a problem, and I've been going on and on and on and on about it for months now, explaining how bad the situation could easily become. Well, guys, it's happening.

Even if fortification changes in the way Alex has suggested recently, the problem will remain. Arbitrarily more powerful factions can still both destroy and produce resources more efficiently than weaker factions, without fear of guerilla warfare turning the tables, and thus they can, should, and must go to war and stay at war, so that their position of power is more secure and their power less contested. If they don't, they could get perma'd themselves and prevented from even playing at all. The stakes are too high for anyone to do any less.

This also means that *all* factions must be as powerful and wealthy as they can possibly be, by any means whatsoever. This can very well include optimizing economic output, merging, signing treaties, warring against weaker sides, cooperating alongside stronger ones, perma-warring anyone outside of their sphere, bullying noobs, harassment, and even up to behaviors so toxic and implausible that I won't describe them here.

tl;dr: @Alex please implement the unlootable resource minimums. It won't fix everything but it'll open up options for players that otherwise won't have options other than to contribute to the game dying

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

6 hours ago, durmij said:

The update was posted when, 3 weeks ago? 4? I lost track. But the point is, a ton of effort and resources where already sunk into nukes at that point. You can just negate an entire strategy that people have invested so heavily in and still call it a fairly designed game.

And in a previous update nukes were changed such that they no longer beiged players, favoring the nuclear bloc immensely.

Updates giveth and updates taketh. Whine is eternal.

• Upvote 5
77oKn5K.png

5 hours ago, kosmokenny said:

And you think this is fair?  Again, see my previous post.

I would just like to point out this is a game where people are going to try and maximize their advantages. The rules everyone plays by are the same, so your inability to maximize your own advantages is entirely your own fault. Some updates are going to be beneficial to your plans, some aren't, but whining about them instead of taking the situation you're given and maximizing it to how you want to play just sounds like somebody wanting to eat their cake and have it too.

• Upvote 1

I don't sleep enough

Also, I am an Keynesian Utilitarian

Lastly, Hello world

No, the rules everyone plays by arent the same.  You play on easy mode and only go to war when you outnumber someone 5 to 1, and then you all sit there thinking that makes you good.  Fark doesnt get the option to play by those rules, nor would we be interested in playing that cowardly of a role.  I dont know how you have any fun with that.  I accidentally got Fark in that situation a couple months ago with Roz Wei when they hit SGM and everyone and their mother lined up to hit RW too, and it was lame as hell.  Roz and I sure as hell have polar ideas about everything in the world, but I damn sure didnt sit there and gloat over him with "git gud" bullshit like you guys do.  Of course any game like this is going to favor your easy mode ways, but it shouldnt do that by ripping the rug out from people who found a viable alternate path.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, kosmokenny said:

No, the rules everyone plays by arent the same.  You play on easy mode and only go to war when you outnumber someone 5 to 1, and then you all sit there thinking that makes you good.  Fark doesnt get the option to play by those rules, nor would we be interested in playing that cowardly of a role.  I dont know how you have any fun with that.  I accidentally got Fark in that situation a couple months ago with Roz Wei when they hit SGM and everyone and their mother lined up to hit RW too, and it was lame as hell.  Roz and I sure as hell have polar ideas about everything in the world, but I damn sure didnt sit there and gloat over him with "git gud" bullshit like you guys do.  Of course any game like this is going to favor your easy mode ways, but it shouldnt do that by ripping the rug out from people who found a viable alternate path.

No, the rules are the same for everyone. How we choose to act is different, but the underlying rules are still the same. That they so dramatically favor those that choose to play on 'easy mode', as you put it, doesn't change that.

It may be cowardly to consolidate and only fight 5 on 1, perhaps, but the stakes are too high to risk anything else. That's a problem that can only be solved by there being options to compete despite a vast difference in industrial, economic, and tiering power, rather than having those be the only means by which competition can exist. I've said that before

This thread is basically Kosmo running off of his leash and doing childish name-calling against people for the sole reason that they are losing because NB are filled with score-inflated nuke hoarders with 5 cities less than their enemies, who also happen to have a proper military, and are losing due to this. There's a difference between being beaten up because you're not being strategic and how many times NB will continue to whine because they're beginning to realise they cant keep winning wars by just lobbing nukes at people who can easily beat them because they have a proper military. If Kosmo, Fark, and the rest of NB bothered to learn to play this game rather than relying on pressing two buttons every 12 turns until they get defeated, they might realise this game is fun to ACTUALLY play.

• Upvote 1

LTcxGHN.jpg

7 hours ago, kosmokenny said:

Seriously, youve taken away the only means a smaller group had to defend itself from the much larger spheres in the game.  So kill of our sphere, turn the game back into a two sphere system where nobody does anything besides occasionally pick on IQ, who are too far beneath the other groups to do anything to them.  Great work.

By "pick on," you mean try to get them to get gud, eventually right? I'm sure that's what you intended to type. *Ahem,* 

What about "KT sphere/bloc?" IQ came "picking" on us, but we're doing pretty alright, all things considered. It's never a two-way street on Orbis m8.

"The happiness of the people, and the peace of the empire, and the glory of the reign are linked with the fortune of the Army."

Woke up this morning...hard to see outside through the omni-present cloud of uranium/dead-people dust. Anyone have any Hamburger Helper or perhaps a case of Ramen Noodles for sale?

• Upvote 1

Registered slot thief

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

5 minutes ago, Mikalus II said:

Woke up this morning...hard to see outside through the omni-present cloud of uranium/dead-people dust. Anyone have any Hamburger Helper or perhaps a case of Ramen Noodles for sale?

As per the guide, the first thing you need to do is head for your nearest shelter and get your pipboy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kosmokenny said:

You do realize emc went to war in trail of tiers out numbered 3:2 don't you?

Also Roz doesn't usually go across multiple threads whining how unfair life is.

Edited by Felkey
  • Upvote 6