Eliminating the Double Buy

Alex

It also eliminates any possibility for a large nation to even think about trying to hit back the plethora of smaller nations that can declare war on them, who they cannot touch.  It would also probably make it more difficult to turn wars around, but we would have to test it out first.

• Upvote 4

Not sure if I got it, example

If I do a downdeclare before the update I can buy max units (let's say 120k soldiers) but after the update I can only add 10k soldiers? And to be able to buy the 120k soldiers of thay day I have to wait 12 turns?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, rapmanej said:

Emphasis mine. We already did a while back. (think last summer or sometime before that). It was a disaster, hence the reason the changes were first abandoned. It offers no hope to turn wars around, and was generally an unpleasant experience. Strategy wise, this was paired with removing caps for military improvements, and a further discussed idea of creating a market for military units. I could see trying that again with that last parameter, but I have extreme doubts. 

Unfortunately, without that change, (and coupled with fortify being nerfed out of existence) this just becomes a way for aggressors to win wars without having to plan a strategy. At least a well executed double buy gave nations a chance to claw their way back. 

Gotcha. So screw it then, unless there's also accompanying changes that may get at the rest of that? I do still very much like the idea of eliminating that critical period for activity, if it can be teased out, somehow.

Edit: Also, thanks for catching me up. I was wondering why the idea seemed so ill received by people haha.

Edited by Spaceman Thrax

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

Sure, make it so propaganda bureau gibs you 1 extra turn so, 14/12 at update.

Also makes it so you have to top off military if you don't get 0'd out.

More logins=more traffic.

• Upvote 3

What about 2 updates per day (only for military)?

If before your max soldiers per day was 100k now could be 60k 00:00-12:00 and 60k 12:00-24:00, more units per day but not all at the same time reducing the power of the downdeclares and giving more ability to fight back if you were unable to be online at the update

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Thrax said:

Gotcha. So screw it then, unless there's also accompanying changes that may get at the rest of that? I do still very much like the idea of eliminating that critical period for activity, if it can be teased out, somehow.

Edit: Also, thanks for catching me up. I was wondering why the idea seemed so ill received by people haha.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so strongly against it if it wasn't already tested before and soundly rejected.  

That being said, I'd be willing to give it another shot with a more active Test participation, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and certainly not without accompanying changes.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

This proposal is pretty straightforward. It would serve two purposes:

1) Eliminates the "Double Buy"

2) Eliminates the need to do blitzes at the game's midnight. The game mechanics would no longer be reliant on that specific hour change.

How it would work:

I'm going to use Soldiers as an example. Every day, you can buy 1000 Soldiers per Barracks. Under this proposed change, you would instead be able to buy 83 (1000/12) Soldiers per Barracks per turn. This would stack up to 12 turns (1 day) for a total of 1000 Soldiers per day.

So you would have some 'reserve' of units that could be recruited instantly, and each turn that would increase by 1/12 of the daily amount, capped at 12/12 of the daily amount.

It would make sense to do a slight tweak to unit numbers to account for dividing by 12, I.E. Barracks allow you to recruit 1,200 instead of 1,000 soldiers per day, meaning +100 per turn instead of +83.3 per turn.

This has been proposed, and I think was mostly well received. I want to bring it back up again for further consideration.

This  or something similar would be good as the game is too update-centric. For a lot of time zones as mentioned, it's very inconvenient. Even in the US, for a lot of people, it's still hours where they probably having something else going on. For instance, even with Daylight savings, it's 5 PM on the west coast. Is someone expected to always somehow be able to make room for it IRL? It's important to consider this with the buff to fortify's attacking casualties.

This isn't exactly like the stacking system tested  two summers ago since the stacking system was actually more favorable to waiting around and stacking if you got attacked and it was along with buffing infra as part of score.

It doesn't need to be per turn necessarily but being able to buy the full amounts right before and after update disproportionately favors people who can be online at update and it's a flaw with the game many have mentioned before.

Edited by Roquentin
  • Upvote 5

Guest Curufinwe
Just now, Codonian said:

I actually like this idea HOWEVER, it obviously needs to be tested in the appropriate server beforehand. No more trial changes or untested ones if possible.

That

I dont know how hard this would be to code in, but can you make it so that players can set their military reset time to a time of their choosing?  So if game update is at 5am for someone, they can change the time that their military rebuy occurs to be say 5pm instead of 5am.  and make it something that can be changed like your nation location or gov type. 

Then you can also charge credits if you want to change it again (it would have to be on a 12 turn delay as to not abuse it) 

This would actually add a new layer of strategy to war.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Alex said:

This proposal is pretty straightforward. It would serve two purposes:

1) Eliminates the "Double Buy"

2) Eliminates the need to do blitzes at the game's midnight. The game mechanics would no longer be reliant on that specific hour change.

How it would work:

I'm going to use Soldiers as an example. Every day, you can buy 1000 Soldiers per Barracks. Under this proposed change, you would instead be able to buy 83 (1000/12) Soldiers per Barracks per turn. This would stack up to 12 turns (1 day) for a total of 1000 Soldiers per day.

So you would have some 'reserve' of units that could be recruited instantly, and each turn that would increase by 1/12 of the daily amount, capped at 12/12 of the daily amount.

It would make sense to do a slight tweak to unit numbers to account for dividing by 12, I.E. Barracks allow you to recruit 1,200 instead of 1,000 soldiers per day, meaning +100 per turn instead of +83.3 per turn.

This has been proposed, and I think was mostly well received. I want to bring it back up again for further consideration.

This is actually a fantastic idea that increases the flexibility of some of the alliances with lots of players. It would need to be play tested, sure, but this in essence allows large alliances to decide when they go to war. We have people all over the world, and cant rely on people logging in at 1-6 am in the morning to declare on war. So this optimizes the process.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just because a group of alliances can't utilise the tactic to save their lives doesn't mean it should be changed.

If an alliance cannot co-ordinate a blitz during update time and utilise the double-buy, that's because they lack communication/commitment with one-another. Every alliance, unless your some kind of supremacist(can't think of the word), has member nations from around the globe. It's a problem best left for alliances to deal with, not have another *fix* implemented. You've already removed fortify which will be detrimental to defenders when they get blitzed, so I don't see the need to change this when winning an offensive war is the easiest its ever been.

To be fair, and argue on the other side, the Time Zone difference is an issue, but it will always be an issue.  Remember when the server time changed at midnight EST?  It was reduced to 7pm EST to cater to the more primetime American crowd.  

If anything, @Sweeeeet Ronny D's suggestion holds the most sense in this regard, but how would that not be exploited would be the next issue.

We've been in this game long enough to see various alliances (Both small and large) utilize this at blitz, but not many utilize it throughout the war because of the stress it has on resources.  Players would rather dump their resources instead of continuing the fight most of the time (There's also other stuff related to this, such as alliances hoarding resources or players not utilizing their full military slots - like Navy - to prevent blockades which could send much needed resource aid to help them back up).

• Upvote 2