Tolerance for LGBT down, Trump blamed... but is it so?

Rozalia

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/01/25/tolerance-takes-hit-americans-less-accepting-lgbt-people-2017-survey-shows/1062188001/

So it's down for the first time in 4 years... so it went down during Obama too... but whatever. Let me first point out why the premise they lead with is I believe incorrect. They list 4 bullet points, they being GLAAD, whose name used to be an acronym... but then they thought it wasn't inclusive so they got rid of it... anyway...

Among issues cited by GLAAD in 2017:

• LGBT content was scrubbed from White House, Department of State and Department of Labor websites shortly after the Inauguration.

• In February, the Justice and Education departments reversed guidance the Obama administration had issued that said Title IX protected the rights of transgender students to use facilities that match their gender identity. 

• In July, President Trump proposed a ban on transgender people from serving in the military, a challenge that was eventually dropped by the administration. 

• It was announced last week that the Department of Health and Human Services will create a division that shields health care workers who refuse to treat patients such as LGBT people because of religious beliefs.

The first is meaningless. Yes, people will become less tolerant because LGBT content was removed from some websites. The second I would think have the opposite effect as the whole bathroom thing was only drumming up distaste. The third didn't happen... and the forth was last week so... would have no effect on the results here. 

It's final effort is to claim a massive uptick in hate killing on homosexuals, up 86%... all the way up to 52 deaths. Dubious on the linkage there. 

Now that was their part and if you disagree with me you're free to push it. My answer is different. The reason why they suffered this small dip, and it could be regained next year or continue to slide... we'll see... is to me more a product of the mess LGBT has become. I'd compare it to Feminism which today, for all the favourable press it gets mainstream, has horrible numbers among both men and women. When you put it on too much, people will begin to reject it. Simple as that.

Who knows everything LGBTQQIP2SAA stands for? How about the delightful QUILTBAG? GSM? DSG? Heck, many I've talked to have trouble simply with the Q and if they know it then they don't understand it (!@#$? But isn't that just being gay?). How about skoliosexual and all the maaaaaaaany others? How about the concept of people who have sex with people of the same gender as them... but are heterosexual? 

In the face of all that sort of stuff the positive idea that LGB people are simply normal people who like to have sex a little differently so to speak, gets replaced with them being weirdos you don't want to keep your children around via their partaking/association with these other people. As for the T in LGBT, they get lumped with all sorts like the third genders, the Transgenders, and all the rest which does them no favours.

Now, to repeat, this is a small difference that may well climb back up next year. However I think this is worth discussing as this effect could be felt in 10 years time bigly, that being how by endlessly expanding to get off on your virtue will only put off the people ultimately you need to win over. Anybody remember that said effort to have the rainbow flag, a glorious and very well known flag, to have black and brown bars on it because... save the blacks and browns? The people who did it loved it... while everybody else despised it.

Less is more as they say. 

• Upvote 1

I think Americans, and people in general, are just starting to see the slippery slope has no end point. First, it was acceptance for Bisexuals and Homosexuals which I think most people find reasonable. Then, it is acceptance for Trans, which is on a lot shakier ground. Now, it is acceptance for grown men pretending to be little girls. People claiming to not even be human with the whole -kin nonsense. People claiming you can be a girl at 2pm and a boy at 3. There's even a push for accepting pedophilia on the basis of it being just another orientation. Mainstreaming robot love won't be too far behind with the explosion of the sex robot industry. Where is the end point?

On top of this, you have people from the LGBwhatever crowd attempting to control the language, and stifling freedom of speech. They scary part is people believe their drivel and are passing laws taking rights away in the name of "social justice" and "respect". 

Of course one could argue that those saying the above are just from a vocal minority; they don't represent the movement. Which, of course, makes sense. However, my follow up would be "where's the disavowal?", considering no one in the movement is attempting to shout these people down. 

The above, added with things like pride parades and the general fear most have when discussing any of these issues publicly, turns people off. These stats aren't surprising. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking as being transgender myself, i think you got it pretty good. 

I know like, maybe 7 of the... 70 or something genders. is it 70? It's not more is it? i don't honestly know. Of the 7 i 'know' i only really understand 2 (male and female), and beyond that don't really get them. All the ridiculous extra genders and the sensitivity of made up pronouns is killing everybody's capacity to give a damn. People can at least kind of understand "Born boy, wants to be girl", but nobody has any idea what a 'Hijra' is. Or pangender. I certainly don't, and i'm supposedly part of the 'class' they're in.

As for the 'slippery slope', there is actually scientific evidence that being transgender is an actual thing beyond some sort of minor self delusion. This is obviously a very young field of study, yet the general leaning is towards it being more than just a mental condition. 

That crowd is mostly people who probably actually are crazy. You'll find plenty like me, who honestly don't really care what you call us as long as you're being respectful about it and not an ass. 

There's no disavowal because on the whole, feminism is fractured into different groups nobody can keep track of, many of whom hate each other, and LGBT(whats the rest?) is so accepting and tolerant that it becomes a bad thing, and let's in bad people, with little self policing or backbone. Unfortunately the only disavowal you're likely to see are from people like me, who fall into a class the group advocates for, but do not ourselves particularly like said group.

I am also not surprised they are dropping. The groups advocating the rights of people like myself are making it too big a deal. It's 0.3% of the population at a generous estimate, and all your advocation really needs to be is "These are people, like all people you know they are different from you. Treat them like you would any normal person, and they will (or should) do the same." 
Or really, just try not stone walling everything. It can't go all their way, which is what they try to do. Make concessions. Easy concession? Don't be a nazi over pronouns. Makes my life 50000x easier. It's true. I did the math. 

I naturally assume as science continue to look into it and come closer to a true, 'final verdict' as it were that the numbers will fall in line accordingly over time. Certainly did gay rights alot of good when science said "Hey, actually, there's a pretty notable genetic component to this and it's not just choice or corruption by Satan.", if the case is the same here, results will likely mirror in time. 

• Upvote 1