World Bank initiative

Utter Nutter

2 hours ago, Jeremy Graham said:

If you read the discussion, half of them are talking about inflation caused by money generated through code in different cases. So... yeah, it's not Seb and his alliance taking over the world with this magical bank. Not trying to be rude, but you should probably re-read some of the posts that have been made. 

And your point is? I don't think I mentioned anything about inflation in my response to Long Shanks, just that it would be automated (as he thought it was controlled by Seb and his alliance). No need to parrot your point to everyone, because it's been discussed at length by other players. 

What are the effects of inflation that you have in mind? Just curious. 

to add to the inflation concern, it would require a 5b investment to produce 10m a day. I think I read somewhere that there is currently 80b worth of liquid money flying around Orbis, if all of that were to be deposited in the bank (very unlikely) it would produce the same money than 15 nations of 15 cities each can already produce.

just to add figures, the top alliance at 100% tax must be making over 400m a day overall. and thats just 1 single alliance.

how much money would it take to equal 1 alliance's income to add to this inflation? 200 billion

so the inflation of new money generated is not really that big in an Orbis wide scale

2 hours ago, Seb said:

dude, you are taking things way to personal here, go keep your private bank and make your profits, I only see 2 people arguing against this. this two people have 6 and 7 cities and are new to the game.

I also see 1 private bank owner trying to discredit the proposal, you made your point, as weak as it sounds, tis time to let others comment it.

The reason no one else is commenting is that Psweet (and others) have already made perfectly good points explaining why this is a terrible idea and you haven't even attempted to address them, but have instead just cried bias.

• Upvote 2

• Wiki Mod
On 1/13/2018 at 1:00 PM, Seb said:

the funds would be coded back in if you are in a war at the same time the CD expires and you happen to forget to renew it.

it would be a negligence of the player.

and this CDs can be bought in a set day of the month, lets say 1st of every month, or the first 2 days of every month. If you don't invest it then, you miss your chance and gotta wait another month. That way you reduce the chances of it being an exploited system.

but if you are so worried about exploits, tell me what exactly are you afraid of and how would you fix it, this thread is to find out opinions and all this failsafe mechs that could be implemented to make it good.

1. private banks already have that source of extra money, so this would be an alternative to this private banks.

2. why does all money have to have a risk? I don't see why it can't be risk free with a very low income source.

3. how would blockades affect it?

4. I guess you could hide that money but it would only be available for withdrawal once a month

5. the code would prevent such a thing because the loan would only get them 1 more city and would have a payback automated system for 30, 60 or 90 days.

6.to have negative income you would need to be at war and your infraestructure destroyed, I think that in the case of the nation being at war, a pause on paying the loan could be coded in, private banks have this rule too, where nations don't have to pay their loans while they are at war.

7. that just doesn't make sense unless you have absolutely no infraestructure, but I guess that if you can't pay the loan, you will never be out of debt and 1 city is all you will ever get out of the bank. in the excel sheet I sent I made an example of a 100m loan (for a nation buying its 14th city) in which the nation would have to pay 2m a day of the loan (if the interests were 0.5% daily or 3.5% weekly) a nation with 14 cities can easily make twice that much money.

lets say you want to buy your 10th city, that loan would then be 40m at most, so your payment would be less than 1m a day for a 60 day period. a nation that doesn't make 1m a day at 10 cities is doing something incredibly wrong.

1. Private banks simply collect and redistribute money already in the game. What your suggesting is adding a new source of cash into the game without a matching drain. See inflation.

2. Because we are trying to play politics and war which is a game, not play watch numbers grow bigger on a spreadsheet.

3. The point is you need to specify how blockade mechanics will effect this. This is needed both to address exploits, and also a chance to add interesting features to your module.

4. The withdraw time isn't really meaningful to the issue, which is money being spirited away from looting into an untouchable bank.

5. A. You have now said something completely different from your op so which is it. In any case you haven't actually addressed any of the issues with newbie growth rates being tinkered with. We already have a hang up after the end of objectives and a lot nations quit at that point. Your suggestion creates a worse hang up in that improperly used this can leave a new nation with basically no income.

6. & 7. Pwseet already addressed the other playstyles thing but missed a rather glaring exploit here. Okay, so assuming you implement this in the logical manner which is that loan payments are added as per turn expenses like every other expense. And right here we run into a bit of an issue, the game if your in negative income and out of cash simply forgives the extra debt. This is problem because certain whales are already at the point where it takes more then a month to save enough cash for a city. So with this module they could take out a 30 day loan that has payments that are higher then their income, and have the excess debt just disappear at the end of the 30 days. This essentially caps the price of a city to 30 days of your income.

8. New point, you have stated that you feel instant cash for rebuilds is a good thing. I would counter that it rather defeats the purpose of going to war as a rather large portion of the damage you do to an enemy is in the lost income during rebuilding.

9. New point, I have never heard a good argument for removing meta gameplay in favor of a hardcoded mechanic. 

• Upvote 6

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

4 hours ago, Seb said:

You are not making sense, this bank would just be part of the game code, not a private bank and not controlled by any player. no player would profit from anything except those investing.

you are again repeating something that doesn't make sense, I wouldn't control anything in the bank, it would be part of the game itself.

I get the feeling you are just trolling this post with nonesense

Also just to point out only due to someone having 6 or 7 cities and new to the game can still see the massive flaws within this and how it will massively effect the game in a bad way, no trolling was meant but my replies was to the level of the OP, complete silly and way off the mark.

Edited by Long Shanks
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Seb said:

I finally know why Psweet tries to sabotage everyone of my attempts, he is jealous

https://pastebin.com/2sXeu9ur

Psweet and Paul Warburg conspiring against me is the best news I have heard today

Awfully looks like you're trying to discredit critics of this plan without actually addressing their concerns. 

• Upvote 3

only my investors should be concerned about this, and they are allllll really happy.

funny thing is that Paul came work for me for a few months, he got paida commission for the loans while I managed them anyway because he was too lazy to do it himself.

then he decided to make a bank of his own over a year ago, so I gave him money at 2% interest so he could make a good difference and get started.

he would then loan at 5% to 9% and make a good profit with my own money.

I didn't care because I wanted to help him :) oh boy how wrong was I.

but oh well, you can't change the nature of people, ducks will be ducks

freer, you show up in that convo too, and you too are salty because you were a historic lame banker

keep burning yourself please, I having the day of the year

give me more

Edited by Seb
  • Downvote 6

Guest Frawley

Two main objections to this.

1. Real banks, government and development agencies take losses, and the countries that fund those entities take those losses too.  A true risk free return does not exist, and hard coding one in the game simply re-bases a zero return to whatever rate it is setup at.  If it were to be setup, it should run as a unit trust, with depositors 'buying in' to the bank, and selling out as the price changes dependent on loss rates and returns.

2. Alex shouldn't be adding features that replace functionality that is or can be easily provided by players.  However given that Alex knows that these features are provided by players, why couldn't he simply add a loan market to the game where buyers/sellers of money could locate each other easier, or as others have suggested, an organisations page.

Either way, if loan repayments to a bank are automated, they should be pre/post alliance tax at the alliances discretion.  You cannot pay debt from money you owe the tax office in the real world and that option should only be available if the alliance agrees to it.

Seb, some advice, may want to take a break.  You're not listening to criticism, instead you're seeing the opposition as bias.  That's a quick way to kill any possible support you could receive, and if it continues, it could also kill your reputation elsewhere too.

• Upvote 4

I actually think that a world bank for the purposes of stashing resources in a place that can't be touched by war is a good idea. It's already perfectly doable through players, but the thing is that players, by necessity, have interests and their own circumstances. It would be worthwhile and healthy for the game for there to be a bank that's expensive, but always available (outside of blockade, but perhaps accessible through normal bank transactions), consistent, and completely safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Wiki Mod

Should I take the lack of a response as concession of all points?

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid