Colony Re-Work/Adjustment

As per the rules only 5 colonies are allowed per nation

A colony being any piece of land not easily accessible by the Homeland (The stuff you claimed when you started)
However, when it comes to deal with Islands, Island chains, and other lands that are very disputable it should be noted it gets a bit hard to stay true to the rules

The General Rules that have fallen with Colonies are:

Island Chains (Indies) are considered one claim and one colony

Islands like Hawaii or the Canaries are considered one claim and one colony

Any piece of land not connected easily by land or by waters is considered a Colony

As such many nations have past their 5 colony limit, and should be given time to reduce their colonies down to size with each month (Moving land 4 per month) and very soon, the Colony limit will fall back into place, as this allows nations to choose what they want to give up within a reasonable time frame for all.

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

• Moderators

Question: is the islands near your continent? 

giphy.gif

If you see something you think is breaking the Forum Rules please click the report button, and I will get an email stating that a report has been sent. Thanks!

Suspended and have questions? You can contact me at my email at: [email protected]

I want to highlight, 

Some may argue I am over the 5 limit, but in theory, Quebec and Boston are both in the Northern region and can be easily connected. Lousiana I can accept that being a colony, Goa in India, and finally Greenland. That would be 4, since I am connected to The Baltics and Gibraltar via land routes, and they are accessible in Europe. Just to address the current issues that some may have brought up about me. 

Kind regards, 

If nations are above it, and we can define what it clearly is then giving them time to move provinces around or allowing a one-time free moving could work. 

• Moderators

Going through the map, 

Mogar has 7 colonies. By the rules, Mogar only has to remove 2 colonies.

Hunter - you have 6 colonies. 1 would need to be removed to fit the current rules

So what should we do, since the claims were already added, and should of been caught by the players controlling the map. I am not sure why it was just noticed, and a part of me says to not take any actions, but can't do that eh?. 

So let's come up with a compromise. 

I'm willing to allow islands to be apart of a colony on the mainland on the exception the island is nearby the continent the colony is on. This will lower Mogar's colony count to 6, so only 1 colony needs to be removed via gifting or moving all provinces, for Hunter, we can either A) Gift his provinces he no longer wants to a player of his choice as a one time "transaction" or move the provinces to remove the colony and keep his province count. 

If this doesn't feel fair, please reply and come up with a different compromise or solution. I am willing to listen to all of yall.

giphy.gif

If you see something you think is breaking the Forum Rules please click the report button, and I will get an email stating that a report has been sent. Thanks!

Suspended and have questions? You can contact me at my email at: [email protected]

5 minutes ago, Erin Brockovich said:

-Snip-

It should be noted Mogar also has a another colony not on the map yet(Pacific Islands which are between the Americas and Asia) but it hasn't been added due to the fact I haven't updated the map.

The reason this problem is here is due to the fact I fell a bit behind with the map due to rl things, and once this is sorted out will make sure it doesn't happen again so apologies on my part.

IYT09l4.png

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

• Moderators

To get the colonies there, Mogar would need to give up another colony to be able to get the colony he/she is wanting, but as of now, Mogar only would need to remove 1 if we agree to the compromises I suggested

giphy.gif

• Moderators

If the islands are near you homeland, I do not consider that as colony.

Islands near your colonies on the mainland will not be counted as a separate colony.

The only Islands that would be considered as its own colony would be the Hawaiian Islands because its distance from North America and Asia. 

However that only applies to the small islands. Islands like New Zealand, will be considered as separate colonies due to the size of the provinces. 

giphy.gif

So then in actuality all I would have to do to be in compliance is add the Sinai to the land being loaned to Egypt and then isn't actually an issue at all.
Hawaii + Polynesia
Central America + Indies
South America
Morocco + Canarys
Yemen/Somalia

Edited by Mogar

• Moderators

GwThdiP.png

I tried my best with the no artistic skill in my bone. 

With the way I had to do the compromised with islands and how colonies worked, it made it where any provinces not touching would be considered as a separate colony.

Now, we need to find guidelines that are more effective, no? So lets brainstorm and lets drop some ideas, because ultimately you guys are the one's using this subforums, so i will let y'all decide what the guideline should be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

giphy.gif

53 minutes ago, Erin Brockovich said:

Hide contents

GwThdiP.png

I tried my best with the no artistic skill in my bone. 

With the way I had to do the compromised with islands and how colonies worked, it made it where any provinces not touching would be considered as a separate colony.

Now, we need to find guidelines that are more effective, no? So lets brainstorm and lets drop some ideas, because ultimately you guys are the one's using this subforums, so i will let y'all decide what the guideline should be. 

Ill have to disagree with Cuba and their Islands being colonies due to how close it is, Colonies should be considered colonies by distance.

The top islands above Sweden "Who's are these" is Laurentia

The majority of the community I believe has said the Pacific Islands counts as 1 province

IYT09l4.png

Last I checked the Pacific was 2 provinces in regard to the far left side of the map. At least it was when I claimed them and it was when mogar did. 

2 hours ago, Erin Brockovich said:

However that only applies to the small islands. Islands like New Zealand, will be considered as separate colonies due to the size of the provinces. 

New Zealand was part of my original 50 so I'd assume it's considered mainland. Unless you are referring to if it were held by a nation far off like literally anyone besides me and the guy with Northern NZ, in that case carry on

#WALDOASF SIGGIF.gif.fbe87157f6507ae8c6df0ee1d66bd3b1.gif

As an idea, Separate the concept of colonies into Enclaves and Colonies. Enclaves are one province/island pieces that do not count against your colony limit.

this way Britannia and Laurentia come into correction, and with the addition of the Sinai to the Egyptian  loaned land brings everyone into compliance.

in addition we could make it so colonies must start off as enclaves to add a method of counterbalance to colonialization.

13 hours ago, Mogar said:

As an idea, Separate the concept of colonies into Enclaves and Colonies. Enclaves are one province/island pieces that do not count against your colony limit.

this way Britannia and Laurentia come into correction, and with the addition of the Sinai to the Egyptian  loaned land brings everyone into compliance.

in addition we could make it so colonies must start off as enclaves to add a method of counterbalance to colonialization.

I feel as if that would be abused very very easily and I am against it.

One nation can move 4 pieces and use their 4 monthly and claim 8 random "Enclaves" around the world which then unbalances the idea of the map, making newcomers at a disadvantage to get desired land or would have nations in a blink "Enclave" an entire Ocean.

• Upvote 1

IYT09l4.png

so put a limit on number of enclaves, point is it ought to take time to set up a colony rather than just waltzing in and having a large area under your control immediately, this forces people to actually have to RP out getting organized before claiming they have a colony.

Even adding a limit to enclaves still doesn't change much....if that were the case you might as well drop the enclave idea and increase the colony limit because those outside of active members are just gonna call them a colony or whatever they choose them to be 

If we would like, we can increase the colony limit. Otherwise, we should have nations; including myself decrease their colonies and or move all their provinces for this one-time offer to fix up the colony issue. I think that's a fair idea since it is a mistake on the map team as well as role-players for not noticing this issue. Simply allowing us to move the colonies would help solve it quickly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prince Hunter of Bavaria said:

If we would like, we can increase the colony limit. Otherwise, we should have nations; including myself decrease their colonies and or move all their provinces for this one-time offer to fix up the colony issue. I think that's a fair idea since it is a mistake on the map team as well as role-players for not noticing this issue. Simply allowing us to move the colonies would help solve it quickly. 

This sounds like a perfect idea, allowing those who are over a 1 time deal to move their colonies provinces and reduce them

• Moderators

Have you guys decided what you guys want to do about the colony guidelines?

giphy.gif

This is seriously bizarre.  

You guys should be RPing colonial development, not just defining it according to distance or geography on a map.  Over time, it could be feasible to have colonies become mainland to a nation, especially in the case of someone RPing a thalassocracy.

Otherwise, everyone might as well just be playing "color in the lines" on a map.  That's not roleplaying.  It's barely any better than pixel hugging.