WTF happened to this place?

Sailor Jerry

32 minutes ago, Hope said:

*are the people who are #2 in the alliance rankings (yes Roq that’s you i’m talking about)

people are just too afraid of losing. to that i say, i don’t care. get your head out of your ass, realize that you’re the problem, and do something 

can’t complain about the game being non dynamic when you’re sitting on 5+ MD level treaties and you’ve never made any politically dynamic moves. 

Interesting you try to call out NPO when the #1 alliance has 7 MD plus level treaties 

1 hour ago, donsberger said:

Interesting you try to call out NPO when the #1 alliance has 7 MD plus level treaties 

This year the Easy Mode lost t$, BK, Zodiac, Cornerstone, tC, HBE, Grumpy, CF (I forgot someone?)

Some moved to the other side, some went paperless

How many more do you need?

2 hours ago, donsberger said:

IQ has fought one war. since then they’ve only complained about how the game is broke and haven’t done anything about it. yes EMC is at fault as well, and they sure haven’t helped,but they haven’t been nearly the worst offenders

2 hours ago, Hope said:

*are the people who are #2 in the alliance rankings (yes Roq that’s you i’m talking about)

people are just too afraid of losing. to that i say, i don’t care. get your head out of your ass, realize that you’re the problem, and do something 

can’t complain about the game being non dynamic when you’re sitting on 5+ MD level treaties and you’ve never made any politically dynamic moves. 

*Never made any politically dynamic moves

*Founds IQ which includes three former Syndisphere alliances

Pick one.

7 minutes ago, Hope said:

IQ has fought one war. since then they’ve only complained about how the game is broke and haven’t done anything about it. yes EMC is at fault as well, and they sure haven’t helped,but they haven’t been nearly the worst offenders

Considering we broke the game launching our blitz you can't blame us there with the broke part, nor are we the only people to complain about Sheepy and his "updates" making no sense or helping the game. Nor can you blame us for not wanting to be the ones wanting to start a war, again. Easy Mode, you guys know where our pixels are if you want to hit us up.

16 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Game broke when some of the most antagonistic, annoying, loud alliances left (CoughMensaCoughSyndicateCoughTEst).

Might actually be right.

Edited by Rache Olderen
  • Upvote 1

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

8 hours ago, Dubayoo said:

Leading by example is sequential, not simultaneous.

Yes, the problem is that no one is even willing to be the first step in the sequence. Including all of you that are complaining in the first place.

2 hours ago, donsberger said:

Interesting you try to call out TKR when your leader specifically told me it wasn't on you to start the next war.

26 minutes ago, Micchan said:

How many more do you need?

How many less do you need that you finally realize you should do something about it?

17 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Game broke when some of the most antagonistic, annoying, loud alliances left (CoughMensaCoughSyndicateCoughTEst).

How about you take some of your Mensa buddies and I'll take some of my TEst buddies and we'll create the loudest, most annoying alliance ever :P

(This is a serious offer)

5 minutes ago, Rache Olderen said:

*Never made any politically dynamic moves

*Founds IQ which includes three former Syndisphere alliances

Pick one.

Well tell me, how has an EMC-IQ world been better or even as good as a Syndisphere-Paracov world?

1 minute ago, hidude45454 said:

Yes, the problem is that no one is even willing to be the first step in the sequence. Including all of you that are complaining in the first place.

The point of simultaneous action is there is no sequence.  Half of the point is initiative.  The other half is to avoid spoiling others who don't participate.

If you act first without others with you, then others learn from experience that they can hold back which doesn't make change long-lasting.  The spark gets snuffed out before becoming an inferno.

You can point fingers all you want, but the fact that the game culture is one where it is a building game rather than a war game leads to people not wanting to do anything that will compromise rebuilding/ further growth. The escalating costs when people are racing to city 20, 25, 30 etc promote a more conservative attitude.The rise of more niche upper tier alliances is part of the equation and those don't want to fight each other and usually are allied to a top 5 or 4. In the past, people ridiculed whales and didn't see it as a realistic prospect to get there, but when the opportunity arose they wanted to take it with various instances like treasure island/joining elite upper tier AAs. The fact is the meta has shifted from one where wars are frequent as people have gotten bigger.

3 minutes ago, hidude45454 said:

Well tell me, how has an EMC-IQ world been better or even as good as a Syndisphere-Paracov world?

Who said it's necessarily better? What it is better than is than that which preceded it, which was a unipolar situation from October 2016-March 2017. It's not really on IQ that Paracov didn't work out and most of the major alliances in Paracov either couldn't sustain the losses or wanted to move.

11 minutes ago, Roquentin said:

You can point fingers all you want, but the fact that the game culture is one where it is a building game rather than a war game leads to people not wanting to do anything that will compromise rebuilding/ further growth. The escalating costs when people are racing to city 20, 25, 30 etc promote a more conservative attitude.The rise of more niche upper tier alliances is part of the equation and those don't want to fight each other and usually are allied to a top 5 or 4. In the past, people ridiculed whales and didn't see it as a realistic prospect to get there, but when the opportunity arose they wanted to take it with various instances like treasure island/joining elite upper tier AAs. The fact is the meta has shifted from one where wars are frequent as people have gotten bigger.

I'm not sure it's that materialistic or deterministic.  Those are reinforcing effects, not initial causes.

The real cultural cause is the counter-attacking psychological attitude which so many people have.  A lot of wise guys play this game who like provoking others into acting out just to take the excuse that they're containing what someone else started.  Along with this is the fact that so many people are irrational in being excessively risk averse.  They've confused sunk cost for opportunity cost.  Yes, sunk cost represents what you would have to redo if you lost it, but the real opportunity cost is the excitement of knowing you're actively better than someone else.

The problem is when you stick a bunch of counter-attackers in a room, nobody ever attacks.  There is no excitement anymore, and there's literally no opportunity at stake.  The game has become a battle of resilient egos where people are gradually caring less and less about what happens in order to maintain their resilience.  If anything, anyone who appears to care too much is treated as a potential target either because they're supposedly running out of resilience and became desperate, or because their abundance of resilience is something to fearmonger around. 

Put simply, if Alex really wanted to fix this game, he would compel everyone in the top 10% to take a psychological exam.  Anyone who has a counterattacking attitude would get banned.  Anyone who doesn't have a counterattacking attitude would be expected to declare war within a week and cause damages equal to 10% of their nation-score.  Anyone who failed to do so obviously would have lied in taking the exam, and should likewise be banned.

Edited by Dubayoo

3 minutes ago, Dubayoo said:

Put simply, if Alex really wanted to fix this game, he would compel everyone in the top 10% to take a psychological exam.  Anyone who has a counterattacking attitude would get banned.  Anyone who doesn't have a counterattacking attitude would be expected to declare war within a week and cause damages equal to 10% of their nation-score.  Anyone who failed to do so obviously would have failed the exam, and should likewise be banned.

a. No shade, but this is ridiculous.

b. The game needs fixing here and there, but the issue on the table is not at Alex's feet. This is player-made and should be player-resolved.

Edited by Queen M
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hidude45454 said:

Never said it was better. And with the great deflation I would say objectively worse. :P I was talking about political dynamics and those do not necessarily change the world, for better or for worse.

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

4 minutes ago, Dubayoo said:

The problem is when you stick a bunch of counter-attackers in a room, nobody ever attacks.  There is no excitement anymore, and there's literally no opportunity at stake.  The game has become a battle of resilient egos where people are gradually caring less and less about what happens in order to maintain their resilience.

I stopped caring a long time ago but not for that reason. Going through the motions is easier. :P But admittedly things that would have started wars even a year, year and a half, ago no longer cause them.

UQllJcz.png?2

13 minutes ago, Queen M said:

a. No shade, but this is ridiculous.

b. The game needs fixing here and there, but the issue on the table is not at Alex's feet. This is player-made and should be player-resolved.

It's really not ridiculous because this is private property.  We are Alex's guests in his gameworld.

Alex is allowed to administer it at his will.  We don't have to be worried about objectivity in such an exam because this game isn't run by the government, it's not public infrastructure, and objective rights and responsibilities aren't on the table.  

I would like to agree that the players need to make a difference, but the problem is what happens when some players want to make a difference but others don't?  You need a central authority who's independent of the players themselves who requires them to make a difference.  It's like having a referee in a game who isn't biased towards any set of players.

In fact, this even happens in sports like basketball and football where you have a play clock running.

9 minutes ago, Rache Olderen said:

I stopped caring a long time ago but not for that reason. Going through the motions is easier. :P But admittedly things that would have started wars even a year, year and a half, ago no longer cause them.

Yea, same difference.  People stop caring because they lose hope. 

Edited by Dubayoo

99/100 people would kick you in the jaw and walk on if you were already in a ditch after getting hit by a car.   Truth is £¥€* everyone, watch your own back.  If you are fortunate enough to make friends you can count on then God bless.  

The real problem is everyone - talking - about the problem instead of - doing - something to fix the problem. A lot of people here have had a lot of good ideas (a lot of which were said back on Bob), but would rather someone else make the first move rather than do it themselves.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Zaksaeling said:

The real problem is everyone - talking - about the problem instead of - doing - something to fix the problem. A lot of people here have had a lot of good ideas (a lot of which were said back on Bob), but would rather someone else make the first move rather than do it themselves.

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, Zaksaeling said:

In the last 3 months I stressed everyone in the alliance asking for war, but I have no power ;_;

• Upvote 1

I'm actually serious.  I could talk a long time about this subject.

You know how frustrating Mensa was in the Syndisphere alliance initially?  We were very antagonistic to everybody, including our allies.  We wanted war, and we pushed our allies to it a lot early on.

When Prefontaine led TEst, if they had a target in their sight, they didn't just declare war - they just went at it with no post necessary to announce it.

When Partisan/Thrax was in Syndisphere, they played it hard to manipulate (Both for good and bad) to initiate sparks of war.

There's none of that now.  There's only been few alliances that attempted (Kastor leading Lordaeron, for example, but no one really followed.  Seeker with VE, but that was found out. :P ).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hope said:

I would like some further clarification as to what exactly IQ has been complaining about recently.  

If we will back track to your previous comment about NPO being ranked #2.  I do not understand the correlation between alliance ranking and their ability to perform offensive maneuvers financially.  You are making heavy implications that you know NPO is able to perform war immediately yet you hold no seat at their table.  I do not know their current financial situation so I find it interesting that you would know more about it than myself.  

gog-forum-size-regs.png