UPN charter change

matt2004

WmWyXgq.png

Under the emergency powers that have been given to me under our previous charter as a result of Panguis' departure, and with careful consideration I have decided to replace our charter to allow us to provide strong and stable leadership, and to enable us to take UPN forward. You can read our new charter below.

The United Purple Nations ("UPN") exists to provide an approachable, all-purple alliance to its members and friends;
provide her members with safety against war and oppression;
offer education and advice on how to advance the nations under her care; 
maintain a friendly, open and democratic community where everyone’s voice is heard.
In return, every member helps the alliance and respects and honours not only their fellow members but all purple nations as a whole, as well as honouring all of the United Purple Nations' treated allies and friends.

I. Laws & Policies
Immigration
Any nation wishing to join UPN is required to enter the applicant pool of UPN and must not be at war with other nations or be a member of another alliance. The government of UPN may implement additional application requirements, processes, and standards of training before any nation is inducted as a member. Nations flying the “United Purple Nations” as the Alliance Affiliation but have not been inducted as a member may still have their right to safety and liberty guaranteed provided they have obeyed the laws of the alliance.

Civil Liberties
Each member of UPN has the liberty to exercise freedom of speech, expression, association, and belief within the bounds of non-aggression. Members have the right to control their own nations as they see fit, provided it does not directly harm UPN or abuse any nation. No law or policy may be made to infringe on these liberties.

The Welfare State
UPN strives to provide members with benefits such as city funding, war aid, loans, and other various financial programs.
Members who wish to leave the alliance within six months of receiving aid from UPN are required to repay the full sum they received. UPN reserves the right to increase this number for certain aid programmes.
The government of UPN is free to impose requirements that need to be met in order to be eligible for funding.
Raiding Policy
Members of UPN are not allowed to raid any nation residing in an alliance with 10 members or more, nor can they raid members of an alliance with an active Protectorate or Defence treaty.
In addition, all raiders must acknowledge that they are responsible for their own actions and that the alliance is not obligated to assist them should their run through another nations wheat field turn out badly.

Activity Policy (Purple and Out)
Members of the United Purple Nations will be removed after one week of inactivity if they have not previously contacted a government member. Nations removed for activity are free to re-apply to UPN after becoming active once again.

II. Government
 Prime Minister
 The Prime Minister is the leader of the United Purple Nations.
 The Prime Minister carries the ultimate responsibility in the day to day operations of the alliance – and is trusted with the power to swiftly take actions or delegate responsibility without policy interference from administrative bodies. This is to allow for a rapid response to changing circumstances.

Parliament
The Parliament consists of three elected representatives. The MPs are tasked with representing constituents in policy discussions. MPs are elected from the membership, excluding existing ministers, to rule over the alliance and are responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of government departments. MPs are to be advised on changes in policy, for example treaty changes and internal procedures. MPs are then asked to advise on changes to these proposals based on their own expertise and carry out member consultation if needed. MPs can organise themselves as they see fit.

The Cabinet
The Cabinet Ministers serve as the leaders of their respective departments and hold the authority and responsibility to make executive decisions in matters which are within their jurisdiction unless said decision goes against the wishes of the Prime Minister and the Parliament.
The Ministers have full access to all channels of information within the alliance like the Prime Minister and the MPs and are encouraged to contribute with their advice and points of view, but unless the Minister is also an elected MP, the Ministers does not have the power to vote. The Prime Minister can dismiss and replace ministers at any time in a cabinet reshuffle.

The Ministers and their respective directives:

The Chief of Staff acts as the Prime Minister’s deputy.
The Chief of Staff can be selected either from one the members of the Parliament or from the membership as a whole. The responsibility of the chief of staff is to help the Prime Minister carry out their duties and to step in to take decisions should the Prime Minister be missing or incapacitated. The Chief of Staff may be elevated to a Co-leadership position by the Prime Minister for a set period of time.

The Minister of Defence is responsible for all defence affairs.
The duties of the MOD are to maintain the military and organize and prepare the alliance’s defence of our wheat fields.
The Minister of Defence has full authority to deal with hostile wheat runners and raiders as they see fit.

The Foreign Secretary  is the person responsible for the UPN foreign affairs department.
Duties include ensuring that the foreign relations of the alliance are secure and ongoing. The Secretary is to make sure allies are well treated and visited regularly and also to maintain foreign communications to a high standard.

The Home Secretary is head of the UPN internal affairs department.
The department includes all activities concerning the general membership of the UPN,
including administration of the forums, Discord and other communication channels, and ensuring that UPN's rules are followed by its membership.
The Home Secretary is also responsible for overseeing and administering elections and referendums. The Home Secretary is also responsible for the promotion of recruitment into UPN and the free movement of members through to higher tiers.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer is in charge of the UPN Treasury.
The Chancellor coordinates all aid programs and trade.
The Chancellor is also responsible for the bank of UPN and that its contents are being responsibly handled.

Ministers and Prime Minister can appoint a Civil Servant who is tasked with assisting them with their duties and to stand as their proxy in case the Minister or Prime Minister is absent.

lll. Election
The MPs and Ministers serve a 3 month term.
The MPs are elected by the people, and any member can stand to become a Member of Parliament.
A vote shall then be held under the STV system, and the 3 candidates with the highest performance will be sworn in as the members of the new Parliament. 

Election Procedure
Parliament elections are held in the last days of the 3-month Parliamentary term.
24 Hours are reserved for members to nominate themselves and after the 24 hours are ended the polls will open, and every member then has 48 hours to vote for the 3 candidates they wish to see in Parliament.
The new MPs will be sworn in immediately upon STV calculations.

IV. Removal of Membership

The Prime Minister and the Home Secretary hold the power to rescind the membership of any person who is not a member of government who is in clear violation of the rules or charter of UPN.
 If there is an uncertainty of the clarity of the rules violation then a Parliamentary vote shall decide the matter.

V. Removal of a Government Member
Any minister or MP can be voted out of power if found guilty of violating the trust of the alliance or guilty of dereliction of duty.
The vote to remove a minister or MP requires a 2/3 majority in the Parliament.
The MP or the Minister, should they be a MP, would not be eligible to cast a vote in this circumstance.
VII. Amendment
The Constitution can be modified by a 2/3 majority vote from the Parliament and the Prime Minister.
If not all of the Parliament has voted after 14 days, those who have not given opinions will count as having abstained from the vote.

VIII. Ratification
 We, the membership of these United Purple Nations, hold this Constitution as accurate to the will of the membership and agree to the specifications contained herein.
 We accept the rules of this document as the UPN constitution in full.

Edited by Matt2004
  • Upvote 3

Untitled.png.a5280e76db3e7bedecea0a5e4d7b7daf.png

Well...I guess we're well beyond RIP for Reclusiarch, Chief Librarian and Chooser of the Slain then. :mellow: This charter change was probably overdue though and you've got an interesting system setup. I look forward to seeing where you lead UPN Matt, you'll be a good leader. Good luck to you all in purple! ^_^

Couldn't you at least have kept Chooser of the Slain as a title? I never held that office but I always loved the title! :P

Edited by Malichy

MofFA United Purple Nations

Former Grosskomtur, FA Minister and Spitler (IA) -Teutonic Order. Former Reclusiarch (IA) - UPN.

le61twR.png

Congrats on the changes UPN!

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.

11 hours ago, Matt2004 said:

Activity Policy (Purple and Out)
Members of the United Purple Nations will be removed after one week of inactivity if they have not previously contacted a government member. Nations removed for activity are free to re-apply to UPN after becoming active once again.

I see what you did there. :v

You may have to change your name if you are all green, yellow and red though... :|

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I see what you did there. :v

You may have to change your name if you are all green, yellow and red though... :|

you called? :P

• Upvote 2

<Dragonk>Like I drink beer, nto it

"You couldn't live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me." 

"Members who wish to leave the alliance within six months of receiving aid from UPN are required to repay the full sum they received"

This is the longest I have seen besides Zodiac's 4 months

Also congrats on the changes

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

"Members who wish to leave the alliance within six months of receiving aid from UPN are required to repay the full sum they received"

This is the longest I have seen besides Zodiac's 4 months

That is a bit on the longish side....that said, it's better to put that up front and forgive, than not say it to begin with and then try to collect after the fact.

MofFA United Purple Nations

Former Grosskomtur, FA Minister and Spitler (IA) -Teutonic Order. Former Reclusiarch (IA) - UPN.

le61twR.png

Well not as large as CS' Senate but it is progress. :P Best of luck UPN.

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

23 hours ago, Malichy said:

That is a bit on the longish side....that said, it's better to put that up front and forgive, than not say it to begin with and then try to collect after the fact.

It is long, but equally we will be spending extremely large amounts on our members.

On 2017-8-13 at 10:35 PM, Bradley Davies said:

Better not be turning into a tory, Matt!

Congrats on charter changes UPN, hope it works out well for ya.

*Puts down Owen Jones' Guardian Column* - I can assure you that isn't happening. Now I'm off to run through the fields of wheat, erm, I mean the generic fields around Newcastle Airport while saving the trees.

• Upvote 1

On 16/08/2017 at 0:27 PM, Kurdanak said:

Your government positions were finally laid out all neat and simple, then you blindsided me with "The Chancellor of the Exchequer" at the end. :P

Good luck on the restructuring!

I copied and pasted UK cabinet positions out of desperation, but I could just rename PM to Shawn Mendes.

18 hours ago, Victor Truchev said:

Democracy is what led to UPN's downfall...

Hence why I, an unelected official now wield supreme amounts of executive power, and MPs number power is greatly scaled back (I AM THE SENATE) . I need people to do all the work in government and take the blame when it all goes horribly wrong.

Just kidding - we're Strong and Stable now ?

• Upvote 2