7/18/2017 - Alliance Tax Brackets

Alex

• Administrators

I will note as well that Gray nations are already untaxed, so moving all your inactive members into a 100%/100% tax bracket won't accomplish anything.

Also, if you ever want to reference this info about Tax Brackets later, I did write up a PWPedia article for it: https://politicsandwar.com/pwpedia/26/

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

I also forgot to mention that I increased the amounts for the Daily Login Bonus. The minimum amount has increased from $10,000 to $100,000 per day for logging in, with a maximum of $300,000 for everyone with new players (less than 60 days old) getting up to $600,000 per day. For a new nation that logs in every day for its first 60 days, that's $29,500,000 just for logging in. For everyone else, that's up to an extra $2,100,000 / week just for logging in. Instead of increasing the amount by $10,000 per the day, the amount does increase by $20,000 per day now as well.

Alex says it best

• Downvote 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Kasikil said:

More money for new players is a bad user experience?

• Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Kasikil said:

Make resources more expensive with an update.

Give everyone more free money with another.

K.

Right, both of those things promote activity. Activity is good.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Right, both of those things promote activity. Activity is good for my bottom line.

Fixed it.

Also, your reply completely ignores the point of my comment. But I didn't really expect constructive conversation from you, so meh. Have a good rest of your day.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Kasikil said:

Fixed it.

Also, your reply completely ignores the point of my comment. But I didn't really expect constructive conversation from you, so meh. Have a good rest of your day.

The changes to commerce and resource production are good on their own merits. I've already made my point about why those are good changes in their update thread.

Increasing the amount of money you get per day for logging in gives players more to do when they get on to check their nation, rewards them for checking back frequently, and creates a larger opportunity cost for missing a day.

Players being regularly more active is better for building camaraderie between alliance-mates, better for alliances that want their members to check in for important updates (like upcoming wars, changes in treaties, etc.), and better for player retention.

Rewarding new players with smaller nations even more helps them catch up and become much more active participants in the international community far more quickly.

As a whole, more activity creates more fun gameplay for everyone. If you'd like to play a game where you only log in once a week, well, I'm not sure why you'd like to play a game like that. Chances are you'd forget about it rather quickly, and stop playing.

• Upvote 3

Forums Rules | Game Link

Guest Curufinwe
8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Right, both of those things promote activity. Activity is good.

Well, at least anecdotally, the former seems to be be doing a better job of promoting inactivity, since many people are frustrated with the changes or cba to fundamentally redo their nation in response to your 'fix' and have just tuned out or focused on something else (the server Kasi grabbed that quote from may offer a clue as to where many have chosen to focus instead of PW).  But yeah, sure, activity is good.

Finally Sheepy. Thank you.

Now slip in a bug and give me a couple of billion. That's a good sheep. I'd give you some grass but all I have is a field of wheat.

• Upvote 1

Untitled.png.a5280e76db3e7bedecea0a5e4d7b7daf.png

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Curufinwe said:

Well, at least anecdotally, the former seems to be be doing a better job of promoting inactivity, since many people are frustrated with the changes or cba to fundamentally redo their nation in response to your 'fix' and have just tuned out or focused on something else (the server Kasi grabbed that quote from may offer a clue as to where many have chosen to focus instead of PW).  But yeah, sure, activity is good.

Quite the contrary - that update corresponded with a massive spike in activity, likely people getting on and scrambling to update their nations to respond to the new changes. Plus, activity is at an all time high. From the homepage: 

8,171 nations exist now, 3,925 nations have been active in the last week, and 936 nations have been active today. 3,277 new nations have been created this week, and 291 nations have been created today.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Well i have to say I'm a bit disappointed on the implementation.  When you said tax brackets were coming, i thought you meant like actual tax brackets, and being able to set Taxes based on GDP/income/city count etc.  With this, and especially if you have a large alliances, it will require a huge amount of admin to ensure everyone is on the right bracket and when they move up to different rates etc.  I don't want to set every member to a set rate, because by the following day, it could need adjustment again if they buy a load of infra or a new city.

So whilst this is certainly better than before, it's a long way from being ideal..

Is this something that will be planned or has this not even been considered?

Tax brackets will produce some interesting player movement. I fully support this, even if Yarr is a 0% tax alliance.

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, synthesis said:

Well i have to say I'm a bit disappointed on the implementation.  When you said tax brackets were coming, i thought you meant like actual tax brackets, and being able to set Taxes based on GDP/income/city count etc.  With this, and especially if you have a large alliances, it will require a huge amount of admin to ensure everyone is on the right bracket and when they move up to different rates etc.  I don't want to set every member to a set rate, because by the following day, it could need adjustment again if they buy a load of infra or a new city.

So whilst this is certainly better than before, it's a long way from being ideal..

Is this something that will be planned or has this not even been considered?

It's difficult to create an automated system for every single way you might want to do your taxes. This way gives you the most freedom, and perhaps you can get more players involved in econ management, giving them gov roles or whatever to keep them busy checking the tax bracket rolls and keep things updated. Win-win ;)

• Upvote 4

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Sketchy said:

@Alex Can you create a new column in the tax records which display the tax bracket ID in it for each person taxed.

I could do that, yes.

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 hours ago, Alex said:

The changes to commerce and resource production are good on their own merits. I've already made my point about why those are good changes in their update thread.

Increasing the amount of money you get per day for logging in gives players more to do when they get on to check their nation, rewards them for checking back frequently, and creates a larger opportunity cost for missing a day.

Players being regularly more active is better for building camaraderie between alliance-mates, better for alliances that want their members to check in for important updates (like upcoming wars, changes in treaties, etc.), and better for player retention.

Rewarding new players with smaller nations even more helps them catch up and become much more active participants in the international community far more quickly.

As a whole, more activity creates more fun gameplay for everyone. If you'd like to play a game where you only log in once a week, well, I'm not sure why you'd like to play a game like that. Chances are you'd forget about it rather quickly, and stop playing.

Don't worry about it man, people complain that you screw over new nations, then complain when you do something to benefit new nations. Some people will complain regardless because they like complaining too much. I see it in every game I play.

I like this update.

• Upvote 4

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

What are the permissions for people to make new tax brackets?  Are they the same as people who can withdraw from the bank?

Correct

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Jax locked this topic