Reducing the Cost of Rebuilding Infrastructure

Alex

Reducing the Cost of Rebuilding Infrastructure Poll  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an update where rebuying previously built infrastructure in a city would have the cost discounted by 50%? (Example: You had 2000 infrastructure in your city, but war brought it down to 1000. Now you want to rebuy: instead of it costing you the full price [$15,246,116] it would cost you 50% of that [$7,623,058] but beyond 2000 infrastructure buying more would cost the full price)

• Yes, I would like that change
    • No, I would not like that change

• Administrators

I just wanted to gauge community feedback on a proposed change: reducing the cost of rebuying infrastructure. For a long time, the game has tracked the maximum infrastructure level in each city, so it would be very easy to implement.

How this would work in example, is building infrastructure in a new city would be the same. However, if you had, say, 2000 infrastructure in a city, and then went to war and had that knocked down to 1000, the rebuild cost from 1000->2000 infrastructure would be halved. Above 2000 infrastructure, however, you would be paying the full price again (though just the once, because if you dipped below that new, higher level, you would again be paying only 50% to rebuild to that new max.)

I'd just like to see a quick yes/no vote so I can gauge community opinion. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Just now, Alex said:

I just wanted to gauge community feedback on a proposed change: reducing the cost of rebuying infrastructure. For a long time, the game has tracked the maximum infrastructure level in each city, so it would be very easy to implement.

How this would work in example, is building infrastructure in a new city would be the same. However, if you had, say, 2000 infrastructure in a city, and then went to war and had that knocked down to 1000, the rebuild cost from 1000->2000 infrastructure would be halved. Above 2000 infrastructure, however, you would be paying the full price again (though just the once, because if you dipped below that new, higher level, you would again be paying only 50% to rebuild to that new max.)

I'd just like to see a quick yes/no vote so I can gauge community opinion. Thanks.

looks out the window for any flaming meteors of death falling onto the ground

• Upvote 3

I'm not a game developer, so I'm probably not the best theorist to say anything here. However, on the surface, I like the idea because there would be less risk to getting into conflict. It would probably make for more smaller skirmishes. Sounds like a fun change tbh.

• Upvote 4

new_forum_sig_2.png

6 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

I'm not a game developer, so I'm probably not the best theorist to say anything here. However, on the surface, I like the idea because there would be less risk to getting into conflict. It would probably make for more smaller skirmishes. Sounds like a fun change tbh.

Yeah, but this makes money less important. Now you have too much money to throw around. Also nukes would become useless. There would be no point to hitting infra anymore really since the munitions and gas would be more expensive than the actual cost. 

Also lmao, punish people for being around longer and doing better. Ok, Kevin, let's go with Cyber Politics and Nation Wars.

Edited by Shifty Stranger

1 minute ago, Gabranth said:

easy fix, nuked cities are unaffected by the mechanic

Then nukes are OP af.

3 minutes ago, Tiber said:

All infra should just be free once you get to 18 cities, and all players with 20 cities or more should get paid to build infra. 

I heavily support this. It accomplishes the same thing as this suggestion.

• Upvote 6

Sheepy, I understand you are trying to mean well with this update, but you are going about it the wrong way. 

The last update favored whales who were already built to a large size, which mitigated the damage of it. This is only going to swing things further in their favor. The issue is that this once again favors large nations already at a large size. If their infra gets destroyed, it'll only be half as hard to grow back to the previous level. However, if a new nation comes along, they'll have to pay full price to get to the same level. What I'm trying to say is that this update will make it all the more harder for newer nations to catch up or surpass older ones, which was one of the biggest faults with (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) (tech). 

What drew me to this game was the ability for new nations to surpass their elders, but this update will make it harder for such to happen. If you want to reduce the price of infrastructure, go the entire way rather than just rebuild. If you wanted to implement such a mechanic, it would have been best to do so when the game launched. Now, it is far too late to do that. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Gabranth said:

I wouldn't think so, considering both sides of a war can use nukes. It would encourage more nuking, more destructive wars - maybe even start wars of attrition because of the lack of food production. As a rule of thumb, you can do more damage still with 1200 planes and 1200 planes can kill all manner of things. Sure, nukes would be better at destroying infra, but conventional military would still be good for destroying more infra, but cheaper. Not to mention you can beige a whole lot faster with conventional military. Really this is a discussion for spy mechanic changes, maybe even the nature of fortify, but off topic. 

Ahh using fire and forgets not as defensive "I can't fight" weapons, but as siege weapons.

I am ok with this change if missiles/nukes can get that boost. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

I feel like if you are going to make a change like that, you cant go half way with it, either have it 50% from 0-infinity or don't have it at all.

I would say tho, that would make for a cool new project.

It's not arbitrarily capped at 2000, I was using 2000 as an example.

11 minutes ago, Joel James said:

Sheepy, I understand you are trying to mean well with this update, but you are going about it the wrong way. 

The last update favored whales who were already built to a large size, which mitigated the damage of it. This is only going to swing things further in their favor. The issue is that this once again favors large nations already at a large size. If their infra gets destroyed, it'll only be half as hard to grow back to the previous level. However, if a new nation comes along, they'll have to pay full price to get to the same level. What I'm trying to say is that this update will make it all the more harder for newer nations to catch up or surpass older ones, which was one of the biggest faults with (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) (tech). 

What drew me to this game was the ability for new nations to surpass their elders, but this update will make it harder for such to happen. If you want to reduce the price of infrastructure, go the entire way rather than just rebuild. If you wanted to implement such a mechanic, it would have been best to do so when the game launched. Now, it is far too late to do that. 

How about making rebuilt infrastructure 200% the cost (twice as expensive) and leave new infrastructure the normal price then? That ought to "punish" older players more, right?

(Before anyone cries and says I'm some sort of idiot, this is a sarcastic comment. Though theoretically it would accomplish the goal.)

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I mean if you were using 2000 as an example what would the actual number because honestly hardcap at that would be the best option.

I also say reducing infra costs still accomplishes the same thing. If infra's cheaper outside of rebuilding it helps to encourage players to grow and easier on AAs to grow them (which balances out the new change) and wars will be more common because again cheap infra means cheap rebuild.

Nerd To The Core

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

How about making rebuilt infrastructure 200% the cost (twice as expensive) and leave new infrastructure the normal price then? That ought to "punish" older players more, right?

(Before anyone cries and says I'm some sort of idiot, this is a sarcastic comment. Though theoretically it would accomplish the goal.)

So I raise a valid point, you respond with sarcasm to dodge the question, and then distance yourself from it by saying "don't take it seriously"? Are you here to actually get a community response or just to absolve yourself of responsibility when you implement this by saying you took community input?

Furthermore, I never said that you should punish whales, and I have no idea where you drew that conclusion from. Not giving whales an advantage over newer nations is not the same as punishing whales, and I would much appreciate if you refrained from equating it as such. I simply suggested to reduce to infra price across the board or leave it alone, something that would impact every player equally

Now I await your response in which you further prove that you have chosen a side before the poll even started. 

• Upvote 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Joel James said:

So I raise a valid point, you respond with sarcasm to dodge the question, and then distance yourself from it by saying "don't take it seriously"? Are you here to actually get a community response or just to absolve yourself of responsibility when you implement this by saying you took community input?

Furthermore, I never said that you should punish whales, and I have no idea where you drew that conclusion from. Not giving whales an advantage over newer nations is not the same as punishing whales, and I would much appreciate if you refrained from equating it as such. I simply suggested to reduce to infra price across the board or leave it alone, something that would impact every player equally

Now I await your response in which you further prove that you have chosen a side before the poll even started. 

I'm of the opinion that most changes are going to hurt people who have played the game for a long time the least because they have the biggest resource stockpiles, the most infrastructure, etc. Almost regardless of what the change, they're going to be able to handle it better. So using that as an argument against a change is a little silly, I think, when you could make that argument against almost every single change.

Reducing the cost of infrastructure across the board still benefits whales. In fact, it benefits them far more than new players, because the costs at higher infrastructure levels far exceed the cost of building, say, your first 1000 infrastructure which is a nominal cost. That is why I made the joking comment that we could increase the cost of rebuilding while reducing or maintaining the initial cost of building - that's about the only way that you're going to reduce the cost of infrastructure without disproportionately benefiting large nations.

I'm pretty indifferent about this update, my motivation is to try and address some of the concerns raised about smaller nations and upward mobility in the game. I think that those are important issues. Here was one suggestion I asked for feedback on - if I was dead set for it, I'd just do it, and I wouldn't ask for your feedback. So far we have a clear majority in the poll that does not like this change, which is fine, I can move on to something else.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

if I was dead set for it, I'd just do it, and I wouldn't ask for your feedback.

Or would you just ask for feedback, get a negative response, and go through with it anyways? *cough* Update Yesterday *cough*

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kasikil said:

Or would you just ask for feedback, get a negative response, and go through with it anyways? *cough* Update Yesterday *cough*

Democracy doesn't work in this game

:v

• Upvote 1

I already told you what to do. Lower infra costs all-around. Make it easier for bigger nations to rebuild and for smaller nations to build infra and catch up to bigger nations. Increase city prices.

I'm not sure why you're so against that idea, maybe because I said it, but now that the community is telling you this idea sucks too maybe you'll look into mine.

• Upvote 1

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm of the opinion that most changes are going to hurt people who have played the game for a long time the least because they have the biggest resource stockpiles, the most infrastructure, etc. Almost regardless of what the change, they're going to be able to handle it better. So using that as an argument against a change is a little silly, I think, when you could make that argument against almost every single change.

Reducing the cost of infrastructure across the board still benefits whales. In fact, it benefits them far more than new players, because the costs at higher infrastructure levels far exceed the cost of building, say, your first 1000 infrastructure which is a nominal cost. That is why I made the joking comment that we could increase the cost of rebuilding while reducing or maintaining the initial cost of building - that's about the only way that you're going to reduce the cost of infrastructure without disproportionately benefiting large nations.

I'm pretty indifferent about this update, my motivation is to try and address some of the concerns raised about smaller nations and upward mobility in the game. I think that those are important issues. Here was one suggestion I asked for feedback on - if I was dead set for it, I'd just do it, and I wouldn't ask for your feedback. So far we have a clear majority in the poll that does not like this change, which is fine, I can move on to something else.

So this idea is to adress the concerns about small nations and upwards mobility, yet the argument that it will help large nations more, thereby accomplishing the exact opposite, is silly?

Edited by Zoot
  • Upvote 4

This change would be great if there was a reset, but favors larger/older players way too much if implemented 3 years after launch. 

I will take responsibility for what I have done, if I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Zoot said:

So this idea is to adress the concerns about small nations and upwards mobility, yet the argument that it will help large nations more, thereby accomplishing the exact opposite, is silly?

It's not silly, but the exact same argument can be made about cutting infra price across the board, and especially for increasing city prices. And, reducing the cost of rebuilding infrastructure also has the benefit of shortening the rebuild cycle between wars as well as making investing in higher infrastructure more worthwhile. The way I see it, "whales" rarely get their infrastructure destroyed anyway, so they won't be reaping much of the rebuild costs. More people will have an incentive to build up to "whale" levels of infrastructure, which is basically upward mobility in nation growth and then also does create the potential for whales to fight each other and spend their money on infrastructure rebuilding, which is still extremely expensive even at 50% off.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Guest Curufinwe
10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Joel's point (which you still haven't really addressed) is that halving the cost of replacing infra disproportionately benefits older nations (which tend to be larger and have higher infra levels) over newer ones (which tend to be smaller and have lower infra counts).  The cost for someone to bring a city from 10 to 1500 infra is roughly $7.4m, which means that your proposed update would save them roughly $3.7m in rebuilding costs.  The cost to bring a city from 10 to 3500 infra is a little less than $93m, meaning that your proposed update would save them $46m and change.  This means that the players with, as you put it, the biggest resource stockpiles (which can of course be sold to raise money for rebuilding) are gaining an exponentially greater benefit than newer, smaller nations.  I mean that may not be a huge concern, since your last update effectively nerfed low infra builds and created a situation where lower infra nations are likely to be greatly out produced by their high infra peers, but Joel's point that this change would disproportionately benefit older, higher infra nations is valid nonetheless.