Alex, fix your damn forums.

Conner Temple

Lately, chinese spam bots have been coming into this forum and spammed scams across the entire board. This is not only bad for forum users, who are being cluttered up by spam, but for the public image of this game.

Perhaps add a one topic per ten minutes limiter as a deterrent, while not actively hurting any major forum uses.

LTcxGHN.jpg

Perhaps add a one topic per ten minutes limiter as a deterrent, while not actively hurting any major forum uses.

If we do go with this plan, the limit should be much lower though.

But what if people actually like reading about Chinese college degrees? :/

Edited by Catsby
"There's nothing you can know that isn't known,
Nothing you can see that isn't shown,
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need."

Have some kind of plugin that checks if the nation actually exists in game upon login. Do this simply by checking to see if the URL(politicsandwar.com/nation/id=NATIONID) works, if not the account request is rejected. This is really not hard to fix. 

• Upvote 1

Inb4 Alex will say this:

I can spend my time on far more important things that need fixing, like credit prices

• Upvote 1
"There's nothing you can know that isn't known,
Nothing you can see that isn't shown,
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need."

Have some kind of plugin that checks if the nation actually exists in game upon login. Do this simply by checking to see if the URL(politicsandwar.com/nation/id=NATIONID) works, if not the account request is rejected. This is really not hard to fix. 

That would be kind of hard to make work, given that the bot could just pick a random ID already in game. Particularly since there are several people that don't have a forum account.

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

That would be kind of hard to make work, given that the bot could just pick a random ID already in game. Particularly since there are several people that don't have a forum account.

No, these are bots that are designed to target IPB forums and will be programmed to crawl Google looking for sites to spam, nothing more and nothing less. If they were intelligent enough to make accounts in game like that, then they wouldn't be spamming Chinese adverts on an English speaking forum.

And that there are moderators on the forums who don't have nation ID's. Wont work.

LTcxGHN.jpg

You seem to know a lot about these, do you know if there's a way to permanently silence them, or do they just stop eventually?

Honestly they really don't bother me, but I think nobody wants them around

Well they cluttered up an entire page of game discussion. Thats more than ''doesn't bother me'.

LTcxGHN.jpg

No, these are bots that are designed to target IPB forums and will be programmed to crawl Google looking for sites to spam, nothing more and nothing less. If they were intelligent enough to make accounts in game like that, then they wouldn't be spamming Chinese adverts on an English speaking forum.

Didn't say anything about creating accounts in game. I said about taking ID's from nations in game.

Since ID's are numbers, they can simply fill out a random 5-digit number that could redirect to a nation in game. Maybe they !@#$ up and pick an ID of a deleted nation and then get denied, but it's still not as a reliable of a choice.

You seem to know a lot about these, do you know if there's a way to permanently silence them, or do they just stop eventually?

Honestly they really don't bother me, but I think nobody wants them around

Only way to stop them is to set up proper countermeasures against them. They'll just spam for as long as you allow them to, although each bot just sort of caps out after X amount of posts.

Edited by Shiho Nishizumi

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

I think it'd benefit the entire community more if they just got some sort of anti-bot software, or Alex contacted the forum providers directly about it, because if there's a war, or a huge event. I'm sure people wouldn't be happy seeing "a player posted 7 minutes ago, you must wait 8 minutes before creating yours"

There'd be people abusing that, posting forum posts with 1 character just so the entire community would be silenced

I  dont mean only one person can make a topic every 10 minutes. I mean, one account can only make 1 post every 10 minutes, stops single account spamming.

LTcxGHN.jpg

Hmmm, I'm gonna look at their QQ account. :P

Edit: this has always been a problem and bots just make it worse. you should have to have a nation to post.

Edit 2: This part of the forums is not for suggestions BTW.

Edited by Kyubnyan

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

This. No need for fancy solutions or anything.  Also, without checking the licensing, I know that we are using a licensed forum software and being a paid thing we probably aren't allowed to modify it.  Nor would it be advisable as it would cause issue updating.

Anyways, there is a reason this has become a problem now and its being fixed.

• Upvote 3

Also, without checking the licensing, I know that we are using a licensed forum software and being a paid thing we probably aren't allowed to modify it.  Nor would it be advisable as it would cause issue updating.

Came to say this. A lot of suggestions people provide for forum-side issues just aren't feasible without constructing our own forum software or causing issues with IP.Board.

Not that solutions don't exist, just that it's not that easy. Regardless, we've gotten spam bots before. They come and go within the course of a week or so.

Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

By IP board or us?

I still think atleast contacting them would be a good step instead of just waiting it out

By us, its an issue on our end.

Not sure if it's related but a lot of the ads I'm seeing appear to be Chinese as well.

Blame google for not filtering spam in its algorithms.

• Upvote 1