OOC Discussion: NatRP Rules and Guidelines

Resetting technology? No thanks, I'll just keep balancing wars by not using Ion Cannons against pre-2020 nations.

Resetting technology? No thanks, I'll just keep balancing wars by not using Ion Cannons against pre-2020 nations.

Nice double post.

Lolbalancing out. Highly one-sided rp is shit rp. Doesnt matter if you decide you wont use highly advanced weapons unrealistic of the Orbis world isnt the problem, the problem is you came to NatRP with those abilities at the beiginning. No effort in building a solid foundation to an actual more reasonable and more interesting RP.

Of course i am not making decisions, nor said i was gonna reset technology, only supported the idea that tech between each RPers nation shouldnt be that far from eachother.

tumblr_nrkmfbUz9q1uomx7lo1_400.gif
Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC

Nice double post.

Lolbalancing out. Highly one-sided rp is shit rp. Doesnt matter if you decide you wont use highly advanced weapons unrealistic of the Orbis world isnt the problem, the problem is you came to NatRP with those abilities at the beiginning. No effort in building a solid foundation to an actual more reasonable and more interesting RP.

Technological Disparity in RP is not inherently bad, neither is trying to run a setting that's not built up from scratch. It's a matter of how it's run; if you're running Nuclear Super-Lasers to conquer everything because you're evil and the Dark Lord of Edge decrees it while proclaiming access to super-invincible black hole shields, there's a problem. If you're running Nuclear Super Lasers to protect your holdings in a territory against aggressive action, it's justifiable, and if you're being reasonable, a Modern Nation can just nuke whatever Kill-Sat is in orbit out of the sky. 

Technological Disparity itself can provide a lot of ground for RP; how these disparate factions interact, diplomatic or military wrangling to acquire more advanced technology, so-on. 

So long as the limitation is on military tech, no issues there from me.

Now this is honestly just bizarre. Do you mean that you'd be fine with a faction having vastly more advanced Technology than usual, but somehow, only being able to engage in military action using M14s and F/A18s? That would either pigeonhole RP into a very specific, dogmatic type of Civilization, or utterly obliterate any ability for faction to maintain internal consistency. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here?

• Upvote 1

Now this is honestly just bizarre. Do you mean that you'd be fine with a faction having vastly more advanced Technology than usual, but somehow, only being able to engage in military action using M14s and F/A18s? That would either pigeonhole RP into a very specific, dogmatic type of Civilization, or utterly obliterate any ability for faction to maintain internal consistency. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here?

I don't really give a !@#$ what someone is doing internally, nor do I have an issue with advanced technology in the first place, but limiting everyone to modern tech at least means everyone is on a somewhat equal playing field, which might allow people to actually have the desire to potentially be attacked and remove the "we're all in 20 different sandboxes and stay out of mine unless i say so" rule.

Nice double post.

Of course i am not making decisions, nor said i was gonna reset technology, only supported the idea that tech between each RPers nation shouldnt be that far from eachother.

Sorry for the double post, my internet is acting weird, btw could you please pin my treaties page? Thx

mOMPUVF.jpg

I admit that while creativity is needed,we must also take realism and plausability into account here, there are many new technologies which can be developed and are completely in the realm of possibility.

As for the consent rule,we should just do away with it tbh, there's really no excitement or entertainment when every war action is agreed upon.

"If a person is satisfied with everything,then he is a complete idiot.A normal person cannot be satisfied with everything."~Vladimir Putin

"Every human being makes mistakes."~Ian Smith

We do not know what tomorrow will bring. We are not prophets. This is a step in the dark. We can only proceed into the future with faith.~Pieter Wilhelm Botha

God, is this what NatRP turned into? First things first. The consent rule is fine. We have Organic RP if you want non-consented roleplay. As for you Cheonsa. Do us all a favour and leave NatRP. You're only contributing to the problem.

• Upvote 1

God, is this what NatRP turned into? First things first. The consent rule is fine. We have Organic RP if you want non-consented roleplay. As for you Cheonsa. Do us all a favour and leave NatRP. You're only contributing to the problem.

Generally speaking when there's multiple rule threads and it is explicitly clear that several people either did not read them or simply don't want to follow them, it might be a good idea create a discussion to resolve that. The consent rule is not fine as it stands, since it means I could just wantonly slaughter people and there's not a damn thing anyone else could do about it. Additionally personal attacks are going to do what exactly?

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, how was I being troublesome?

mOMPUVF.jpg

I'm sorry, how was I being troublesome?

@Cheonsa Maybe he is angry because you posted so many things on his Wiki. And most of them are unfinished, useless and trash for him. Last time he said that the quality of his wiki is decreased as the result of your posts.

@Everyone here

If the rules on consent of war is erased than how do we determine the winner of the war? It will be a trouble because everyone will feel as a winner and no one will want to be the loser.

Moreover, there are many things that can be material for roleplay and there are many ways other than a "free war" to increase the activity of the members.

And also I agree to restart the roleplay back into the beginning age as Alice was proposed. I think it will be great because we are going to roleplay about how we build our country and lead our people toward prosperity and glorius. Perhaps (for example), at the first time our nation is a small nation destroyed by a revolution, coup or civil war but we as their leader can improve and fix the situation or our nation was divided into many countries and then we could unify them into one country by a peaceful unification.

And do not be too selfish because you've been roleplay for a long time so you are being everything (close to a god). Let's put the common interest in the higher place rather than just to be a selfish winner. Because the core of this roleplay is the interaction in togetherness.

That's all from me, Thanks

His Excellency President of the United States of Asia

@Cheonsa Maybe he is angry because you posted so many things on his Wiki. And most of them are unfinished, useless and trash for him. Last time he said that the quality of his wiki is decreased as the result of your posts.

@Everyone here

If the rules on consent of war is erased than how do we determine the winner of the war? It will be a trouble because everyone will feel as a winner and no one will want to be the loser.

Moreover, there are many things that can be material for roleplay and there are many ways other than a "free war" to increase the activity of the members.

And also I agree to restart the roleplay back into the beginning age as Alice was proposed. I think it will be great because we are going to roleplay about how we build our country and lead our people toward prosperity and glorius. Perhaps (for example), at the first time our nation is a small nation destroyed by a revolution, coup or civil war but we as their leader can improve and fix the situation or our nation was divided into many countries and then we could unify them into one country by a peaceful unification.

And do not be too selfish because you've been roleplay for a long time so you are being everything (close to a god). Let's put the common interest in the higher place rather than just to be a selfish winner. Because the core of this roleplay is the interaction in togetherness.

That's all from me, Thanks

I have a feeling someone will say that. In my defence, I was posting those in case someone would complain about the powerful units I use in wars, so I gave them the weaknesses of my units to exploit, and also for references in my forum posts, both narratives and news entries. Besides, I'm not the only one to post NPCs and units there.

mOMPUVF.jpg

Okay guys I'm honestly gonna post one last thing before I'm done and just respect whatever you guys want to do

1) the consent rules been scapegoated. The RP has issues so let's blame this one rule. Honestly from what I've seen from complaints from both past and current players the two biggest problems are this:

a) people posting RPs that are suppose to be interactive and took players time to actually write out but gets no replies while others seem to. Reasons why can range from the RP doesn't affect my nation (understandable) to it's just crappy RP (which is what I think needs to be addressed). I've said it before that if you think people's RPs aren't the best offer to help them improve. Removing one rule won't instantly make them better at RP if anything I can say it'll make RP a bit more frustrating because players who might still be stumbling will stumble into a war and screw something up.

b ) OOC/IC lines being blurred. I piss someone off with something outside the RP and I get jumped on with a weak CB at most. That's honestly BS and I have to admit this community in general tends to slip into this problem a lot. If you want to axe the rule, then actually work towards curbing this problem first especially

Now can I say the consent rule has its own issues? Yes. Reason why I'm okay with revising/rewording it. I just don't think removing it will just instantly make the RP better like some believe

Edited by Amaryllis

Nerd To The Core

Just sayin', if y'all wanna lift the consent rule for war and let this be a free for all warfest, there should probably be, like, some set of rules for how wars will work and whatnot. At least, I haven't seen such anywhere yet...

• Upvote 1

http://7kingdoms.net/skrp/

^It's a forum based nation rp. I dunno, it's kinda fun, you should totes check it out.

It's not MY Wiki. Let's get that out of the way. Useless is not a proper term since the wiki is a knowledge base for everyone. Trash yes. Unfinished is sad but true.

Whatever filth NatRP pumps out and leaks onto the wiki, that's where i step in and perform quality control. YOU ARE responsible for your own pages and if you're going to abandon them after filling in less than a paragraph. You bet your ass that i'm going to do something about it.

N/A

Edited by Lelouch Vi Britannia

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

Stop being babies over your nation being at risk. It's hurting the entire damn subforum.

I would also think either removing the Consent rule or changing the wording so more creative wars can start, it would make it more interesting if every event in an RP war wasn't pre-planned.

-Snip-

I saw Featherine post here and figured something bad happened....I was right :P.

Anyway, I think I should also provide some sort of suggestions on it.

1. Yes the consent rule is constricting, and yes I agree with Alice that it should not be completely abolished nor kept the same. Creative wars should be the new thing to replace it. Example: Meta Board and HBE fighting in Japan over the Island due to conflicting laws which are putting a strain on the Meta Board's economy.

2. I agree with limiting messed up tech but not the calendars. A calendar is just a set of days and kind of useless, we exist on Orbis and Orbis has some sort of calendar. We also exist on earth and we have an earth calendar.

Now, I will admit I do have some "bad" tech aka Knightmare Frames but aside from that what I have has a RL counterpart. I think the only think I dislike because it is OP for nations like myself or modern nations would be space nations and such. We are hundreds of years aways from that and I just think it is hurtful to the RP.

Thats my suggestions.

Edited by Lelouch Vi Britannia

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

It's not MY Wiki. Let's get that out of the way. Useless is not a proper term since the wiki is a knowledge base for everyone. Trash yes. Unfinished is sad but true.

Whatever filth NatRP pumps out and leaks onto the wiki, that's where i step in and perform quality control. YOU ARE responsible for your own pages and if you're going to abandon them after filling in less than a paragraph. You bet your ass that i'm going to do something about it.

Don't worry, I'm working on finishing them and plan to have them all complete by Friday (or sooner), sorry for making your job more difficult than it should be.

mOMPUVF.jpg

Don't worry, I'm working on finishing them and plan to have them all complete by Friday (or sooner), sorry for making your job more difficult than it should be.

Don't say sorry if i already hate you.

Don't say sorry if i already hate you.

What a lovely, and productive member of the NatRP community...

@Everyone here

Egotism will get in the way of RP, with or without the consent rule. All the consent rule, in its current incarnation, does, is enable the crippling egotism that's running rampant in this community.

Separating Ego from RP is not hard. One of my characters is about to be killed off on NationStates, along with an incredibly valuable military asset. Why? Because he got caught out of formation, surrounded by enemies.

Essentially the man screwed up, due to his character being overconfident and bloodlusted(and me RPing that character accurately). Which brings me to the REAL problem with NatRP, especially the pro-consent rule faction:

Most of you DON'T Role Play. You do not set a definite character for your kings/diplomats/generals/etc, and then commit to RPing them out faithfully (consequences be dammed.) Instead, you "RP" in the way most people "RP" a game like Fallout 4... Which is to say: You don't.

At best you create a shallow persona, which you RP till the Meta dictates you break character to "win". You're not Role Playing, you're Playing Roles, and YES there is a distinction.

Edited by The Sacred Lights

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

Just sayin', if y'all wanna lift the consent rule for war and let this be a free for all warfest, there should probably be, like, some set of rules for how wars will work and whatnot. At least, I haven't seen such anywhere yet...

Lee Young-suk and this guy here bring up a good point, in that without consent, there's really no regulation. And I'm not sure that will work out well. Rather, it'll likely fail horribly. I'm no expert on RPs, but even so, I can see that if there was no consent rule, what would keep anyone from hitting me with whatever strange loltech they had? At least currently, I can just tell someone to shove their mecha battlesuits and space battleships up their rearend, because I have no intention to deal with any unreasonable sci-fi fantasy element there exists, which practically is OP by design, because how in the name of Madoka am I to argue that anything beats your super-duper uber-mecha, when noone even knows how it properly works and the sole person defining that is the user? So, the sole way to get rid of a consent rule is to establish actual rules that restrict the excesses of scifi fantasy tech and establishes ways to determine outcomes that are not ambigious and "who cries the loudest".

Now, personally, as long as there is some way that I don't have to deal with every silly crap, I'm happy and I'm not going to advocate abolishing consent or your excesses. But it must be clear that one requires the other and that without consent, this RP will be broken till the day that actual regulation hits the other area. If that doesn't happen, abolishing consent is silly. And for that to happen, it will be up to the community to determine what on Orbis you people want this RP to be like, some kinda free-form RP or some properly-regulated system. Both are valid concepts with their own respective merits, in my opinion. But fantasy without consent works pretty much only when all RPers are on the same page and work it out between themselves, which by no means is guaranteed here. I don't even know most of you.

Also, as you might have guessed by the preceeding two paragraphs, I have little love for battling outlandish concepts. It's to me just some pain I want to avoid. Still, I acknowledge that a good part of the community would prefer not to part with that, so, as long as I will not have to argue, I won't argue. I hate arguing, it is not what I'm here for. However, I am also acknowledging that there is a merit to abolishing consent wars in a system that is not entirely consensual, and regulating thigs more. In which case, there'll be less freedom, but I would argue, that such is not the end of days and that sometimes some lines have to be drawn and certain RP has to be tamed for other RP to exist and the best way to avoid arguments is by providing proper regulation that keeps things moderated and from getting out of hand.

• Upvote 1

That's why I have no issues with reducing the military tech back to modern era, if we were to modify the consent rule, that way anyone can spend an hour or two on wikipedia and be up to snuff on how to beat some of these techs and also have to have an iota of military strategy built into any invasions or defense.

​A good example would be using airpower to take out enemy radars as a first strike, then once your opponent is blind in the skies using said air advantage to help the ground forces advance. Or for a defensive perspective, using several different bands of radar to prevent enemy airforces from being stealthy in the first place.

Well, I'm no expert on these things, but if I have to fight, I rather fight something I can look up. Not something that was made up to look cool in some show. Then I rather keep to myself and not bother at all.

What a lovely, and productive member of the NatRP community...

Egotism will get in the way of RP, with or without the consent rule. All the consent rule, in its current incarnation, does, is enable the crippling egotism that's running rampant in this community.

Separating Ego from RP is not hard. One of my characters is about to be killed off on NationStates, along with an incredibly valuable military asset. Why? Because he got caught out of formation, surrounded by enemies.

Essentially the man screwed up, due to his character being overconfident and bloodlusted(and me RPing that character accurately). Which brings me to the REAL problem with NatRP, especially the pro-consent rule faction:

Most of you DON'T Role Play. You do not set a definite character for your kings/diplomats/generals/etc, and then commit to RPing them out faithfully (consequences be dammed.) Instead, you "RP" in the way most people "RP" a game like Fallout 4... Which is to say: You don't.

At best you create a shallow persona, which you RP till the Meta dictates you break character to "win". You're not Role Playing, you're Playing Roles, and YES there is a distinction.

If you would please refrain from bolding and underlining in a manner that can be construed as rude that would be appreciated :D

• Upvote 1

nHvbDzt.png

Art by Faroreswind159

If you would please refrain from bolding and underlining in a manner that can be construed as rude that would be appreciated :D

Whoo! Thank the Gods that I did a minor thing you could nitpick! Otherwise, you might have had to address my points... Dodged a bullet, am I right?

Edited by The Sacred Lights

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif