OOC Discussion: NatRP Rules and Guidelines

I see reading comprehension is not your forte, please allow me to put it in a way you can understand

Good RP etiquette would mean not being a prick OOCly simply because you've been RPing for a decade and most of the others are new to the style of writing. These games are meant to be collaborative writing, not competitive.​

I comprehended it fine, it was simply a non issue. OOC =/= IC. If it does, then you're doing something wrong.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

I comprehended it fine, it was simply a non issue. OOC =/= IC. If it does, then you're doing something wrong.

Except, it isn't a non issue. You have explicitly quit playing NatRP, you clearly have no interest in participating again, therefore what the &#33;@#&#036; is your goal of posting here beyond just feeding off negative attention?

Except, it isn't a non issue. You have explicitly quit playing NatRP, you clearly have no interest in participating again, therefore what the !@#$ is your goal of posting here beyond just feeding off negative attention?

Well it started off as me calling out someone for being hateful, and then replying to someone that the egotism will be/is an issue even with the consent rule in place.

That's right, someone else actually brought up that people throw fits when they don't win first! :o

All I did is point out that this behavior is but a symptom of a larger issue... I didn't start being a prick until you people decided that, of all the flavors available, you wanted to be salty.

Edited by The Sacred Lights

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><span style='color: #b22222'><span class='bbc_underline'>"<em class='bbc'>We regret that the size of the multiverse has permitted them to exist for so long unchecked."</em></span></span><br />Remember, <em class='bbc'>I'M </em>the New Douche, not the other 7 New Guys. I'm <em class='bbc'>not</em> a Majority.</span><br />rKC4GSg.gif

Well it started off as me calling out someone for being hateful, and then replying to someone that the egotism will be/is an issue even with the consent rule in place.

That's right, someone else actually brought up that people throw fits when they don't win first! :o

All I did is point out that this behavior is but a symptom of a larger issue... I didn't start being a prick until you people decided that, of all the flavors available, you wanted to be salty.

Your own behavior is part of that issue you are harping on about, how do you not know this?

Ah yes, I understand fully. I refuse to get involved with politics, personally. Never know how leading a political party will effect you, what if I become Literally Hitler?!?

In all seriousness, not wanting to try to perfect your hobby, and fearing doing so will make you a completely different person is... Sad... Literally, a depressing thought.

The idea that you feel your own self image is so vulnerable, that you will become an Angry Mayan Cosplayer like me if you improve yourself, is genuinely revolting. That is excessively weak willed.

If you're not being serious, tho, then all you've done is... Literally nothing. Except make yourself look delusional. And while I can tolerate prickishness, but insanity is never a flattering color to wear.

You know I'm going to tell you something. I've been writing since I was a kid. One thing I've been writing the longest is fan fiction. Now fan fiction is a strict hobby. There's no money to be made or anything. People do it because its fun. Now I've seen some fanfic writers who can be professional and I've seen some writers who need to retake English but at the end of the day I understand it's a hobby for them and they're at different levels. I don't expect them to perfect their hobby (would it be nice, yes but I don't make it a requirement) because its just that a hobby. If you're the type to perfect one, good for you if that's your way of having fun but don't make it as a requirement for everyone else it makes you look like a know-it-all (like that star basketball player who puts his teammates down for not being as good) and sucks the fun out of it for them. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and enjoyed not be made to feel like work. And yes there's a difference between helping people improve and putting them down because they're not at your level (the latter you're in).

Nerd To The Core

Ah yes, I understand fully. I refuse to get involved with politics, personally. Never know how leading a political party will effect you, what if I become Literally Hitler?!?

In all seriousness, not wanting to try to perfect your hobby, and fearing doing so will make you a completely different person is... Sad... Literally, a depressing thought.

The idea that you feel your own self image is so vulnerable, that you will become an Angry Mayan Cosplayer like me if you improve yourself, is genuinely revolting. That is excessively weak willed.

If you're not being serious, tho, then all you've done is... Literally nothing. Except make yourself look delusional. I can tolerate prickishness, but insanity is never a flattering color to wear.

Yes I refuse to change my rp to make some self righteous &#33;@#&#036; happy, especially when I find my rp perfectly fine. If you don't like it don't read it. I can perfectly well write a 4 page essay, but I'm not gonna do that because it's utterly retarded though considering you do it that makes sense I suppose. Yes it's a hobby and I'll do it the way I choose to and I refuse to let an egotistical scum like you tell me how it should be done.

#WALDOASF SIGGIF.gif.fbe87157f6507ae8c6df0ee1d66bd3b1.gif

Your own behavior is part of that issue you are harping on about, how do you not know this?

No, it is not. Not at all. A is not B.

A, in this context, is the Egotism that makes someone completely unwilling to post loses, or lose a character, or have a lack of control.

B, is merely cocky abrasiveness. A cocky, and beligerent person can still admit they've lost. A cocky person, in fact, is more likely to lose. (Again, my main man Kan Ek is gonna die in another RP because he got cocky.)

As much of a prick as I am, I can still post loses. I can still accept defeat. I can still let my massive pride take a blow, and bend over in acceptance of this fact.

My brand of Ego type B, will not result in the Moderator's complaint box being filled up cause someone beat me fair and square. Nor will it result in me refusing to accept that the enemy who's outplayed me will beat me.

Ego type A, on the other hand DOES result in the Mods being flooded (to the extent that one ragequit being a mod). It does result in people being unable to accept losses. It does cause people to throw a tantrum when they don't get their way IC.

Essentially, I'm a Gym Brat complaining about Tantrum Throwing, and you're saying in response: "Well you throw things around too!".. Well yeah, but not because I'm salty and want to break everything in the room!

I'm throwing stuff around to practice my log tossing, which I happen to take pride in.

You know I'm going to tell you something. I've been writing since I was a kid. One thing I've been writing the longest is fan fiction. Now fan fiction is a strict hobby. There's no money to be made or anything. People do it because its fun. Now I've seen some fanfic writers who can be professional and I've seen some writers who need to retake English but at the end of the day I understand it's a hobby for them and they're at different levels. I don't expect them to perfect their hobby (would it be nice, yes but I don't make it a requirement) because its just that a hobby. If you're the type to perfect one, good for you if that's your way of having fun but don't make it as a requirement for everyone else it makes you look like a know-it-all (like that star basketball player who puts his teammates down for not being as good) and sucks the fun out of it for them. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and enjoyed not be made to feel like work. And yes there's a difference between helping people improve and putting them down because they're not at your level (the latter you're in).

I understand the point you're making. But I do have to point one thing our: Fanfic is not communal by nature. You can do it on your own without even needing an audience, let alone interacting with anyone.

RPing is, by contrast, communal. Which means if someone is messing things up IC, it messes things up for everyone IC.

It's like the difference between your room being messy, and you making a mess in the kitchen. Naturally, your roommates will be a bit irked with you.

Yes I refuse to change my rp to make some self righteous !@#$ happy, especially when I find my rp perfectly fine. If you don't like it don't read it. I can perfectly well write a 4 page essay, but I'm not gonna do that because it's utterly retarded though considering you do it that makes sense I suppose. Yes it's a hobby and I'll do it the way I choose to and I refuse to let an egotistical scum like you tell me how it should be done.

That moment that actual effort is equated with being mentally handicapped. Ah yes, the retards: masters of science, poetry, business, and literature. Only a broken mind could wish to master their craft! How silly of me.

• Upvote 1

That moment that actual effort is equated with being mentally handicapped. Ah yes, the retards: masters of science, poetry, business, and literature. Only a broken mind could wish to master their craft! How silly of me.

If you wanna write an essay of what you call "proper rp" be my guest, my point is don't ask me to change how I do it. I like my rp and I don't need someone like you to correct me just because it isn't to your terms.

• Upvote 1

If you wanna write an essay of what you call "proper rp" be my guest, my point is don't ask me to change how I do it. I like my rp and I don't need someone like you to correct me just because it isn't to your terms.

Be bad at the craft all you want. All I've been complaining about in this thread is people throwing a tantrum, just because they can't stand the idea of losing.

If you want to type single paragraph posts, that are utterly bland. Fine.

But if you are one of the Problem Children I speak of, with the unstainable ego that can't accept losses. Then: Yeah, you should change that.

• Upvote 1

I understand the point you're making. But I do have to point one thing our: Fanfic is not communal by nature. You can do it on your own without even needing an audience, let alone interacting with anyone.

RPing is, by contrast, communal. Which means if someone is messing things up IC, it messes things up for everyone IC.

It's like the difference between your room being messy, and you making a mess in the kitchen. Naturally, your roommates will be a bit irked with you.

If what you say is true then what makes you think how you RP is the right way. Again, there's helping people to improve and then there's putting people down. Guess where you fall into? By the way, at the end of the day its still a freaking hobby. Just because someone doesn't reach YOUR expectation of RP doesn't give you the right to push what you think is fun on them. I can honestly say RP that's long as hell but not fun to read is crap RP because I fall asleep halfway through but if that's how someone else has fun they can go at it (I'll even force myself to read it if it might pertain to my nation). I don't require rpers to post a certain way because again they're at different levels and have different styles. What I can do (and what I suggest you should start doing) is give them a few tips that might need to help improve. Key word suggest. Don't shove it down their throats and don't make it seem like if they don't take it they'll fail at something that is again suppose to be fun for them!

And by the way on the subject of egos. OOC ego is just as much important as IC ego. I've seen players leave because they can't stand people OOC wise. You say RP is communal. Well if the person you're rping with is insufferable OOC wise. Why should I RP with him?

Nerd To The Core

If what you say is true then what makes you think how you RP is the right way. Again, there's helping people to improve and then there's putting people down. Guess where you fall into? By the way, at the end of the day its still a freaking hobby. Just because someone doesn't reach YOUR expectation of RP doesn't give you the right to push what you think is fun on them. I can honestly say RP that's long as hell but not fun to read is crap RP because I fall asleep halfway through but if that's how someone else has fun they can go at it (I'll even force myself to read it if it might pertain to my nation). I don't require rpers to post a certain way because again they're at different levels and have different styles. What I can do (and what I suggest you should start doing) is give them a few tips that might need to help improve. Key word suggest. Don't shove it down their throats and don't make it seem like if they don't take it they'll fail at something that is again suppose to be fun for them!

And by the way on the subject of egos. OOC ego is just as much important as IC ego. I've seen players leave because they can't stand people OOC wise. You say RP is communal. Well if the person you're rping with is insufferable OOC wise. Why should I RP with him?

Ah yes, not addressing my points... Again. Alright, instead of indulging you this time, I'm just going to ask one question. Manage to answer that and I'll reply to the various accusations you've levied here.

Here's my question: Do you think that what I am saying is fundamentally incorrect?

Do you not agree, that tantrum throwing and refusing to post losses is detrimental to RP? Do you actually disagree with what I am saying, or just the way you're saying it?

Be bad at the craft all you want. All I've been complaining about in this thread is people throwing a tantrum, just because they can't stand the idea of losing.

If you want to type single paragraph posts, that are utterly bland. Fine.

But if you are one of the Problem Children I speak of, with the unstainable ego that can't accept losses. Then: Yeah, you should change that.

Saying it's bad is your opinion and no I'm not bothered by simple things such as mentioning me or my name in your rp. And i don't have enough care to report to the mods. My issue comes with people telling me I should change my rp because it doesn't suit them. However getting back on topic, I agree the consent rule needs to be fixed or removed, however you and your self righteous bs needs to stop

Ah yes, not addressing my points... Again. Alright, instead of indulging you this time, I'm just going to ask one question. Manage to answer that and I'll reply to the various accusations you've levied here.

Here's my question: Do you think that what I am saying is fundamentally incorrect?

Do you not agree, that tantrum throwing and refusing to post losses is detrimental to RP? Do you actually disagree with what I am saying, or just the way you're saying it?

Okay let me be frank, you have points. I've stated in the past you have. But here's my biggest issue is yes you're attitude about how you throw your points around. You say someone's in the wrong for throwing a tantrum for taking looses (by the way where has anyone ever done that, we've done wars in this RP where people have took out looses. Hell when I RP my expansions I always made it clear I took looses) but then you think you're justified in being an ass when presenting your ideas. Its as Sven said, you're being self-righteous. I've said it above that you can have the greatest ideas in the world but if you come off as condescending people will tell you to go screw yourself and not listen. And why should they listen to you? For the love of Pete I've seen players who have made similar suggestions as you get better reactions because they're mature about it.

And where was I avoiding your points? You said in that post that RP is communal and if one person is bad then it hurts everyone. I responded by telling you pushing your expectations on everyone wasn't going to work either.

Also @Darth Saarai don't think anyone is muting anyone for their opinions (unless you're talking about on discord) but if you have opinions people are going to disagree. It happens. Don't think that's bad

Nerd To The Core

So... Now we are muting people for their opinions? Well, it seems that NatRP has gotten to a point where it can't recover from.

Well considering he has only proven to be a dick about his criticism one would think so, but even he has a valid opinion about some of the occurrences here. You, however are one worth muting. Especially given the way you made sure to point out every aspect of your star wars OP bullshit when confronted with the idea of being nuked by someone willing to lose everything for the cost of winning. Everyone's calling each other egotistical but tbh i would absolutely hate to see your reaction if you got crushed in a war without the consent rule

Okay, let me clarify (partially because I wasn't given info before hand), The Sacred Lights got muted for supposedly starting an argument while no one else who was involved were given the same punishment. In fact, I would say that it is likely they got out of it without any punishment whatsoever.

Also, Sven, my reaction to being taken out without the consent rule really wouldn't be as bad as you say. Personally, I wouldn't mind being beaten if the person who did it actually made a good post detailing it.

I didn't mute him, I said I was going to remake the thread since The Sacred Lights can't seem to do anything but shitpost, and I'd rather have a constructive conversation rather than a circlejerk over how much better x's RP is compared to everyone else.

(It is late morning where live.)

*Just Woke Up*

*Is informed that there is something going on in the thread.*

*Looks*

*Sees equivalent of a bombed-out bunker with the survivors still yelling at each other.*

So, erm.

I know that a lot of people are new here, but this discussion / series of complaints is nothing new.  If you look down the list of threads on this very forum section you'll find them easily.

Now, if this is about the consent rule, it was mentioned earlier but there's a different section called "Organic RP."

Yes, it's dead.  We mourn.

But a friend (Solaris Congress) and I have made an attempt to maintain a thread/story arc that tries to be as non-violent as possible.  A lack of consent rule shouldn't be the apocalypse:  people should still be able to make interesting stories with the only caveat being "the plot is not preordained."

Now granted, the particular exhibition thread might not interest most people for two reasons:

1.  No Consent Rule (but then again it's in Organic)

2.  Not intended to have violence (although sorry Britannia, sending heavy capital ships is often misconstrued as an act of aggression.  You don't even have to shoot, just ask Commodore Perry.)

In the end, if people are really frustrated with the consent rule Organic is open for you guys.  The only reason why it's dead is because it seems that most people here actually seem to like the Consent Rule.  As such these threads complaining about it are kind of redundant.  Don't like how the Consent Rule holds you back?  Join Organic!  Lots of us have been RPing for years and we'd be happy to help you out.

• Upvote 1

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

I... pretty much agree with everything Shex said. Though I personally feel that Organic isn't dead, just hibernating. Mostly because I want to start some sort of arc or something in it, but... I just keep hitting a mental roadblock. Maybe some fresh blood filling parts of the map out could help me, ecause there's still too much white for my tastes. I dunno.

Member of the Union of Multiversal States

"No! I must kill the Karlings" he shouted
The dynasty tree said "No, John. You are the Karlings"
And then John was a cadet branch.

Assuming that this last bit is in reference to the proposal that wars be decided by popular vote...

None of this really addresses the fact that such a system would pretty much turn wars into a purely OOC affair. Because, ultimately, what someone posts in a war would become largely irrelevant, all that matters is whether one is well liked enough to get votes. I could go and type up a couple lines saying that I'm invading someone, and pretty much autowin so long as I can get enough folks to back me OOC. At that point, none of the IC politics or actions matter, all that is relevant is whether one is liked OOC.

...That was a suggestion? It was in reference to the fact that your actions should have consequences. (and interactions with other RP leaders is influenced by popularity) I don't see the point of RPing in a vacuum.

• Upvote 1

[insert quote here]

Well, that escalated quickly...

His Royal Highness Emperor Tristar Majestica

Emperor of the Imperial Republic of Hungadada