OOC Discussion: NatRP Rules and Guidelines

So, I've participated in about 8 or 9 of this style of nation simulation RP games before, and this one by far is the first I have encountered with such a limited amount of rules, and strangely, even less amount of people following them. I will be using this topic and this one as a minimum guideline for this discussion. Firstly, I'd like to either have the above threads merged together, or included alongside the NatRP map thread, to ensure that people actually read the damn things before posting. I'd also be willing to step up to maintain the NatRP Reference List and Current Treaties & Agreements threads, since both are owned by members no longer active in the RP community. I'd like to allow some time to hear other people's ideas before adding any other ideas to the thread, but please, if you are a participant in NatRP, tell me what rules you think this community needs.

I'm working on the treaties stuff. We do need discussion for this, but first, I need someone to answer this question: The Consent Rule - do we really need it? I mean, it would be funny for a leader to go "hey bro, wanna war?"

mOMPUVF.jpg

The consent rule is one I am aware of the intent, but not certain the explicit wording is healthy for gameplay, since it effectively means that there can be no wars unless it's two people actively agreeing to exactly what can occur, which means either a war in whitespace or someone willingly giving up land, the latter of which is rarely a common occurrence.

Excuse me, but i guess you posted this kind of thread in the wrong section.

I don't blame the current Moderator (Lelouch) but we need someone more active. If Lelouch became a little inactive then we have to find out the reason. And the appointment of New Moderator is not so urgent if the current inactivity of Lelouch is only for limited time.

I think the rules are enough and we do not need to change it anymore. And if we need a new moderator which able to monitor and maintain the rules including map, treaties, and references. Perhaps we should bring back Eva-Beatrice because she had a well-experiences on it.

If we are unable to bring her back then we need to appoint new moderator or ask the current moderator to be more active.

Also, It will be great if these threads merged into one but who is able to do that?

TL;DR no need to change rules and we only need moderator to maintain References, Treaties and Map threads

These are my opinion,

Thanks,

Edited by Lee Young-suk
  • Upvote 1

His Excellency President of the United States of Asia

According to this thread,
https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17170-national-rp-rules-guidelines-read-before-posting/
which you should have read before ever posting in this subforum,

2.) You have the option to allow or disallow OOC/IC chatter in your thread.

This means that should you make an RP story/event that you would like to discuss in another thread, you simply post in your OP of your story/event that a new thread will be created for discussion. Within your OP you can also state that this story/event is only between 'select' players - just to keep the RP a bit more clean.

When you create a new thread for the OOC discussions you will use the same topic, but just add a tag like [OOC] or [OOC Discussion] - then in the OP of that new thread, you just link the community to your IC topic for ease-of-access. 

This system allows for a cleaner RP for everyone. You also have the option to carry on your IC discussion through other platforms like IRC (if you're ancient), Discord, Skype, etc...etc..

This is perfectly acceptable to have this topic in this subforum, especially with my explicit including of [OOC Discussion] in the title of the thread.

Lelouch is not a RP moderator, he is simply the mapmaker, nor was Eva or Featherine a RP mod, Alice is the only current RP moderator and has not logged in for over a month, hence me asking around on discord and the decision to create this thread to allow the entire RP community to discuss a future path for me to be able to approach Alex or whomever he appoints to be a RP forum moderator with a plan agreed upon by those who still play this RP game.

I don't blame the current Moderator (Lelouch) but we need someone more active. If Lelouch became a little inactive then we have to find out the reason. And the appointment of New Moderator is not so urgent if the current inactivity of Lelouch is only for limited time.

I think the rules are enough and we do not need to change it anymore. And if we need a new moderator which able to monitor and maintain the rules including map, treaties, and references. Perhaps we should bring back Eva-Beatrice because she had a well-experiences on it.

If we are unable to bring her back then we need to appoint new moderator or ask the current moderator to be more active.

Also, It will be great if these threads merged into one but who is able to do that?

TL;DR no need to change rules and we only need moderator to maintain References, Treaties and Map threads

These are my opinion,

Thanks,

Lelouch will be active again pretty soon (or so he said), and I'll be handling the treaties page from now on.

Edited by Cheonsa

mOMPUVF.jpg

I'm working on the treaties stuff. We do need discussion for this, but first, I need someone to answer this question: The Consent Rule - do we really need it? I mean, it would be funny for a leader to go "hey bro, wanna war?"

I'm still for the consent rule if for anything to avoid drama and to honestly not waste people's time when they try to type up a War and the person they want to war either never responds or rage quits. From what I understand people don't mind war rps but there are those like me who admits its not my favorite part of nation rp and doesn't do it for the fun of it. It's also the reason why I'm for it because I'll usually ask this: does your nation have an IC reason for wanting to war me. If you don't I'll agree to do an rp that works up to a reason but if just want to skip to the fighting I'll say no. Edited by Amaryllis
  • Upvote 1

Nerd To The Core

Actually I got an idea to help work with the consent rule. I was thinking a thread where players can sign up for automatic consent to wars if this makes sense.

Please elaborate?

mOMPUVF.jpg

I have two suggestions

1.Fixed time rates, this will allow us to have a set time rate to work with and will great decrease in time confusion,a time rate of 1 day=1 month seems good.

2.No utterly unrealistic madness, nation themes are fine, but they shouldn't be used to gain a ridiculously unfair advantage,(like the middle East somehow being a super rich Utopia with over a billion people)

"If a person is satisfied with everything,then he is a complete idiot.A normal person cannot be satisfied with everything."~Vladimir Putin

"Every human being makes mistakes."~Ian Smith

We do not know what tomorrow will bring. We are not prophets. This is a step in the dark. We can only proceed into the future with faith.~Pieter Wilhelm Botha

Please elaborate?

Someone makes a thread that asks players who doesn't mind going to war and doesn't need to be asked (I can volunteer to maintain it) hint automatic consent. That way players know who to ask manually with minimal drama.

Nerd To The Core

Look! It is moved.

Why don't just ask one person to handle these threads? So, it will be seems more simple if it is on one hand. As it was said it will be merged. So, when people once registered they will automatically listed and fill the References List, Treaties and Agreement List, and Consent to War thread but it doesn't need to be compulsory before roleplaying. Just make it integrated in one person and one thread.

And how about "mandatory comments for every open roleplay posts?" it is to make this NatRP became more active.

Edited by Lee Young-suk

His Excellency President of the United States of Asia

These are my opinion,

Thanks,

I should be active again soon.

I've been inactive because the war and school (Which im graduating from soon)

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

I have two suggestions

1.Fixed time rates, this will allow us to have a set time rate to work with and will great decrease in time confusion,a time rate of 1 day=1 month seems good.

2.No utterly unrealistic madness, nation themes are fine, but they shouldn't be used to gain a ridiculously unfair advantage,(like the middle East somehow being a super rich Utopia with over a billion people)

I hate to say this, but I'm against your suggestion. My nation is full of unrealistic madness, but I'll always balance my wars by not using them against nations with primi - I mean, pre-2020 war technology, kinda like what Mogar said. If superpowered nations could do the same, that would be better than banning our creativity outright.

mOMPUVF.jpg

To be quite honest, i would support resetting everyone to a certain time period and have to RP advancing their technology as the time goes, as it isnt *realistic* for space-faring nations to be co-existing with modern-time based nations. It does give an unfair advantage, where modern-day nations could only use guerilla warfare while their opponents can simply use a spaceship to use orbital bombardment.

I would also think either removing the Consent rule or changing the wording so more creative wars can start, it would make it more interesting if every event in an RP war wasn't pre-planned.

tumblr_nrkmfbUz9q1uomx7lo1_400.gif
Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC

To be quite honest, i would support resetting everyone to a certain time period and have to RP advancing their technology as the time goes, as it isnt *realistic* for space-faring nations to be co-existing with modern-time based nations. It does give an unfair advantage, where modern-day nations could only use guerilla warfare while their opponents can simply use a spaceship to use orbital bombardment.

I would also think either removing the Consent rule or changing the wording so more creative wars can start, it would make it more interesting if every event in an RP war wasn't pre-planned.

1,) This I must beg to differ on, as doing such would cause less people to actually rp. I mean, I have spent nearly a year with the tech I have right now, which has provided me with plenty of ideas. 

2.) While this may be true, I can conceive many ways that such tech could work. For instance, have a rule where if you are at a certain level in tech, you can not invade nations which have modern tech, but they can attack you. You would have to be limited if attacked by one of these nations, just to level the playing field a bit.

3.) NO. JUST NO. Sorry, but the consent rule is one of the only things that has stopped players like Abu Haddad (glad he is gone btw) from taking over your nation without doing anything. That is the exact reason it was added, but I can agree with a rewording of it. So lets say someone wants to fight you. You can either say that you are okay with the war, or you can decline. There would be no need for Pre-planned wars if this was the case. And of course, like many of the Organic Rp guys have said in the past, try to make roleplay feel as if it is happening naturally, so that means, if you are making a post that involves multiple players, do not skip forwards and backwards in time too often. However, if you are making a post that is just involving yourself, it is okay. Just a suggestion.

4.) I would like to make a quick point about something that has been bothering me. People posting threads that belong in orbis central under National Affairs. In short, if you are seeing this, if a post you are making is not related to your nation Ic'ly, please make sure it is in the right section. Thanks.

1,) This I must beg to differ on, as doing such would cause less people to actually rp. I mean, I have spent nearly a year with the tech I have right now, which has provided me with plenty of ideas.

You beg to differ because you dont want to lose your godlike status.

2.) While this may be true, I can conceive many ways that such tech could work. For instance, have a rule where if you are at a certain level in tech, you can not invade nations which have modern tech, but they can attack you. You would have to be limited if attacked by one of these nations, just to level the playing field a bit.

This really doesnt change the fact that it is unrealistic to RP space-faring nations with Modern-tech nations. To be frank, i dont really care what era you choose, but make it realistic.

3.) NO. JUST NO. Sorry, but the consent rule is one of the only things that has stopped players like Abu Haddad (glad he is gone btw) from taking over your nation without doing anything. That is the exact reason it was added, but I can agree with a rewording of it. So lets say someone wants to fight you. You can either say that you are okay with the war, or you can decline. There would be no need for Pre-planned wars if this was the case. And of course, like many of the Organic Rp guys have said in the past, try to make roleplay feel as if it is happening naturally, so that means, if you are making a post that involves multiple players, do not skip forwards and backwards in time too often. However, if you are making a post that is just involving yourself, it is okay. Just a suggestion.

I understand your scared of change, but removing the rule and replacing it with something less restrictive isnt a bad thing to be quite honest.

4.) I would like to make a quick point about something that has been bothering me. People posting threads that belong in orbis central under National Affairs. In short, if you are seeing this, if a post you are making is not related to your nation Ic'ly, please make sure it is in the right section. Thanks.

People do post in National Affairs with posts that dont belong in it. Report it and let the mods handle it. Otheewise its going to stay unless a mod happens to randomly check this forums, which they rarely do because they usually focus on Alliance Affairs amd the General Discussion/Debate forums.

Tbh im too lazy to break the quotes down to answer this, so i bolded my response.

My gripe with removing the advanced technology is the fact it'd be exceedingly difficult to maintain a core concept of my nation with only modern technology, if that rule applied only to military technology I'd be fine with that.

On the other hand, I literally have made it explict I'd use whatever technology level my opponents are one, if I fought Darth Saarai I'd be using Battlestars, if I fought Brazil everything would be modern equipment.

The consent rule has to change at least slightly or else we're going to have the exceptional levels of noninteraction, I should not have to have no ability to remove a colony that is literally touching my border when I have RP'd being openly against any form of colonalism

sorted my replies to line up with yours :P

Okay again the automatic consent thread is still up for discussion. Reason why I suggest is because at the end of the day there are players who do want the consent rule around to prevent troublesome players from pulling off stupid stunts. I know some people will say just ignore it but when you're in an RP community this small they can be deadly for it. And there are those like me who want it because again I don't do wars for the fun of it and only will do it if your IC reason is valid (i.e. you didn't like how my leader is going psycho). If you don't have a reason I'm all for building up an RP towards it.

At least with the thread players are aware of those they don't need to check with if they ever want to kick off some bloodshed and as said drama will be kept to a minimal.

I can also suggest that if players make a thread that's going to involve war they put up a warning and tell the players that if you post here you're risking being attacked.

Preplanned wars: Honestly this should be up to the players and not rules. Some players prefer to plan out their RPs rather their reason be they're just anners or they want to make sure the war goes without hurt feelings. It's a matter of preference

Tech: Honestly I don't support rolling it back if for anything I know a few players who did put a lot of effort into building up to their current tech levels and yeah having your tech rolledback after a lot of work will make a player just quit. Now maybe we have a rule that says if more technological nations go to war with a modern one restrict the tech used so it can only be modern (unless the modern tech player says they don't mind the challenge).

Not trying to bash you Alice.

Nerd To The Core

Okay again the automatic consent thread is still up for discussion. Reason why I suggest is because at the end of the day there are players who do want the consent rule around to prevent troublesome players from pulling off stupid stunts. I know some people will say just ignore it but when you're in an RP community this small they can be deadly for it. And there are those like me who want it because again I don't do wars for the fun of it and only will do it if your IC reason is valid (i.e. you didn't like how my leader is going psycho). If you don't have a reason I'm all for building up an RP towards it.

At least with the thread players are aware of those they don't need to check with if they ever want to kick off some bloodshed and as said drama will be kept to a minimal.

I can also suggest that if players make a thread that's going to involve war they put up a warning and tell the players that if you post here you're risking being attacked.

Preplanned wars: Honestly this should be up to the players and not rules. Some players prefer to plan out their RPs rather their reason be they're just anners or they want to make sure the war goes without hurt feelings. It's a matter of preference

Tech: Honestly I don't support rolling it back if for anything I know a few players who did put a lot of effort into building up to their current tech levels and yeah having your tech rolledback after a lot of work will make a player just quit. Now maybe we have a rule that says if more technological nations go to war with a modern one restrict the tech used so it can only be modern (unless the modern tech player says they don't mind the challenge).

Not trying to bash you Alice.

I dont necessarily agree with the consent waive thread. Either A) dismantle the rule or make it less restrictive

Or

B.) Keep the status quo and let NatRP die because there isnt surprising events.

Of course we shouldnt let unrealistic "i invade i take everything" pop up, but a well thought out invasion and realistic invasion that doesnt end with "all ur land belongs to us" on the same post are looked down upon because of people dont want to leave their comfort zone. Nations irl wouldnt go to their enemies and ask for permission to attack them.

Tech - I wouldn't care about the tech issue but i seen it happen quite often where a random rper who comes in as space-faring act arrogant and develope a godlike mindset and is basically godmodding.

As a former regular of NatRP, I would like to give me 2 cents on this: The Consent Rule is stupid and is the biggest restrictor of a free-flowing, dynamic RP.

I think a fair middle ground regarding it to still have the consent rule, but make it so that once a war is consented to and any restrictions are in place and agreed on, that anything goes.

Those who are over-aggressive IC'ly will be naturally punished by everyone else ganging up on them to contain them. If that doesn't happen, then it'll just be everyone else's fault that the over-aggressive nation is so dominating.

Stop being babies over your nation being at risk. It's hurting the entire damn subforum.

new_forum_sig_2.png

Resetting technology? No thanks, I'll just keep balancing wars by not using Ion Cannons against pre-2020 nations.

Resetting technology? No thanks, I'll just keep balancing wars by not using Ion Cannons against pre-2020 nations.

mOMPUVF.jpg

I dont necessarily agree with the consent waive thread. Either A) dismantle the rule or make it less restrictive

Or

B.) Keep the status quo and let NatRP die because there isnt surprising events.

Of course we shouldnt let unrealistic "i invade i take everything" pop up, but a well thought out invasion and realistic invasion that doesnt end with "all ur land belongs to us" on the same post are looked down upon because of people dont want to leave their comfort zone. Nations irl wouldnt go to their enemies and ask for permission to attack them.

Tech - I wouldn't care about the tech issue but i seen it happen quite often where a random rper who comes in as space-faring act arrogant and develope a godlike mindset and is basically godmodding.

Consent: I could say the consent waive does make the rule less restricive as said its up for discussion (such as if a player who hasn't waived their consent attacks one who has, the attacker waives their consent and can be open for attack by allies and such for that conflict). It always for players to be aware of who doesn't have to be asked and thus if they want to kick start something interesting they can jump on such and such (although I think wars won't always make things interesting if anything they can get old really quick, I can make an argument that the stagnation comes from lack of replies to those who have set up some good rps). I think its a fair middleground.

If you think that won't work then fine say outright invasions can't be allowed without consent but maybe nations can have spy networks set up in a possible rival nation, have their nation citizens that are visiting a country cause a ruckus i.e Lelouch rps out Britannian citizens getting into it with a Wintery border guard, be allowed to hack into a rival nation's government server all without consent. Aka let the small things be allowed, which themselves can cause tension and possibly lead to more than just physical conflict (people tend to forget nation rp isn't always about war)

Tech: Again, I have to say putting up a rule that allows only modern tech in wars (unless both players agree otherwise) is better suited than just rolling back some people's work.

Nerd To The Core