ODN Declaration of Existence

OsRavan

Welcome to to PW, OsRavan.  NPO will be a good protector for you and the starter aid really helps push through the lower-tiers which can be pretty brutal with raiding here.

I don't know why this would be surprising. It comes with the territory if you maintain the same brand across different games. With brand recognition, there's obviously some major benefits but you bring the baggage along as well. 

If you want a clean slate, literally starting with a clean slate helps. 

Generally speaking, when you migrate games you're looking for a clean slate.

There's nothing inherently wrong with bringing a community in from elsewhere. There's just this circle-jerk here about not wanting to be (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) when 90% of the active playerbase came from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways).

The game has new alliances formed from groups that were friends from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), we have people who never knew (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), and we have migrated communities from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways). That's a good mix and should be valued for what it is.

Superbia

vuSNqof.jpg

Generally speaking, when you migrate games you're looking for a clean slate.

There's nothing inherently wrong with bringing a community in from elsewhere. There's just this circle-jerk here about not wanting to be (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) when 90% of the active playerbase came from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways).

The game has new alliances formed from groups that were friends from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), we have people who never knew (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), and we have migrated communities from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways). That's a good mix and should be valued for what it is.

There's nothing inherently wrong about anything ODN is doing here. However, branding yourself as the community from another game (note: same name, same flag, similar grouping FA-wise, same long-time leader, NPO probably talked them into joining PnW and signing a protectorate from the get-go, etc.) is a double edged sword. On one hand, people treat you way more seriously than some small no name micro and thus you have more political capital than some random alliance with no pedigree. On the other hand, anything tarnishing your brand will stick with you, because that's how human psychology works. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Brands are extremely powerful, it's the lens of how the outside world perceives you and even how you perceive yourself. There's a reason why so many (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) players have made the conscious decision to separate themselves from the alliances they were in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways). Imagine if Yosodog had decided to form an alliance called MCXA/SNX instead of BK. Many (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) veterans would get super triggered and have an indelible image seared into their heads immediately. 

That's just how human psychology works around brands. Don't jump into the fire and then !@#$ about the heat.

• Upvote 4

The Coalition Discord: https://discord.gg/WBzNRGK

There's nothing inherently wrong about anything ODN is doing here. However, branding yourself as the community from another game (note: same name, same flag, similar grouping FA-wise, same long-time leader, NPO probably talked them into joining PnW and signing a protectorate from the get-go, etc.) is a double edged sword. On one hand, people treat you way more seriously than some small no name micro and thus you have more political capital than some random alliance with no pedigree. On the other hand, anything tarnishing your brand will stick with you, because that's how human psychology works. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Brands are extremely powerful, it's the lens of how the outside world perceives you and even how you perceive yourself. There's a reason why so many (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) players have made the conscious decision to separate themselves from the alliances they were in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways). Imagine if Yosodog had decided to form an alliance called MCXA/SNX instead of BK. Many (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) veterans would get super triggered and have an indelible image seared into their heads immediately. 

That's just how human psychology works around brands. Don't jump into the fire and then !@#$ about the heat.

:blink:  buries all references I have made about Cornerstone returning to our CCC roots

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

An addendum here, it's not too late to change things. The game is more exciting when you branch out and make friends you didn't have in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), when you leave at least some of that legacy back there where it belongs. You can change your alliance name, maybe try out a different form of gov, or sign some people that look like fun.

• Upvote 3

Having been talked into joining ODN:PW by OsRavan after a lengthy conversation re: our choice of protector, I can assure you that we're allies because of a genuine friendship, not because we're lapdogs. :rolleyes:

Also hello. :)

Implying lapdogs don't enjoy a genuine love for their masters.

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I understand the trepidation against (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) alliances.  I don't think anyone wants to see this game turn into another (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways).  And having a world where most alliances don't trace their lineage to (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) is a good thing.

That being said if this brings over more ODN players from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) that's a good thing.  I look forward to seeing more ODN people playing P&W.

Edited by Azaghul
  • Upvote 3
GnWq7CW.png

I understand the trepidation against (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) alliances.  I don't think anyone wants to see this game turn into another (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways).  And having a world where most alliances don't trace their lineage to (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) is a good thing.

That being said if this brings over more ODN players from (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) that's a good thing.  I look forward to seeing more ODN people playing P&W.

I dunno, Azaghul, I reckon (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) had a pretty good run. :P

• Upvote 1

being an ODNista in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways), i can say that this specific point isn't true...we've had an ongoing discussion on the ODN boards about how to revitalize our activity levels and ways to grow ODN outside of (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways)...an ODN branch in PW was one of the first suggestions brought up...

• Upvote 2