Why Do Liberals Celebrate Christmas?

Donald Trump

So why are liberals fine with moaning about the 10 commandments then?

The 10 commandment:

1 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me. - This isn't inherently good, just religious garbage. I also like how it implies other gods exist. lol.

2 - Thou shalt not worship any graven image. - Again, nothing inherently good about this crap. Just religious nonsense.

3 - Thou shalt not take god's name in vain. - This pattern is so boring. Just see #1 and #2.

4 - Remember the sabbath to keep it holy. - See #3.

5 - Honor thy father and thy mother. - Finally, something we can talk about. However, this isn't inherently good either. Why should I honor my dad if he's a prick and/or a murderer? What if he himself breaks all the other commandments? I shouldn't be forced to have to honor someone. It should be because they've earned it, which parents typically do.

6 - Thou shalt not kill - This is just common sense, don't take credit for the most fundamental of human instincts.

7 - Thou shalt not commit adultery - Adultery as defined does not mean cheating. It's simply sleeping with someone you didn't marry, even if your spouse is cool with it. So...why not?

8 - Thou shalt not steal - It's actually kind of sad that Christians need to be commanded to follow these common sense things, and even more sad that your god is apparently more concerned with his worship than his followers well being.

9 - Thou shalt not bear false witness - See #8

10 - Thou shalt not covet - Umm...why? There's nothing wrong with wishing to become a greater person and possess more wealth.

So I don't like the 10 commandments because it's all bullshit, and I don't want them anywhere that involves the government because that breaks the establishment clause of the constitution.

gkt70Td.png

The 10 commandment:

1 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me. - This isn't inherently good, just religious garbage. I also like how it implies other gods exist. lol.

2 - Thou shalt not worship any graven image. - Again, nothing inherently good about this crap. Just religious nonsense.

3 - Thou shalt not take god's name in vain. - This pattern is so boring. Just see #1 and #2.

4 - Remember the sabbath to keep it holy. - See #3.

5 - Honor thy father and thy mother. - Finally, something we can talk about. However, this isn't inherently good either. Why should I honor my dad if he's a prick and/or a murderer? What if he himself breaks all the other commandments? I shouldn't be forced to have to honor someone. It should be because they've earned it, which parents typically do.

6 - Thou shalt not kill - This is just common sense, don't take credit for the most fundamental of human instincts.

7 - Thou shalt not commit adultery - Adultery as defined does not mean cheating. It's simply sleeping with someone you didn't marry, even if your spouse is cool with it. So...why not?

8 - Thou shalt not steal - It's actually kind of sad that Christians need to be commanded to follow these common sense things, and even more sad that your god is apparently more concerned with his worship than his followers well being.

10 - Thou shalt not covet - Umm...why? There's nothing wrong with wishing to become a greater person and possess more wealth.

So I don't like the 10 commandments because it's all bullshit, and I don't want them anywhere that involves the government because that breaks the establishment clause of the constitution.

What hell hole are you looking for in life, exactly?

• Upvote 1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

It's kind of sad how people have to be warned that their cup of coffee is hot. 

• Upvote 3

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

It's kind of sad how people have to be warned that their cup of coffee is hot. 

I always chuckled at the warning labels on lead figures for role-playing games when they stated that the figurines are choking hazards. 

s-l400.jpg

Damn these look delicious, don't they?

Edited by The King in Yellow
  • Upvote 3

This isn't inherently good, just religious garbage. I also like how it implies other gods exist. lol.

Again, nothing inherently good about this crap. Just religious nonsense.

This pattern is so boring. Just see #1 and #2.

However, this isn't inherently good either. Why should I honor my dad if he's a prick and/or a murderer? What if he himself breaks all the other commandments? I shouldn't be forced to have to honor someone. It should be because they've earned it, which parents typically do.

This is just common sense, don't take credit for the most fundamental of human instincts.

Adultery as defined does not mean cheating. It's simply sleeping with someone you didn't marry, even if your spouse is cool with it. So...why not?

It's actually kind of sad that Christians need to be commanded to follow these common sense things, and even more sad that your god is apparently more concerned with his worship than his followers well being.

Umm...why? There's nothing wrong with wishing to become a greater person and possess more wealth.

So I don't like the 10 commandments because it's all bullshit

You're arrogance and lack of context about any of the Ten Commandments or their relevance for the people and time they were written for is astounding. You really should feel ashamed for yourself.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

God can't be sued. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Makes me think of that one woman who declared that she owned the sun.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

Christians don't have to follow the ten commandments.  Jesus came with only two commandments, and they entirely replaced the need for the other ten.  The Old Testament is a covenant with the Jewish People.  He will be their God and they will be His People.  They 10 commandments are as obsolete as goat sacrifice, religiously speaking as a Christian.

Mark 12: 30-31 really covers it.

you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.â€

If you love your neighbor, you don't bang his wife, steal from him, kill him,etc.  And if you love God, you don't take graven idols etc.  Ten into two.

Edited by Aisha Greyjoy
  • Upvote 1

Duke of House Greyjoy

Why Do Liberals Celebrate Christmas?

*shrug*

like every other non-christian that celebrate Christmas, I guess?

Don't know how is it in Murica and Europe but here in Asia Christmas stop being about Jesus's birthday a very, veeery long time ago. Now it's just a common holiday for us to emptied our wallets in shopping trips, gather with friends and families, eat delicious foods, worship Santa and generally have a good time away from the mess that is life.

Can't understand why you're not allow to have some fun unless you're liberal/conservative/christian/whatever-shit. Is it a Western-people thing?

• Upvote 2

Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday, it's Saturnalia

Saturnalia

Date

December 17–23

Christmas (from Old English Cristesmaesse, meaning "Christ's Mass")

Date

December 25 - Western Christianity and some Eastern churches; secular world

January 7 [O.S. December 25] - Some Eastern churches

January 6 - Armenian Apostolic and Armenian Evangelical Churches

January 19 [O.S. January 6] - Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem[6]

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Yule influence on Christmas is only in Germanic countries.

Most of the imagery is borrowed from Yule. There's not a lot about Saturnalia modern people would recognize.

Yeah who could recognize a big holiday feast and gift exchange at the end of December?

tvPWtuA.gif

The real questions is why do Christians celebrate Christmas?
Why don't they just celebrate the solstice and have their turkey and gravy a little earlier?

<~Sval[OWR]> I am your father.
<+Curufinwe> Can confirm

In my humble opinion, I think you've got the wrong idea about being liberal. Being liberal doesn't necessarily mean you're against religions, but it is against religions to be practiced in public (government institutions, public schools, and whatnot) where these facilities are funded by taxpayers' money from the mixed background of faith and beliefs.

Furthermore, the notion that being liberal means you're also an atheist is utterly wrong. There are many liberals who still believe in the Supreme Being and Jesus in particular. Thus, celebrating Christmas doesn't contradict them in any ways whatsoever.

Edited by Luckynako
  • Upvote 1