Why Do Liberals Celebrate Christmas?

Donald Trump

Most Liberals pride themselves on being against religion, being against the GOP and being against charity and preferring tax. 

So why do Liberals love Christmas? It's about as anti liberal as you can get involving the celebration of the birth of Jesus and I even see Liberals taking their kids to Nativity plays sometimes. Next min they're going on and on and on about how pictures of the 10 Commandments need taking down from public places and then they're going on about how god doesn't exist.

Then, they start sending presents to each other...just after moaning about how charity isn't working and how forcing people to pay taxes is a more effective method of providing aid to those in need. When it's basically the same thing!

So why does Liberals celebrate Christmas then? Is because they only care about themselves and not others? Well that makes sense a Liberals tend to be younger and young people are typically more narcissistic. 

So are liberals narcissists? Discuss. 

Human beings love to give and receive. A day to celebrate friends and family doesn't need to be scrapped because it had religious context. In the same way I'll still say things like 'Jesus Christ' and 'God damn it'. I see no reason to scrap a day that celebrates good things.

Human beings love to give and receive. A day to celebrate friends and family doesn't need to be scrapped because it had religious context. In the same way I'll still say things like 'Jesus Christ' and 'God damn it'. I see no reason to scrap a day that celebrates good things.

So why are liberals fine with moaning about the 10 commandments then? 

To Donald Trumps posting abilities:

giphy.gif

You have no clue what liberals want.

We want religion to stay out of government, not to dismantle religion itself.

Religion has NO place in American government. The government represents millions of Americans who may not be Christians, which is every american's right as a citizen. The freedom to worship any religion or to not have any religion at all.

Lrn2UseFacts

Edited by Abigail Griffin
  • Upvote 5

PoJQyFJ.gif

I don't know about that, he made you bite the bait pretty hard.

Tbh i was looking for a reason to use that gif.

But ig I took the bait with the replying with rest of my comment.

giphy.gif

PoJQyFJ.gif

The real Donald Trump has better shitposting abilities than you do. 

Sad. 

• Upvote 1

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

I use to be very against Christianity before I heard about these other garbage religions. I was like "well in the future everyone will be atheist" and I use to argue about religion with Christians. Nowadays I don't even care about chatting about God existing or not and I actually want Christianity to be strong.

Christmas is mostly about family getting together on rare occasions.  

IpHGyGc.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is under the assumption that Christmas belongs to religious people. You can do some studying to find the the holiday was made to bring in those of the Pagan faith (since the holiday fell on the same day as yule, and various other Pagan holidays). Christmas has become synonymous with caring and giving gifts between family and friends. Personally speaking, my family celebrates it as just that, a holiday of showing how generous we can be between each other and to strangers (as we take blankets and warm clothes to some of the local shelters). If Christmas was truly a religious holiday, then we would agree with asking the same question.

d0r0WcS.gif

If you actually do research we would find that Christmas was celebrated on January 6th corresponding to the Epiphany. There was never an exact date for the celebration designated for the birth of Jesus until after the Second Council and even then it was decided by the populous, not the Church itself.

The argument that the Church stole from Pagans/Heathens is amusing because all cultures adopt and adapt from others on virtually everything from toothcare, holidays, food, language, government, etc. and eventually to religious adoption and practice. This is not specifically a Christian invention, but a human practice that everyone does.

Why should all the Pagans in Rome get to celebrate during the Winter Solstice an orgy of Saturnalia?
*boom!* a Mass for the Birth of Christ!

In the North, Yule logs for the Nordic tribes.

If you actually do research we would find that Christmas was celebrated on January 6th corresponding to the Epiphany. There was never an exact date for the celebration designated for the birth of Jesus until after the Second Council and even then it was decided by the populous, not the Church itself.

The argument that the Church stole from Pagans/Heathens is amusing because all cultures adopt and adapt from others on virtually everything from toothcare, holidays, food, language, government, etc. and eventually to religious adoption and practice. This is not specifically a Christian invention, but a human practice that everyone does.

Why should all the Pagans in Rome get to celebrate during the Winter Solstice an orgy of Saturnalia?

*boom!* a Mass for the Birth of Christ!

In the North, Yule logs for the Nordic tribes.

Never said they stole it, but there's articles literally saying that they did it solely to attract people of pagan faiths.

Plus don't go on a whole bender about how the church never stole anything. The church has always had it's scummy moments. Might we bring up the Knights Templar were burned at the stake as heretics by the king, and the Pope/church "Under pressure from the king" took part of the mass wealth that the Templars accrued.

But this is about Liberals and Christmas, not corrupt Churches and the murder of people.

d0r0WcS.gif

Never said they stole it, but there's articles literally saying that they did it solely to attract people of pagan faiths.

Plus don't go on a whole bender about how the church never stole anything. The church has always had it's scummy moments. Might we bring up the Knights Templar were burned at the stake as heretics by the king, and the Pope/church "Under pressure from the king" took part of the mass wealth that the Templars accrued.

But this is about Liberals and Christmas, not corrupt Churches and the murder of people.

Where did I state that the Church never stole anything? I simply pointed out that humans naturally adopt and adapt practices.

• Upvote 1

all saint's day is the day after :v

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Heh, some would argue that the origins of Halloween were started by Christendom. Some debate that it was the Celtic Samhain festival for the Harvest. However, no documentation for Samhain exists before the celebration of All Saint's Day and the three festival days leading to it which include All Saint's Eve, October 31st.

• Upvote 1

Religion is dumb and irrational, but festivals are fun and part of healthy human sociology.

The people that invented (or popularized Christmas, which was ironically pre-Christ) didn't have much of a religious attachment to the festivities. The Roman festival was called Saturnalia and it was about getting smashed and breaking from the traditional social norms of the time. Kind of like Holloween. Here's a bonus question: Why do "Conservatives" or "Christians" celebrate Holloween, an obviously sacrilegious and non conservative holiday?

I think it should be said that some people of the sect of Christianity (i.e. Church of Christ, which is what I follow. Not defending it or forcing it, just sayin'.) don't celebrate Christmas as a means of the glorification of God or any eternal being. We don't celebrate it as His birth. We celebrate it because its fun. And can we be honest here? Who doesn't like getting surprises? Anyway, same thing for Halloween. We don't identify it as a sacrilegious or demonic time, we celebrate it because its fun! Dressing up and getting king-sized Reese's Cups! None of these holidays are anything religious to me. They are just fun times of giving and getting fat on carbs.  :P

Those are my thoughts at least.