12/24/2016 - Uncounterable Espionage

Alex

Im excited for this war, i personally asked Alex to look into the potential oversight to the war system disabling because there was nothing possible to do about three simultanious spy attacks destroying 42 out of 60 spies. Im not upset, im not whining, i very much look forward to showing tkr what its like to be beaten senseless. I very much believe that utilizing the OLD mechanic to stem a HUGE advantage in the NEW mechanic is the tactic of chicken shit !@#$.

Also, while this is not the purpose of the OP, I thought I'd address all the test-posting,"I didn't realize that MENSA were such whiners, lol."

Honestly, I don't think anyone here is whining. Personally, I always expect the pixel-huggers to run to Sheepy to change mechanics when they've been beat in some way. However, I didn't think that Pre/TEST would sink to that level.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

This just seems like smart game play to me. One side gave up the element of surprise and first-strike advantage in exchange for a spy advantage. They used the mechanics they were given and spent a significant amount of time, effort and money organizing a spy war - a war in which all players have same options available to them.

I know getting blitzed sucks, whether it be with spies or jets, but players need to be able to use the politics part of the game to get allies to counter for them, just like in any other war. These spy attacks can be countered by other alliances.

• Upvote 1

"You are a child with low reading comprehension. We didn't complain instead we complained."

Okay von.

How quaint :) you didnt even quote me you created a totally new statement using your perception of what i said. Alrighty then from now on its child speak to you.

• Administrators

Also, Sheepy, would you be partial to a P&W buyout? :3

You mean, you'd pay me to not have to babysit/argue with all of you anymore? What's your offer?  :lol:

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

My initial reaction to all of this was that I had no intention of making any changes, everyone had the same opportunities, the same sentiments echoed by others here in this thread. I felt that any action on my behalf would be the definition of bias, and totally unfair to those who took advantage of this opportunity, even if it was one I inadvertently created.

I took time to listen to the other side of the argument, sympathize with them, and even played devil's advocate for the majority of this thread, arguing in their favor. I brought this topic to the attention of the community for all to debate, and while most of the shit in here is "you suck" and "worst admin evar!!11" I am confident that this was an opportunity for me to see both points of view, gauge the community's interest in the matter, and then ultimately make my own decision.

Which, as of now, I still do not intend to take any action regarding this matter. I agree with my initial response, that while it is a bit of an abuse of war mechanics related to the update, it's an abuse that anyone was open to.

One last point: to anyone in this thread who said that they can't believe that I'm updating the game in the middle of a war (again), I can't help but laugh. This change was public knowledge for a good amount of time before any war started, and the fact that there's any ongoing war currently is not my fault, but the fault of those who decided starting a war right before a update was a good idea. That, quite frankly, is not my problem.

EDIT: I do intend to leave this thread open, however, and will consider delaying the changes to the spy system (including the nerf to killing spies, not just not buffing unit kills.)

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

You mean, you'd pay me to not have to babysit/argue with all of you anymore? What's your offer?  :lol:

Correctamundo. You could still be (paid) Head Developer or something though for your resume post-college if that's important to you.

A cash buyout basically, either 100% equity, or 51% equity -- whichever you'd prefer. If you're serious, do you have records of monthly credit sales?

• Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

Also, while this is not the purpose of the OP, I thought I'd address all the test-posting,"I didn't realize that MENSA were such whiners, lol."

Honestly, I don't think anyone here is whining. Personally, I always expect the pixel-huggers to run to Sheepy to change mechanics when they've been beat in some way. However, I didn't think that Pre/TEST would sink to that level.

This. The trend itself is unsurprising, the whinners being TEST is what, I thought, was out of character.

-signature removed for rules violation-

It's not cheating to make use of a perfectly legitimate game mechanic that's open to literally every halfway competent AA. Don't try to cast TKR as cheaters because you got caught with your pants down.

Why did BK report NPO to the admins last war for using a perfectly legitimate game mechanic literally open to everyone?

GICjEwp.gif

Guest Curufinwe

This just seems like smart game play to me. One side gave up the element of surprise and first-strike advantage in exchange for a spy advantage. They used the mechanics they were given and spent a significant amount of time, effort and money organizing a spy war - a war in which all players have same options available to them.

I know getting blitzed sucks, whether it be with spies or jets, but players need to be able to use the politics part of the game to get allies to counter for them, just like in any other war. These spy attacks can be countered by other alliances.

Exactly, if the situation was reversed and it was TEst running spy attacks against TKR, they'd have numerous alliances ready to back them up and counter in kind. TEst prides itself on its paperless status and has run an extremely aggressive FA for the past few months (as GPA, TFP, Pantheon, WTF, Valyria and I'm sure others can attest) and therefore might have fewer friends available to help than might otherwise be the case. Why it is fair to AAs that haven't (like TKR) to retroactively alter the spy mechanics (or delay their implementation) because TEst is seemingly unable to find someone to counter spy on their behalf? How is this different from them getting blitzed when they're politically isolated and have no one to back them up? In both cases it would be an issue of one side using politics more skillfully to take advantage of a mechanic open to everyone equally, which is the whole point of the politics portion of the game.

Why did BK report NPO to the admins last war for using a perfectly legitimate game mechanic literally open to everyone?

Just because it can be done does not mean it isn't against the rules. In this scenario, using spy attacks was certainly not against any rules.

• Upvote 1

Which, as of now, I still do not intend to take any action regarding this matter. I agree with my initial response, that while it is a bit of an abuse of war mechanics related to the update, it's an abuse that anyone was open to.

I think it's a good call, and am happy that a conclusion was reached in a timely manner. 

Just because it can be done does not mean it isn't against the rules. In this scenario, using spy attacks was certainly not against any rules.

Yeah, the bank thing wasn't against the rules. No rules were cited for the decision, just part of the title of the trading section.

GICjEwp.gif

One last point: to anyone in this thread who said that they can't believe that I'm updating the game in the middle of a war (again), I can't help but laugh. This change was public knowledge for a good amount of time before any war started, and the fact that there's any ongoing war currently is not my fault, but the fault of those who decided starting a war right before a update was a good idea.

To elaborate, none of us were upset by the upcoming public change of the new update. Everyone already knew about that and we were fine with it.

You had previously said: "Here are the changes coming ~3 days from now". We planned a war with the TEST sphere with those changes and (rough) timetable in mind. Our initial blitz was to trade a surprise attack for a spy advantage during these three days leading up to the war; so we are now at war with TEST. The obvious disadvantage is that now TEST has three days to gather their members to login on daychange/rally allies to attack us.

What us MENSA-posters were disappointed in was not the change coming, but what we perceived to be an update mid-war intended to nerf our initial spy attack after complaints from Prefontaine. If Prefontaine's suggestion was implemented (uncap spy buybacks), the spy blitz would have been a horrible decision, but we would have no way to predict that mechanics would change specifically to counteract our blitz.

Anyways, your decision is a sound one (even if we would have settled for less, tbh) -- but that's an explanation of our reasoning.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

It seems like no one else would have been !@#$ing over this if it happened to them. I mean really, what is the way to deal with a spying AA once they have been found out? You declare on them and blow them back to the stone age. Since Sheep's, in his infinate wisdom, forgot to disable the spy ops portion of the game during the same time as the war declaration was down was a pretty big !@#$ up IMO and one that should be fixed because he !@#$ed up. If the same thing would have happened to Mensa or TKR or BK or anyone else, they'd be !@#$ing about it too, so to everyone else out there, get the !@#$ off your high horse.

X4EfkAB.png

If the same thing would have happened to Mensa or TKR or BK or anyone else, they'd be !@#$ about it too, so to everyone else out there, get the !@#$ off your high horse.

Honestly, no we wouldn't. We'd get our allies to do counter-espionage operations against the aggressor.

TEST is in the unique position of having no coordinated allies, so this was the only real avenue to take. We wouldn't have had to resort to it though.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

Honestly, no we wouldn't. We'd get our allies to do counter-espionage operations against the aggressor.

TEST is in the unique position of having no coordinated allies, so this was the only real avenue to take. We wouldn't have had to resort to it though.

You say that now, but if it had happened to you, you'd be pissing and moaning and screaming like a 5 year old little girl......and everyone knows it.

• Upvote 1

X4EfkAB.png