Resource Stockpile Limit

Shakyr

I seem to have hit a limit at 999,999.99 Food. If I buy 1 Food off the market, the counter doesn't increase and the Food is lost somewhere in the ether. If I then sell 1 Food, the counter does decrease (even though I just bought 1 Food).

Checked my logs and it seems I hit the limit yesterday at some point. Which means I've lost at least $1,200,000 (rough market equivalent for 12,000 units of Food), because of this bug/badly implemented feature.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

I seem to have hit a limit at 999,999.99 Food. If I buy 1 Food off the market, the counter doesn't increase and the Food is lost somewhere in the ether. If I then sell 1 Food, the counter does decrease (even though I just bought 1 Food).

Checked my logs and it seems I hit the limit yesterday at some point. Which means I've lost at least $1,200,000 (rough market equivalent for 12,000 units of Food), because of this bug/badly implemented feature.

Sheepy said this was due to the server. If he was to increase the limit, he said the server would lag and take longer to load.

LTcxGHN.jpg

Sheepy said this was due to the server. If he was to increase the limit, he said the server would lag and take longer to load.

Even if this is the case, it's badly implemented. Resources should not be lost into the ether, without any warning.

I've also lost money in this, because I'm having to dump Food onto the market at below rate, just to get rid of it and make room.

I'm kinda glad though it was only Food, not something like Steel or Gasoline.

also, if you have 1mil food, you shouldn't need to worry about selling it at x value

Whether I have a million food has no correlation to how much I should or should not want to sell it at. It's taken me a good couple of months to get this far with maximum farms, quite simply because I wanted to have a stockpile of over a million food.

Look, all I'm saying is that if there is a hard cap in place, then bloody well implement it as a "feature", so that every player knows ingame that there is a limit on resource storage. As it currently is, having no warning that your resources are just disappearing into thin air, is not very player friendly.

• Upvote 3

If you're at the stage that you could 'unwillingly and unwittingly lose potentially millions of dollars in resources' then it isn't really a big deal when you lose it. A new nation who hasn't had time to learn there is a limit is the one that needs their hands held. Your nation is over one and a half years old, if you haven't taken the time to figure out there is a limit, you shouldn't be asking the admins to take the time to change the game because you didn't pay attention when spending. This reads like a 15 year old whiny rant when the world doesn't go his way. A million isn't a lot, so suck it up and move on.

• Upvote 2

If you're at the stage that you could 'unwillingly and unwittingly lose potentially millions of dollars in resources' then it isn't really a big deal when you lose it. A new nation who hasn't had time to learn there is a limit is the one that needs their hands held. Your nation is over one and a half years old, if you haven't taken the time to figure out there is a limit, you shouldn't be asking the admins to take the time to change the game because you didn't pay attention when spending. This reads like a 15 year old whiny rant when the world doesn't go his way. A million isn't a lot, so suck it up and move on.

+1. Every time something doesn't go the way of a few players they really give Alex way more shit than he deserves. We all now know that there is obviously a limit in place, ONE person suffered roughly 1.2mil in losses. If you lose any further money when you now know it's a thing, you deserve it.

"Omg Alex I can't believe you haven't responded to us omg you're going to lose players because you're an admin that doesn't care about his players. I can't believe you haven't taken the time to let us know this is a feature now that we all obviously know that this is a feature" You're actually joking when you make these posts, right, guys?

Edited by Mageofpie
  • Upvote 1

Nope. I agree that there should be a hard cap. There's no reason to keep all those resources and it only keeps the resources in the top nations and not in the smaller nations. By forcing them to sell the food, it makes it so nations can't hoard millions of resources that impede the growth of smaller nations.

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

Over that year and a half, I've read the majority of all ingame documentation. Nowhere was there even the hint of any hard cap on resources. Not surprised that the only mention of it is on the forums though, that was how I found the vast majority of game formulae (and rebuilt most of the city management in a spreadsheet).

Also, it doesn't matter how old my nation is. There are nations that are way older than me and smaller. Income is purely based on nation size. Nor does it really matter how much people lose, it's the principal of the matter.

And only reason I called out Sheepy in that last post, was because he'd answered other posts and completely ignored mine.

Nope. I agree that there should be a hard cap. There's no reason to keep all those resources and it only keeps the resources in the top nations and not in the smaller nations. By forcing them to sell the food, it makes it so nations can't hoard millions of resources that impede the growth of smaller nations.

Nowhere did I say that there shouldn't be a hard cap. All I'm trying to push for now, is that there should be an actual better implementation of the limit, ingame.

Look, let me put it this way. If your bank had a limit of $100,000 on all accounts, did not mention this in any official documentation and any money over that limit was lost forever, would you not want it added to official documentation and changed so that you at least could not lose money, even if the limit stayed in place? For the sake of the example, there is no other bank and you can't take them to court.

Edited by Shakyr

So people will just abuse muiltis to store resources as well then? 

Great idea kiddo. 

Look, let me put it this way. If your bank had a limit of $100,000 on all accounts, did not mention this in any official documentation and any money over that limit was lost forever, would you not want it added to official documentation and changed so that you at least could not lose money, even if the limit stayed in place? For the sake of the example, there is no other bank and you can't take them to court.

I'd say it's more the equivalent of reading the fine print. Sheepy might have actually raised the limits a while ago tbh. Also, like people above have said, your alliance has a bank, stash it there if you're so concerned.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

The complaint here is not that there is a cap. The complaint is that, other than buried within the forums somewhere, there is no documentation that indicates there is a cap, and no warning as you approach it. A less perceptive player could lose hundreds of thousands of food before noticing that they are stuck at 999,999.99. The attitude that "well that's just how it is, deal with it" is shit, frankly. People pay actual money to Sheepy for the maintenance and development of this game, and since this isn't a bug, there should be something in the game that warns you before you hit the cap that such a cap exists. Just accepting that an undocumented feature exists and allowing the developer of the game to continue to not do anything to document it is how you end up with developers who no longer update their games, because if the player base is simply willing to accept your apathy towards the game and continue to give you money, why would you put effort in to make it better?

Fine print where? It's never been clearly documented. Hell, is there a cap on money or credits?

Fine print = the forums, follow your own metaphors. And obviously yes? Although I doubt anyone's going to dump hundreds if thousands of dollars into the game just to hit the credit cap.

The complaint here is not that there is a cap. The complaint is that, other than buried within the forums somewhere, there is no documentation that indicates there is a cap, and no warning as you approach it. A less perceptive player could lose hundreds of thousands of food before noticing that they are stuck at 999,999.99. The attitude that "well that's just how it is, deal with it" is shit, frankly. People pay actual money to Sheepy for the maintenance and development of this game, and since this isn't a bug, there should be something in the game that warns you before you hit the cap that such a cap exists. Just accepting that an undocumented feature exists and allowing the developer of the game to continue to not do anything to document it is how you end up with developers who no longer update their games, because if the player base is simply willing to accept your apathy towards the game and continue to give you money, why would you put effort in to make it better?

There's a number of things that aren't properly documented, be more active and attentive. Edited by Malal
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Fine print = the forums, follow your own metaphors. And obviously yes? Although I doubt anyone's going to dump hundreds if thousands of dollars into the game just to hit the credit cap.

There's a number of things that aren't properly documented, be more active and attentive.

> Says its on forums

> Offers no proof

See the current limit has never been explicitly mentioned once by Alex, probably because he assumed no one would hit it so soon. Hell, even you clearly aren't attentive enough to know what the actual caps for credits and cash are.

If the limit is intentional, it needs to be clear. It's pretty simple.

The Coalition Discord: https://discord.gg/WBzNRGK

-snip-

Caps for raw resources (minus food) are 99,999.99 other resources are 999,999.99 and cash is 9,999,999,999.99. Credits are legitimately irrelevant. Also, sheepy said he was raising the caps a bit ago, he might have already raised them though. I don't care enough to actually bother double checking tbh, if you do go ahead. Edited by Malal

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I actually did a search of the forums, just to see how widespread any mention of a resource cap, was. I found 3 mentions, the first which was before I started playing. The last was a suggestion from last week, about removing/raising the cap. Which I wouldn't have noticed, because I have a life and don't regularly visit the forums.

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4874-resource-cap/#entry73081... Feb 2015, cap got increased

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8894-some-resources-capped-at-9999999/... Oct 2015, someone else lost resources when hitting the cap (test server)

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17406-remove-resource-cap/... Nov 2016, suggestion to remove/increase resource cap

The cap as far as I knew was common knowledge. Your econ minister should have informed you of it.

Probably better off selling some of that food and providing monetary assistance to your fellow alliance members.

Edited by Night King

Untitled.png

There's a number of things that aren't properly documented, be more active and attentive.

And once again, as players of this game, that should not be acceptable to us. Actual features of the game (especially ones that negatively impact players) should be documented somewhere at a minimum. The attitude of "well you should just know these things" is why new players have trouble grasping these kinds of games sometimes, and why player retention can be a problem.

• Upvote 1

The cap as far as I knew was common knowledge. Your econ minister should have informed you of it.

Issue being, if it isn't officially documented, how is any of our government meant to know about it? Not like anyone told us when we were starting out "Oh hey, if you want to stockpile 2 million Food, you're going to have issues."

Given the recent game mechanics with regards to Nuclear Weapons, stockpiling Food isn't a bad idea, either.

And once again, as players of this game, that should not be acceptable to us. Actual features of the game (especially ones that negatively impact players) should be documented somewhere at a minimum. The attitude of "well you should just know these things" is why new players have trouble grasping these kinds of games sometimes, and why player retention can be a problem.

Yes, all those poor week old players stuck at 999,999.99 food.

lik if u cri evrytim

• Upvote 2

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win